Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But the point is if We get rid of Winks we effectively get rid of 2 players Winks and the foreign player who misses out.
Skipp In yes I'd like that but then that's 1 less player.

Given the foreign player issues we have in the squad we really need to try keep the homegrown ones saying that I'd like to see Bale/Dele/Winks gone next window.. Dier too if possible.

You're mistaken on this one (I believe).

As Herclueless Herclueless here says...

With or without Winks we are allowed a maximum of 17 foreign players, no foreign player misses out if he goes, it just means we would have a squad of 24 senior players, assuming we didn't sign another HG.

Think about it like this: we could technically have a squad size of 17 (excluding 'squad B' youngsters like Skipp will be) made up entirely of foreign players and not a single home grown player if we were mental and decided to do so.

There's no foreign player spot lost for not filling a senior HG slot. The 'punishment' in itself is that you'd only be able to have a senior squad size of 24.

Don't believe me? Look at the wikipedia page for it which has the following line:

Each season the Premier League lists the squads for each of its clubs for the season on 1 September (after the summer transfer window[5] closes). Each club is able to list up to 17 senior players that are not English or Welsh and did not spend a significant period in an English or Welsh academy, plus any number of homegrown players up to a maximum squad size of 25, plus an unlimited number of academy and under-21 players.

How and when would i have the energy and guile to read and analyze a post? I drink my friend.
But i agree.

Think about it like this: we could technically have a squad size of 17 (excluding 'squad B' youngsters like Skipp will be) made up entirely of foreign players and not a single home grown player if we were mental and decided to do so.

There's no foreign player spot lost for not filling a senior HG slot. The 'punishment' in itself is that you'd only be able to have a senior squad size of 24.

Don't believe me? Look at the wikipedia page for it which has the following line:

Each season the Premier League lists the squads for each of its clubs for the season on 1 September (after the summer transfer window[5] closes). Each club is able to list up to 17 senior players that are not English or Welsh and did not spend a significant period in an English or Welsh academy, plus any number of homegrown players up to a maximum squad size of 25, plus an unlimited number of academy and under-21 players.

Maybe I'm thinking the EL , either way I easily get confused by these sort of things ;)

That is correct. Having 1 less homegrown player doesnt mean we'd be only allowed 16 foreign players. That would be silly.

I would say his best 5 games all came in the Champions League - Real Madrid H+A, Dortmund Away (2017), Barcelona Away, Man City Home, PSV Home.

I remember watching those games thinking he had really ran the show for us. I'm struggling to think of PL matches in which he had the same impact. A lot of solid performances under Poch but I think what stood out in those CL games was they were more tactical and less physical so he got to see more of the ball and in many ways started off all our forward play.

Maybe I'm thinking the EL , either way I easily get confused by these sort of things ;)
Hah, no worries. But you're right in the EL being even more of a pain in the arse because of the additional 'club trained', not just home grown, category and Davies not even counting as home grown in the EL anyway for the sin of starting in the welsh FA.

One wonders how long Davies and Dier will last at the club considering the 'home grown' issues with both versus their on the pitch talent.

This was training for Everton, minute 5:14 should’ve been a clue to what Winks was going to do v Everton. Just not good enough I’m afraid.

Like one of your mates who’s not really that good and costs your team but you can’t fuck him off cos he’s a sweet soft lad and you’ll hate to break his heart, so you abide him, but deep down you wish you can twat him off the team!

Last edited:
He can't be worse than Winks. He's probably a better player now and he's 5 years younger.

The main problem Skipp will have is this fucking tool of a manager will have him sat on the bench most weeks then complain he's not at the right level when he finally does play him.
You need to be careful with young players and not just drop them at the deep end.

Fans should appreciate a manager that prefers to send a young player on loan to get consistent minutes to continue his development and not leave him to rot on the bench with the first team or play him against tough opposition and risk a loss of confidence.

Who knows, Winks might have developed into a better player if he had gone on loan to the championship or lower PL clubs. Dont think Winks got 1k+ mins in any of his first four seasons with the senior team. His developmental years were basically wasted and he simply stopped developing.

The most important number is the limit on foreign players to a max of 17. A limit we have already breached for EL and thus cant register all our foreign players (Note UEFA has more restrictive rules)

So unless we get rid of a couple foreign players, we will not be able to add another.

The most important number is the limit on foreign players to a max of 17. A limit we have already breached for EL and thus cant register all our foreign players (Note UEFA has more restrictive rules)

So unless we get rid of a couple foreign players, we will not be able to add another.
You really sit around thinking about squad when we have all the best in the world and still can't figure it out.

But the point is if We get rid of Winks we effectively get rid of 2 players Winks and the foreign player who misses out.
Skipp In yes I'd like that but then that's 1 less player.

Given the foreign player issues we have in the squad we really need to try keep the homegrown ones saying that I'd like to see Bale/Dele/Winks gone next window.. Dier too if possible.
Dier doesn't count as home grown so he could be the foreign player to miss out. Job done

Back
Top Bottom