Have we signed Milan Škriniar yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is one thing Daniel Levy definitely isn't. I seriously doubt he has ever gambled a penny in his life. The guy is an accountant, born to balance books and haggle the price of something down to the bone. Gamblers come in two categories as you said, Winners and Losers. He would never take the risk of being the latter in any sort of financial deal. Call him lots of other things but a 'gambler' no, never.

As someone who works as financial analyst and whose hobby is watching football... I cannot disagree with you more.

From financial side, sure he keeps his books balanced.
But the gambling part comes in play in terms of impact of this on footballing side of things.
He is gambling quite often with how he chooses to strenghten the side or moving on players - buying players on last hours of deadline day that has been his operating method quite often IS risk in its essence. There is less time to negotiate and more things are out of your control than usual.
Plus we have seen for number of times how he decides to bluff instead of playing it safe while selling deadwood players. While he has been good with selling HG players such as Carroll, Prichard etc he has often failed with maximizing gain for overseas players (N'ije, N'Koudou, Janssen, Soldado etc). Many times he has overplayed his hand and as a result of that we have been stuck with paying wages to useless player who has no place in the squad and who is not trusted by the manager.

Insane window if we get him over the line, really can’t fault levy these past 2 summer windows, there’s no more scrounging round the French league for cheap punts , he’s really going for it

It makes you wonder whether Poch would have been afforded these riches had he not lost the plot.
The amount spent (fees and wages) is strange considering the conditions recently and the uncertainty of the coming months.

I'm not complaining though. However... the pressure will really be on José to deliver. I said the same of Klopp last season. It was his last chance. If he didn't win the league then he was a failure. I don't think that's true for José this season, but with the trust shown in him by the chairman, he will have to repay him with results.

Also I'd love to know the nitty gritty of the vision for the club. Is it really world domination? Or is it more along the lines of win a trophy every now and then and stay safely in the top 4.

1) Poch was given the riches last season where we spent 150 mil EUR to players... and this did not improve us a slight bit

2) "If Klopp didn't win the league then he was a failure" - in what freaking planet are you living on? He won CL season before... competition that is far more desirable than EPL .

As someone who works as financial analyst and whose hobby is watching football... I cannot disagree with you more.

From financial side, sure he keeps his books balanced.
But the gambling part comes in play in terms of impact of this on footballing side of things.
He is gambling quite often with how he chooses to strenghten the side or moving on players - buying players on last hours of deadline day that has been his operating method quite often IS risk in its essence. There is less time to negotiate and more things are out of your control than usual.
Plus we have seen for number of times how he decides to bluff instead of playing it safe while selling deadwood players. While he has been good with selling HG players such as Carroll, Prichard etc he has often failed with maximizing gain for overseas players (N'ije, N'Koudou, Janssen, Soldado etc). Many times he has overplayed his hand and as a result of that we have been stuck with paying wages to useless player who has no place in the squad and who is not trusted by the manager.
Then we shall agree to disagree. :thumbup:
It's really two entirely different worlds from a financial viewpoint. One is being under a constant pressure from both supporters and club ambition to sell and buy players during a transfer window and determining what time is best to do so. Gambling is making an unforced financial risk that could either bring rich rewards or lose your entire stake.
I understand your viewpoint from an investment angle but I believe buying/selling risk and reward decision making to be completely different from gambling in its purest form.

Last edited:
INSANE TEAM!

Lloris;
Doherty, Sanchez, Skriniar; Reguilón;
Hojbjerg, Lo Celso;
Ndombele;
Bale; Kane; Son

Is it insane though ?!?

Cause I look at the team, and I seriously doubt we would do extremely well even with this exact lineup.
Who is controlling the tempo in this side, tell me?

I hope Hjojberg will grow into the expectations still, but deary me - first 2 games in EPL he has been invisible. Who is the player who stands in the midfield and yells "Fuck it, give me the ball!!" and who is then able to take the ball under control, fends off opponent midfielders and then is able to do something with the ball?
Up to now, Hjojberg will not be it. Lo Celso is energetic and decent player but not it either. Ndombele is good and I actually liked what he did vs Soton in 1st half (okay all passes did not reach the target but he was always aiming to play the ball forward), and at times he is able to break the line of opposite team formation. But I feel that if opposition midfield is stronger, he would struggle as well.

Back in the day we had engine room with 2 players who could do what I described in Dembele and Wanyama. Now I still feel we have none and it is a worry.

Is it insane though ?!?

Cause I look at the team, and I seriously doubt we would do extremely well even with this exact lineup.

I hope Hjojberg will grow into the expectations still, but deary me - first 2 games in EPL he has been invisible. Who is the player who stands in the midfield and yells "Fuck it, give me the ball!!" and who is then able to take the ball under control, fends off opponent midfielders and then is able to do something with the ball?
Up to now, Hjojberg will not be it. Lo Celso is energetic and decent player but not it either. Ndombele is good and I actually liked what he did vs Soton in 1st half (okay all passes did not reach the target but he was always aiming to play the ball forward), and at times he is able to break the line of opposite team formation. But I feel that if opposition midfield is stronger, he would struggle as well.

Back in the day we had engine room with 2 players who could do what I described in Dembele and Wanyama. Now I still feel we have none and it is a worry.

Oh give it a rest.

Hojbjerg has played a whole 2 PL games and he played well 2nd half against the saints. He wasn't invisible at all, so I suggest you actually watch the games or at least put your glasses on.

No wonder other fans call us fickle. Shitting on a player, undeservedly so too, after just 2 fucking games.

Delete your account.

Is it insane though ?!?

Lo Celso and Ndombele can easily dictate the tempo of a game. They are capable of doing it on their own, if they get fully fit and play together?

With Hojberg actually sitting and mopping up we would dominate most games.

Last edited:
Is it insane though ?!?

Unreal lol some people will never be happy.

First of all although he didnt have the best first game (nobody did), he was good second game. Just go and look at his stats, he's doing exactly what is expected of him. The people setting the tempo in this team will be Holjbjerg and Ndombele.

You can see Ndombeles game is starting to appear, he is pure quality and just needs a run now to show it. He gets the ball forward quickly and the first goal the other day was perfect example of that. Half way into his own half, lovely skill bursts forward and quick with the pass to Kane. Correct me if I'm wrong in the Amazon doc, Mourinho pulled up Alli for a lazy pass that did nothing for Sons run in a match. That goal was exactly what mourinho was pointing out.

Get behind this team, it could be very very special.

Need to get this deal done before City wake up, City were very keen on Skriniar back in January but the 85m price tag put both City and Spurs off ... now a 55m deal looks possible hard to believe City are not back in. City have spent 89m and got back 45m for Sane they were mad keen on Koulibaly but that seems to have been priced out, also in for Kounde who will be as much if not more than Skriniar but he's only 21 which is very young for a CB.

If we played Skriniar and Serge get your money on the opposition penalty taker to score.

Is it insane though ?!?

The era of Modric/Dembele is in our past, we have to find a new way to play. Very few teams have a quality playmaker in that deep position, if you look at last season's top 4 only De Bruyne is doing that role. Liverpool now have Thiago but United and Chelsea don't have that type of player. They are like gold dust.

With the players we have now (and the ones we are linked to) I think we will have enough quality to be competitive in every game, that doesn't mean we are going to play the way we did in our pomp. That isn't possible with the players we have.

Comparing to our best team of the last few years, 2020 is not as good defensively, but that front 3 is best we've had. First eleven probably still not as good but our squad depth has improved.

2017. 2020
Lloris = Lloris
Walker > Doherty - 1
Toby = Skriniar
Jan > Sanchez - 1
Rose = Reguilón (peak Rose vs 1st season Reg)
Wanyama > PEH - 1
Dembele > Ndombele - 1
Eriksen = Gio
Dele < Bale +1
Kane = Kane
Son < Son +1

In the 16/17 season Dier actually made more appearances than Dembele,
Plus you can really compare Dembele and Ndombele , anyhow the season has just started so we wont really know who is better yet, and if we beat Newcastle on Sunday we would have had a better start than when we did to the 16/17 season!

Back
Top Bottom