Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well just recently there was a game where he started over Lamela.
Actually both times- against Huddersfield and Cardiff. Which is absolutely bollocks when you look at the seasons those two have had up to now.
Just sayin' but Lamela - 4 goals 2 assists within 328 min. Son 0 goals 1 assist within 413 minutes.

P.S About his value - well transfermarkt has him at 50 mil €. I'd say he is bit higher, say 55-60 mil, but not more.

P.P.S totally agreed - he won his country a trophy now let him fcking gather is form with the club. Should have been left alone already during this brake and clearly on the next one!

Lamela is being very carefully managed after a steady comeback from an almost career-ending injury. Son is much fitter and less injury prone than Lamela so he has started more games back to back. Lamela was held back for a start against Barcelona and restricted to a bench role for the games either side, that's normal.

I think some people maybe aren't aware just how serious Lamela's injury was and how severe the effect of a year without football is on a player's condition. We have to be patient and let him build his fitness.

A friendly played at walking pace, a much change South Korea (five new faces from the Uruguay game) cruised to 2-0 in 30 minutes, the game then drifted along with Panama pulling back the two goals. Korea making five substitutions during the second half and played at a walking pace for much of the time...

Son got a decent assist for the second goal but frankly didn't do much else ....

Lamela is being very carefully managed after a steady comeback from an almost career-ending injury. Son is much fitter and less injury prone than Lamela so he has started more games back to back. Lamela was held back for a start against Barcelona and restricted to a bench role for the games either side, that's normal.

I think some people maybe aren't aware just how serious Lamela's injury was and how severe the effect of a year without football is on a player's condition. We have to be patient and let him build his fitness.

Umm... well we do not know deep into it.
But I do not buy this for one second. Yes, he was out for long. But he made comeback 11 months (!!!) ago. He had easing in period then, he had the whole summer, he had the preseason and he is not run into the ground by national team. Is it now possible to point to his layoff for the rest of his career? He has had a lot of time, so by this point I personally believe it is down to smth else.

But I do not buy this for one second. Yes, he was out for long. But he made comeback 11 months (!!!) ago. He had easing in period then, he had the whole summer, he had the preseason and he is not run into the ground by national team. Is it now possible to point to his layoff for the rest of his career? He has had a lot of time, so by this point I personally believe it is down to smth else.
Poch has said in his press conferences that Lamela has to be matched carefully so his injury doesn't flare up again. He's obviously still going to play as much as possible. But expect him coming off the bench more often than him starting.

So Poch deems him good enough to play against Barcelona but selected Sissoko over him against Cardiff? Come on.

People forget Lamela already had two injuries this season, one in pre-season and one after the first game of the season. He has to be carefully managed.

I took a bit deeper look into Son performance for us, and I warn all die-hard fans - it does make a grim reading...

Son bad from stretches beyond current season - last time he scored was 11.03.2018. This is 226 days, okay summer pause was in those days as well, but if we count days during season it is still 138. I think it might be his longest dry spell for us (at least after his 1st season).
Since 11.03 then he has given 3 assists in 1026 minutes on the field for us scoring none.
Out of those minutes, 613 minutes (majority) was played in last season.

But what I've seen mentioned here and there is that Son is quite hot-or-cold player. I wanted to check his performances in last season in EPL outlined it well.
- within 14 first (7 starts) games he scored 2 goals,
- then hit the patch and between gameweeks 15-23 (that is 9 games which he all started) 6 goals and 3 assists,
- in remaining 15 games (11 starts) scored 4 (in 2 goals in 2 following games at that) and assisted 2.

But given the situation with Lamela's fitness and our coming schedule and that Son was rested in last game, I expect him to start tomorrow. And if he gets to the scoresheet, then hopefully he will hit another patch of amazing form :) !

I took a bit deeper look into Son performance for us, and I warn all die-hard fans - it does make a grim reading...

Son bad from stretches beyond current season - last time he scored was 11.03.2018. This is 226 days, okay summer pause was in those days as well, but if we count days during season it is still 138. I think it might be his longest dry spell for us (at least after his 1st season).
Since 11.03 then he has given 3 assists in 1026 minutes on the field for us scoring none.
Out of those minutes, 613 minutes (majority) was played in last season.

But what I've seen mentioned here and there is that Son is quite hot-or-cold player. I wanted to check his performances in last season in EPL outlined it well.
- within 14 first (7 starts) games he scored 2 goals,
- then hit the patch and between gameweeks 15-23 (that is 9 games which he all started) 6 goals and 3 assists,
- in remaining 15 games (11 starts) scored 4 (in 2 goals in 2 following games at that) and assisted 2.

But given the situation with Lamela's fitness and our coming schedule and that Son was rested in last game, I expect him to start tomorrow. And if he gets to the scoresheet, then hopefully he will hit another patch of amazing form :) !

He needs a goal more than most in the squad I reckon. It could be fatigue, it could be a hangover from knowing he doesn't have to do military service or the tension build up before all of that or he might just need to take his game up a level because of Lamela and Lucas pushing him for a start like he isn't used to as much. All I know is that his goals are vital and whilst we get away with it with a few chipping in, it's remarkable that our heavyweights in Kane, Son, Dele & Eriksen haven't really got going yet that we have got off to our best start in PL history, all done with 6 games away from home I must add.

I know Harry has scored a few but he ain't knocking them in like we know he can. Sonny no goals yet, Del I think has one in the league, Christian yet to pelt one in so there's plenty to be happy with knowing form is temporary but class is permanent. All of a sudden we've got 6 players who can nick us a goal in Kane, Son, Lucas, Lamela, Dele & Eriksen. Excellent knowing so many will have a purple patch at some stage and that stage is yet to come for our big boys

He needs a goal more than most in the squad I reckon. It could be fatigue, it could be a hangover from knowing he doesn't have to do military service or the tension build up before all of that or he might just need to take his game up a level because of Lamela and Lucas pushing him for a start like he isn't used to as much. All I know is that his goals are vital and whilst we get away with it with a few chipping in, it's remarkable that our heavyweights in Kane, Son, Dele & Eriksen haven't really got going yet that we have got off to our best start in PL history, all done with 6 games away from home I must add.

I know Harry has scored a few but he ain't knocking them in like we know he can. Sonny no goals yet, Del I think has one in the league, Christian yet to pelt one in so there's plenty to be happy with knowing form is temporary but class is permanent. All of a sudden we've got 6 players who can nick us a goal in Kane, Son, Lucas, Lamela, Dele & Eriksen. Excellent knowing so many will have a purple patch at some stage and that stage is yet to come for our big boys

Yea, I generally agree with your point.
But not so sure about Lucas knicking us a goal... apart from those 2 games in August his finishing has been non existent unfortunately. Great dribbler and runner with the ball, but getting concerned about his ability to put chances away.

But not so sure about Lucas knicking us a goal... apart from those 2 games in August his finishing has been non existent unfortunately. Great dribbler and runner with the ball, but getting concerned about his ability to put chances away.

I'm not sure what his numbers were across all competitons in his last proper playing season at PSG but they were close to 20 goals if I recall correctly. I definitely think with 40 odd games left in the season give or take that he'll chip in with enough to get him into double digits, which I thinks a decent return if it happens based on it being his first full season, the depth in that area for us etc. 7 more goals across another 7 months. I think he'll do it and then some but I get what you mean he can be a little hit and miss in certain parts of his play

Not been too many decent chances fallen his way since he last scored tbf...

Son: The cycle = drought > impact sub > impress > starter > purple patch > drought.

Sadly doesnt offer a great deal when not scoring hense the above...

Contrary to the match thread, I thought he was actually quite good tonight..
Overall he was good yesterday, but a bit too selfish. I know he is hungry for a goal but on more than 1 occasion the better move would have been to pass rather than going for goal himself.

Back
Top Bottom