Harry Redknapp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's right though about pundits know all the answers and can tell you in minute detail where teams go wrong. But when it comes to actually managing a team, those who have actually had a go are pretty unsuccessful. The way that people hang on every word they say, as they don't have an opinion of their own!

Saw this earlier, apologies if posted before, made me laugh.

Harry Redknapp: “I signed a player once. Top player. Fantastic player. We'd done the deal, then he wanted a goal bonus. He was a striker. I said 'What do you think we're paying you 50 grand a week for, to miss them?'"

😂

Sorry, I don't buy that Redknapp led these clubs into financial trouble.
He may heave been a bit on the crooked side. He may have taken a cut from agents for deals.(obviously, i am not saying he actually did.)

but at the end of the day, it was the likes of peter storrie, terry brown, Milan Mandaric that were signing the cheques, not redknapp.

Ive heard the same stuff spouted by Palace supporters over the time that Venables was there with Mark Goldberg, as though Venables was given the company cheque book.
I just dont buy it. All these clubs, with the possible exception of Bournemouth, have been owned by rich men. You dont get rich by entrusting the company bank account to a man that claims he can barely read or write.

I'm gonna give Harry credit on this one...

I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life the night I went to watch Chelsea win the 2012 Champions League final.

You all know what happened. Chelsea were outplayed by Bayern Munich — as they had been by Barcelona and by Napoli in previous rounds — but they won the trophy.

It meant Spurs hadn’t qualified for the following season’s Champions League, despite finishing fourth — two points above Chelsea in the Premier League. They took our place as holders. I was distraught. I felt like crying.

Jamie invited me over — he said Sky had a box at the game and I should go as his guest.

Ruud Gullit was there and was carrying on right in front of me like a lunatic. He had nothing riding on the game — Chelsea had sacked him, for heaven’s sake — but he didn’t care.

Ruud was jumping around, cheering, singing, banging on the windows to draw the attention of the Chelsea players — and, when they looked up, in the background was me, feeling probably at my lowest as a football manager.

In the end, I think Jamie got quite upset on my behalf.

‘Ruud, do us a favour, they sacked you, didn’t they?’ he said to him. ‘Ah, yes, but that was different people,’ said Ruud and then carried on oblivious.

I felt embarrassed, really, as if I was spoiling the party, but I still think his behaviour was over the top.

FC%20Bayern%20Muenchen%20v%20Chelsea%20FC%20-%20UEFA%20Champions%20League%20Final-841500
- this is not the picture used in the article, i put it here because he's actually touching the trophy.

Ruud will never work again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-night-football-life--Ruud-Gullit-doing.html
Bloody hell that night still haunts my memory

Yes, he's only in charge of signing 75 players on Prem wages. Poor soul, he done nuffink wrong, guv. Rosie signed them!

Does it not strike you as odd that the pattern is rather similar in most clubs he goes to?
If the chairmen of those clubs would have said 'no', then he wouldn't have been able to sign them. As a manager, if he gets the go ahead to sign a target then he should go for it! Was David O'Leary the reason why Leeds were riddled with debt? No, the men running the club allowed him to sign players on huge wages!

QPR weren't in the best of financial states when Redknapp took over anyway - Jose Bosingwa was signed before he arrived and he was on £80k a week!

Last edited:
Agree with Park Lane James Park Lane James . The idea that this is somehow Redknapp's fault is nonsense. Just because half of you can't stand him, it doesn't mean he's to blame for QPR's debt. The absurd squad they had last year was an inheritance. He had no involvement over the silly wages or the players signed. Any players signed since have been done so with the authority of the owners, which is where the financial buck stops. Not at the manager's door.

Tricks Of The Mind
'Arry didn't stop talking there, however; not by a long shot. Instead he spoke of his fond memories of Rio Ferdinand after the defender's retirement.

'I signed Rio as a 14-year-old and it doesn't seem like 10 minutes ago that I was sitting in the dressing room with him and his mate Tony McFarlane at West Ham's training ground,' Redknapp wrote.

'They came together, two kids from South London. Me and Frank Lampard Sr were chatting to them and they were asking us questions like 'What do the players eat before they play?' 'What boots does Di Canio wear?' 'How do they warm up?'.

Okay, so where to start with this? Firstly, Rio originally joined West Ham as an 11-year-old rather than at 14. However, even if we take that as a semantic misunderstanding things get a little murky.

Rio Ferdinand didn't turn 15 until November 7 1993, so we will assume that this anecdote happened in 1993 at some point. Why on earth was Rio asking about Paolo Di Canio's boots when the Italian was playing for Juventus and Napoli that year?

In fact, Di Canio didn't join West Ham until 1999, when Ferdinand was 20 and had made 75 appearances for the club. Are we to believe he was still starstruck then?

Back
Top Bottom