Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Both Son and Lucas struggled to make an impact today, and the deep-packed Watford defence meant there was no space for WBs or anyone, really. This meant the ball needed to be played faster, which it wasn’t. I would assume that as the players get more used to the systems and routines, the plays become more ingrained and automatic and - therefore - faster.

Our attackers were playing with their backs to goal which meant it relied on close control in the final third - all of which was a bit ropey today.

Oh, well - we move on!

Said it in the match thread, we are absolutely strangling him in this system.

Utter madness making Reggie and Royale the focal point of our attacks instead of giving Son creative license on the wings
This is so apparent isn't it. I'm not about to start second guessing Conte on anything and haven't so far but this one fact stands out like a sore thumb. Even though I have no real issues with Son's contributions this season but your point is pretty clear as something Conte should at least try out.

Has there ever been a player as good as Son that's been asked to play so many positions? LW, RW, CF and now AM?

We should drop him for a game or two but he's been directly involved in 14 of our 23 PL goals (61%) so I get why Conte is hesitant to drop him

8 goals
3 assists
2 passes leading to OGs
1 penalty drawn

There's only 1 solution to all this madness - get some actually good fking players this January/Summer

We need depth / competition immediately.

Abysmal first half. Bit better in the second but much better once he went out wide. He never was and never will be a striker. Get him back wider stretching teams and going up 1v1 against defenders again.

100% agree. I just think this system doesn’t suit him because he’s too narrow. His best work is out wide cutting in.

dreadful performance saved by the 18km wind pacing the free kick ball to Davidson.
True, Son's probably never played in wind before, so he would have no idea what it might do to the ball.

Christ sake, these are top level professional footballers. Do you think they don't know how to strike a ball differently depending on which way the wind is going?

True, Son's probably never played in wind before, so he would have no idea what it might do to the ball.

Christ sake, these are top level professional footballers. Do you think they don't know how to strike a ball differently depending on which way the wind is going?
When someone wants to bring down a player so much they have to credit wind for the great delivery leading to the winning goal... Criticisms for poor performance is fine but this is overreaching.

He was bad (again) but he got a crucial contribution (again) so can't really complain too much. It's the busiest period of the season and both he and Kane are probably being overplayed a tad, plus the service in to our front 3 in these kind of games is poor.

Not playing well but still scoring/assisting is something he's not done in the past so I'm happy.

He was bad (again) but he got a crucial contribution (again) so can't really complain too much. It's the busiest period of the season and both he and Kane are probably being overplayed a tad, plus the service in to our front 3 in these kind of games is poor.

Not playing well but still scoring/assisting is something he's not done in the past so I'm happy.
More or less agreed. A lot more is expected from Son and Kane but people are way overreacting expecting fireworks against a team playing for a draw. I thought Kane was pretty good and Son made up for it with the game winning contribution.

Last edited:
More of less agreed. A lot more is expected from Son and Kane but people are way overreacting expecting fireworks against a team playing for a draw. I thought Kane was pretty good and Son made up for it with the game winning contribution.

Yeah Kane was pretty much fine .. zero service in to him other than a chance he should have hit the target with, but otherwise looked quite mobile and tested the keeper a couple of times from outside the box. Agreed that the expectations are too much, they're very good players but not magicians, Watford had 3-4 players crowding them whenever they had the ball.

How many days rest in between games does a player need to be at their best? Or how games in a week can they play and expected to peform? I always wondered about this question. Who here has experience to give their opinion?

In the last 6 games:

Scored for the first 4 consecutive matches..
Made penalty for the 5th one + almost made an assist for Doherty
He made an assist today + almost scored a goal.

His performance could be better for sure, but I really cant complain when he keeps making big difference.

Yeah Kane was pretty much fine .. zero service in to him other than a chance he should have hit the target with, but otherwise looked quite mobile and tested the keeper a couple of times from outside the box. Agreed that the expectations are too much, they're very good players but not magicians, Watford had 3-4 players crowding them whenever they had the ball.
Absolutely, Kane playing with vigor and turning his season around under Conte. I'm glad that he is and all the better for Spurs. Kane and Son both have done so much for Spurs.

Kane and Son both deserve more appreciation in general by us fans. Every player should in fact as long as they give their best.

Absolutely, Kane playing with vigor and turning his season around under Conte. I'm glad that he is and all the better for Spurs. Kane and Son both have done so much for Spurs.

Kane and Son both deserve more appreciation in general by us fans. Every player should in fact as long as they give their best.
Kane looked bang average out there

Taking shots out from 20-25 yards as a 'big' 'strong' #9 and doing not much else isn't what I'd call him being good

Got to remember Covid effects people in different ways, its either runny nose, cough, headache or fatigue and the fatigue bit is quite important, especially for an athlete, if a top athlete is away from training for a few days the drop in performance is massive.

Kane looked bang average out there

Taking shots out from 20-25 yards as a 'big' 'strong' #9 and doing not much else isn't what I'd call him being good
I like to give players a little more credit for performance against how Watford came out today. Getting that first goal that would open up their play is very difficult IMO. If we get a big strong striker then it would be interesting to see how much better it would be over the course of a full season against teams parking the bus.

I like to give players a little more credit for performance against how Watford came out today. Getting that first goal that would open up their play is very difficult IMO. If we get a big strong striker then it would be interesting to see how much better it would be over the course of a full season against teams parking the bus.

Not sure what he expected from Kane today. Zero quality service in to him all game long, not in to feet and I counted only one cross of worth and it was floated and too central. Haven’t seen the stats but I imagine his xG for the game was very low, probably same with Son. Neither had any service.

Those 20-25 yard shots were all that was on and Kane did well to find space and test the keeper with them. Son tried as well and had a couple of moments, but he’s a player who thrives on being played in behind defences.. but there was none today.

The only one who had any space or time to operate properly was Emerson, but he put in maybe 2 good balls all game to the forwards .. and one was a shot.

Back
Top Bottom