Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

no better them mason or carroll .loses the ball way to much in dangerous areas gets knocked of the ball way to easy .passing he's pretty average ,yeah he has a good engine on him and that's the only reason he gets in front of dier or wanyama because he can get round the pitch .get sissoko and n'dombele fully fit he never plays.

Simply not true.. holds his own in a tackle, can pass and can move.
Upset about being 0-1 down at half time and want to blame somebody.. Winks aint the one to blame. Dele didn't do anything for us. There's your blame.

Fucks sake. Here we go again. In the aftermath of a loss Winksy gets a ludicrous share of the blame...

A couple of poor touches early on last night but recovered well, especially as he was outnumbered time and again.

I’m not sure what game some of his detractors watch but you can’t have 11 Dombellies waddling about the pitch waiting for the odd trick or dip of the shoulder. Winks - and other players like him - do the difficult, unglamorous work allowing the flair players to do their stuff.

When the balance of the whole team is right, Winks and Lo Celso look a great combination but that balance has to be there otherwise you are asking him to do too much...

Lastly, as a homegrown player in a world of mercenaries he deserves more respect from our fan base and the kind of support and patience shown over the years to the likes of Perryman, Hoddle, Ledley, Kane and now hopefully Japhet.

hes average only plays because we got no one better that's a fact .

Last night Winks/Gedson was not a good CM2, largely because Gedson (on his starting debut so he's excused) didn't get on the ball that much. Change to playing him alongside Ndombele and the CM2 works far better, with Winks also doing far better.

Ludicrous to blame Winks, who was far better than half the team last night, Aurier and Davies (still not fully match fit after injury) probably the worst 2 on the pitch.

He always gives his all and bleeds spurs so does alright by me, even if he doesn't finally end up first choice. Once they found their rhythm - too late in the game unfortunately - he was quality enough.

Handy young homegrown squad player but not someone you want starting the big games.
Has one of the best "big game" records in our squad ... this season best rated games, Man City and Liverpool worst rated B'mouth and Wolves ... he nearly always turns up for big games, he didn't go missing last night.

Whilst he's fairly anonymous he's miles ahead of Mason, Carroll, Ohara it's why he's rated at 45m ....

He might fail but I'm backing him for a massive career, players in his position peak at 26/27 he's still only 24 give the lad a break. As usual he was ranked in our top three outfield players yesterday, not spectacular but we'd be fecked without him.

Put a class DCM alongside him and he'll shine.

Last edited:
Someone didn't watch us beat City.
We where shit against city .. it was the luckiest win of the season .
do you really think he was good against city ? (1 good run that ended in lucky 2 yellow beside ) i do love the man and appreciate his passion and hope he does stay with us but as a squad player not first team player.
at-least until he will improve his off the ball defensive movement or offer something to the attack ..

Winks is not the problem. He is without doubt a good player. But he is lightweight, he gets bullies too much for a cm. If he had a Roy Keane or Patrick Viera along by his side.

We must see a different player then. I thought he did extremely well under the circumstances, the same for the majority of the team.

No striker, no goals what do people genuinely expect when fate gives you a raw deal?

Hm, sorry, for 2nd time today I have to disagree with something fundamental - the fact that we did not score a goal was not down to poor performance of attacking players. The game was lost in midfield. Which Winks was a part of. Hence "no goals" was more of a result of his (and our midfield performance) rather than "no goals" would be an excuse for his performance level.

Literally there is a clichee "Midfield is where you win and lose games". Expected ppl to have heard about it.

Yesterday there was no one who could have dribbled / run / pass through their midfield with the ball. That allowed their two lines to drop back comfortably and double or triple mark the attacking player. Even if we would have had Kane there yesterday he would have been in middle of the crowd of Leipzig players.

I am not saying Winks was s*it nor worst player on field (not even in CM) but to call it "coping extremely well" is very much an overstatement. Gedson was quite useless yesterday - 1 good cross and other time giving the ball away. Lo Celso in turn was only player who managed to find some really cleaver passes and ways to control the ball/tempo even for short periods. Winks was in the middle. He did ok. Kept ball moving at times, made some very important blocks / tackles as well. At the same time he often lacked ability or alertness to play the right pass and he was outrun by Leipzig player for number of times. On 10 point scale I'd say Lo Celso was 7,5, Winks like 6 and Gedson 4,5.

Hm, sorry, for 2nd time today I have to disagree with something fundamental - the fact that we did not score a goal was not down to poor performance of attacking players. The game was lost in midfield. Which Winks was a part of. Hence "no goals" was more of a result of his (and our midfield performance) rather than "no goals" would be an excuse for his performance level.

Literally there is a clichee "Midfield is where you win and lose games". Expected ppl to have heard about it.

Yesterday there was no one who could have dribbled / run / pass through their midfield with the ball. That allowed their two lines to drop back comfortably and double or triple mark the attacking player. Even if we would have had Kane there yesterday he would have been in middle of the crowd of Leipzig players.

I am not saying Winks was s*it nor worst player on field (not even in CM) but to call it "coping extremely well" is very much an overstatement. Gedson was quite useless yesterday - 1 good cross and other time giving the ball away. Lo Celso in turn was only player who managed to find some really cleaver passes and ways to control the ball/tempo even for short periods. Winks was in the middle. He did ok. Kept ball moving at times, made some very important blocks / tackles as well. At the same time he often lacked ability or alertness to play the right pass and he was outrun by Leipzig player for number of times. On 10 point scale I'd say Lo Celso was 7,5, Winks like 6 and Gedson 4,5.
I know alot of people think criticising a player is wrong. But if you play in the champions league and you play for Tottenham. You should be open for criticism. If i was making £80k a WEEK i wouldn't mind beeing under scrutiny. I would cheerish it

I know alot of people think criticising a player is wrong. But if you play in the champions league and you play for Tottenham. You should be open for criticism. If i was making £80k a WEEK i wouldn't mind beeing under scrutiny. I would cheerish it

In some sense I understand both sides that take things to extreme here in the topic.

I understand those who defend Winks, because some other posters have been saying that "He is Championsip level player" and "He is useless" etc - clearly an overreaction and very, very big generalization!! And also not true. He has been valuable player for us in other games.

I understand those who point out his yesterday's performance - he could have done better. Most likely they just put it kind of over the top, based on emotion. I also expected more from him.

But I would really love to see that people would
1) make a distinction between his performance in one game and his overall quality!
2) try to explain and discuss what he did well / badly or how did he perform compared to teammates...etc. Just saying "He is s*it" is ... sorry but stupid. Also saying "He is football genius" is kind of stupid.

Back
Top Bottom