Harry Redknapp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let us all see what we threw away because he has “a saggy face”, wanted the England job one day, and was found innocent in court
Funny how we remember things differently.

I was at WHL for the Newcastle game after he had been acquitted, and after the England position became available. The atmosphere was electric, and to me it felt like the very peak of Spurs under Harry.

The club had stuck by Harry throughout the court case, providing legal support and outwardly defending him.

Despite being in a great position in the league we then went on to collapse. Harry seemed to be clamouring for the England job every time a microphone was in the vicinity (ultimately pointless given his ongoing issues with Trevor Brooking, who was always going to veto any potential appointment of Harry).

The rumours (and I fully admit this is all they are) we're that Harry completely checked out of the running of the team, no longer attending the daily training sessions and apparently turning his attention solely to the England job.

He also apparently phoned Levy to discuss a new contract as Levy was attending his mother's funeral.

I felt sad when Harry was sacked, but it also felt like a necessity. I also got the impression that his relationship with Levy had deteriorated, so I find it difficult to imagine him ever being welcomed back.

I was at WHL for the Newcastle game after he had been acquitted, and after the England position became available. The atmosphere was electric, and to me it felt like the very peak of Spurs under Harry.

The club had stuck by Harry throughout the court case, providing legal support and outwardly defending him.

Despite being in a great position in the league we then went on to collapse. Harry seemed to be clamouring for the England job every time a microphone was in the vicinity (ultimately pointless given his ongoing issues with Trevor Brooking, who was always going to veto any potential appointment of Harry).

The rumours (and I fully admit this is all they are) we're that Harry completely checked out of the running of the team, no longer attending the daily training sessions and apparently turning his attention solely to the England job.

He also apparently phoned Levy to discuss a new contract as Levy was attending his mother's funeral.

I felt sad when Harry was sacked, but it also felt like a necessity. I also got the impression that his relationship with Levy had deteriorated, so I find it difficult to imagine him ever being welcomed back.
The thing is, he didn’t get the job, so none of it should have mattered.
When Poch hitched his skirt for PSG on 2016, should we have sacked him or just paid him more

Arry In.

Not trolling either. Until the end of the season.

We need someone right on the "put his arm arohnd players" end of the spectrum to help fix things caused by having the polar opposite do so much damage.

The thing is, he didn’t get the job, so none of it should have mattered.
When Poch hitched his skirt for PSG on 2016, should we have sacked him or just paid him more
The damage had already been done, so I guess it was too little too late.

I appreciate that he fell victim to the standards that he himself had raised, and I haven't forgotten that we still finished in the top four that season (yeah thanks Bayern), but by and large I didn't get the impression that many fans were surprised when he was sacked. A lot of fans never forgot his "5th is as good as it gets" comment (or words to that effect), and our capitulation in the league had turned the atmosphere at the club very sour.

Pochettino flirting with PSG didn't seem to dent our performances, so it wasn't really much of an issue. Either way, he didn't last long after his comments before the CL final.

The damage had already been done, so I guess it was too little too late.

I appreciate that he fell victim to the standards that he himself had raised, and I haven't forgotten that we still finished in the top four that season (yeah thanks Bayern), but by and large I didn't get the impression that many fans were surprised when he was sacked. A lot of fans never forgot his "5th is as good as it gets" comment (or words to that effect), and our capitulation in the league had turned the atmosphere at the club very sour.

Pochettino flirting with PSG didn't seem to dent our performances, so it wasn't really much of an issue. Either way, he didn't last long after his comments before the CL final.
“You’ve never had it so good”

To be fair, a lot of us hadn’t

Don't forget, in his book, he admitted that in a game against Swansea, he was watching Brenda Rodgers and thinking about whether or not to appoint him as his assistant when he got the job.
I genuinely think he was certain the England job was his and wasn't giving us 100%. And players pick that up

Honestly, of all the clueless opinions seen on this board.

Harry Redknapp, who hasn't managed a side in 4 years (where he was at Brum for 3 months), so actually hasn't managed properly for 7 years as a caretaker?

The guy who is currently doing the rounds on This Morning, Loose Woman, The Wright Stuff etc.

I know Jose is bad, but fuck me lads, have a think about it.
Nah there's nothing to lose, I see your logic but he is younger than Hodgeson and he is merely a place holder. He was always about man management . There is enough talent in this squad to play radically better than it is, he would still be able to do this.
Stick Ryan Mason in to help and it would be WAY better than what we see now. A dream team of Me, sammyspurs sammyspurs Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman would be better than what we are seeing.

Nah there's nothing to lose, I see your logic but he is younger than Hodgeson and he is merely a place holder. He was always about man management . There is enough talent in this squad to play radically better than it is, he would still be able to do this.
Stick Ryan Mason in to help and it would be WAY better than what we see now. A dream team of Me, sammyspurs sammyspurs Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman would be better than what we are seeing.
It's nothing to do with age. Hiddink is older.

He hasn't properly managed in 7 years.

We talk about the game passing Jose Mourinho by, but don't think it would have passed by a Loose Women guest?

This is all wishful thinking.

Since Spurs he failed epically at both QPR and Birmingham.

Even when he was still in football, he was waning.

Dude is advertising jam roly polys on the telly now.

Harry has moved on from football so appointing him as caretaker would be a massive gamble.

Yes, he comes off as a nice bloke who puts his arm around the players shoulders. But that is not a guarantee that he will turn things around either.

'Arry had his best years with us, pity he didn't appreciate what he had. I like him, he's a real character but wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I admire his genuine love for Sandra, but he has a very selective memory, IMO.

Harry Redknapp, who hasn't managed a side in 4 years (where he was at Brum for 3 months), so actually hasn't managed properly for 7 years as a caretaker?

The guy who is currently doing the rounds on This Morning, Loose Woman, The Wright Stuff etc.

Are you surprised at the suggestion though? I’m not.

Are you surprised at the suggestion though? I’m not.
I mean, if we're gonna take it back to the old school...

1571376231_273796_1571376762_noticia_normal.jpg

For less than half a season playing the way we are now, it is hardly a gamble.

He'd get this lot playing and he got us to 4th twice with a much worse squad (Modric and prime Bale aside).

Honestly, if we lose the next 2 I would drive him up from Dorset myself.

For less than half a season playing the way we are now, it is hardly a gamble.

He'd get this lot playing and he got us to 4th twice with a much worse squad (Modric and prime Bale aside).

Honestly, if we lose the next 2 I would drive him up from Dorset myself.
He's been removed from management for 7 years.

It is a massive gamble to bring in someone that has barely been involved with football as caretaker, let alone manager.

He's been removed from management for 7 years.

It is a massive gamble to bring in someone that has barely been involved with football as caretaker, let alone manager.

We gave Tim Sherwood the job in the same way, and I can't see how this would be more risky.

What is the massive gamble, that we don't finish in the top 4? At the current rate we won't be finishing in the top 10.

We gave Tim Sherwood the job in the same way, and I can't see how this would be more risky.
No we didn't. Tim got the job based on him being Redknapp's assistant and then our technical director and U21 manager.

The game has passed 'Arry by way more than it has Jose. And unlike some I don't think that Harry's lax man management style will respond with the players. It's not enough to just "go out there and have a run around".

Back
Top Bottom