Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This notion that son is a prolific goalscorer is a myth. Son’s goal per game ratio is exactly the same as Defoe’s (0.40). What he (Son) is, is the most clinical scorer of low XG chances around, but this creates the impression that he’s a clinical scorer period. He’s not. Salah might not score as many low XG chances but his gpg is 0.62. Mane’s was 0.45.

I’d say Salah and Mane were better at creating their own chances. Stronger players, lower centre of gravity, better dribblers.

Son was/is very clinical when he has sight of goal. That period where Kane was playing him through constantly was a good example of that, he was finishing chances at an insane rate.

Salah career wise misses a lot more chances than Son. But he will get more chances because he’s a more complete footballer. Son is exceptional in a few areas and mediocre to poor in a load of others. Like Defoe yeah, but better.

At an elite club I honestly believe Son would’ve ended up with large periods on the bench with a Defoe like role. I don’t think those teams put up with his large periods of anonymity that he’s always had.

This notion that son is a prolific goalscorer is a myth. Son’s goal per game ratio is exactly the same as Defoe’s (0.40). What he (Son) is, is the most clinical scorer of low XG chances around, but this creates the impression that he’s a clinical scorer period. He’s not. Salah might not score as many low XG chances but his gpg is 0.62. Mane’s was 0.45.
Just look at the big chance missed.
Haaland 63 games / 60 big missed chance. (2 seasons)
Salah 261 games / 169 big missed chance. (9 seasons)
Son 300 games / 68 big missed chance. (9 seasons)

Son does the most with less...

This works both ways:
It’s beyond obvious that no club would be able to afford Son if Levy has full leverage, the price would be prohibitive for ANY club.

The only way to reduce Levy’s leverage would be to:
1. Run down contract or
2. Publicly ask to leave.

The fact he didn’t do that meant no club had a chance at a fair valuation (regardless of how much you rate him).
So his loyalty is being used as evidence of his lack of loyalty- circular argument.
son at his peak value say 3-4 years ago would of probably of been around 80m. 30-40 of that is due to him having the following he does from his fanbois in his home country. without that following he was never more than a 50m player at his very best!

the best sides play against sides sitting deep! son lacks the football intellect and the elegance on the ball to be able to play against these sides. hes of no use to the top tier teams!

first name on the team sheet against city! absolute waste of a shirt against sides that are happy to soak up and counter. he would never get into a side like city, do you not understand that? he cant play in tight spaces, hes not a natural footballer, hes manufactured from the training ground. everything hes good at has been practised with reps. off the cuff football he stinks. playing counter attacking football is the easiest brand of football, especially for attackers.

Last edited:
Just look at the big chance missed.
Haaland 63 games / 60 big missed chance. (2 seasons)
Salah 261 games / 169 big missed chance. (9 seasons)
Son 300 games / 68 big missed chance. (9 seasons)

Son does the most with less...

For this season: (Previous season is not even close Son is way ahead in conversion rate)

Haaland is at 18.1%
Salah is at 13.1%
Son is at 20.5%

Son has huge flaws, but his detractors who claim he’s bad at finishing reveal their own agenda- totally biased.

Also interesting why spurs fans would have an agenda against our own player who is loyal… but that’s a topic for another day.

There are 2 wingers in the Premier League that've been better than Son during his Spurs career

Salah and Mane

An argument could be made for Sterling

That is all

While he's not world class, he's been an elite player for years and will undoutedly be a Spurs legend when it's all said and done

Son has huge flaws, but his detractors who claim he’s bad at finishing reveal their own agenda- totally biased.

Also interesting why spurs fans would have an agenda against our own player who is loyal… but that’s a topic for another day.

I’m not saying he’s a bad finisher per se, I’m saying he lacks the skill set to be a truly prolific one. His goal per game ratio is exactly what Defoe’s was (0.40). That’s not bad, but it’s not truly elite. Salah’s 0.62. Kane 0.66. Even Jota’s 0.42. Mane 0.46.

Son’s had one 20+ season and n his whole career, including Germany.

As a support forward to someone like Kane those numbers are decent, but they are not enough to carry a team - especially when a lot of what he does when he’s not scoring can be really fucking poor quality stuff.

I’m not saying he’s a bad finisher per se, I’m saying he lacks the skill set to be a truly prolific one. His goal per game ratio is exactly what Defoe’s was (0.40). That’s not bad, but it’s not truly elite. Salah’s 0.62. Kane 0.66. Even Jota’s 0.42. Mane 0.46.

Son’s had one 20+ season and n his whole career, including Germany.

As a support forward to someone like Kane those numbers are decent, but they are not enough to carry a team - especially when a lot of what he does when he’s not scoring can be really fucking poor quality stuff.
Now adjust it for penalties scored and goals per 90 mins played

That's a better/more relevant comparison

Then add in the fact that Son played out wide for his first 4/5 seasons

youre the one with the agenda. why the fuck would any spurs fan have an agenda against a spurs player? you dont like hearing the truth about someone you idolise its as simple as that. youre desperate for spurs fans to be as creepy as you are.

youre the one with the agenda. why the fuck would any spurs fan have an agenda against a spurs player? you dont like hearing the truth about someone you idolise its as simple as that. youre desperate for spurs fans to be as creepy as you are.

Daveyboy88 on Son: "Pathetic excuse of a man"

Also Daveyboy88 on Son: "Grealish is better"

....Dunno, bruv. 🤔

Pretty well documented you have a strong dislike of Sonny for some reason - but whatever - just own it bruv.

And Son is limited in many aspects of the game for sure but worse than diveboy Jack Grealish? C’mon bruv be serious. 🤣🤣

Pretty well documented you have a strong dislike of Sonny for some reason - but whatever - just own it bruv.

And Son is limited in many aspects of the game for sure but worse than diveboy Jack Grealish? C’mon bruv be serious. 🤣🤣
a strong dislike for him? because i say hes not a captain? because he dodges duals and ducks headers? because he cant play in tight spaces and isnt a natural footballer? for pointing out facts that means i have a strong dislike for him?

ive said against a side like city hes the first name on the sheet, or at least was a couple years ago. he seems like a nice guy bla bla bla, that doesnt win spurs football matches. i couldnt give a shit about any of the players personally. i care about spurs winning.

a strong dislike for him? because i say hes not a captain? because he dodges duals and ducks headers? because he cant play in tight spaces and isnt a natural footballer? for pointing out facts that means i have a strong dislike for him?

ive said against a side like city hes the first name on the sheet, or at least was a couple years ago. he seems like a nice guy bla bla bla, that doesnt win spurs football matches. i couldnt give a shit about any of the players personally. i care about spurs winning.
“Pathetic excuse of a man” = Pointing out facts? Just admit there’s a strong dislike. You can like or dislike whoever you want bruv. Whatever.

Last edited:
Daveyboy88 on Son: "Pathetic excuse of a man"

Also Daveyboy88 on Son: "Grealish is better"

....Dunno, bruv. 🤔

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Back
Top Bottom