Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is world class. He doesn’t get as easy recognition because South Korea are not seen as a big football nation. If Son was English for instance there would be no question.
A lot of it has to do with media exposure. The ‘big’ 3/4 clubs always get an abundance of exposure and the English nationals usually get more than their fair share of coverage.

Foreign Spurs players have always been underrated as a result of not being considered one of the “big 4” and not being an English national. Son is on a long list of foreign Spurs players that have been criminally underrated. Dembele, Jan, Toby, Eriksen etc. being others.

So it's about exposure more than nationality then?

How many non-Spurs fans have heralded Dire & Davies for their contribution to our season last year?

On the flipside, despite KDB being Belgian (and Hazard before him) he still gets worldwide acclaim; so why don't more non-Spurs rank Dembele as having been the unique talent that most of us do?
People do expect Belgian players to be good though. Thats the difference. Dembele was great for us but why should anyone notice, he wasn’t world class was he. Neither are Dier, Davies.

Hi all. Long time lurker here. Usually just read the match threads and transfer threads for the lolz.

Son recently gave an interview n one of the questions was about his teammates getting him the golden boot. He said when Moura was subbed on, he said to Sonny, "Don't worry, I'll help you." Same with Berg. The team was talking about getting him the Golden Boot throughout that whole week. Apparently, Dier talked about it the entire month!

Class teammates.

People do expect Belgian players to be good though. Thats the difference.

If (eg) Son is not expected to be good surely then he'd stick out more?

Dembele was great for us but why should anyone notice, he wasn’t world class was he. Neither are Dier, Davies.

We're talking about why players are under-rated. WC isca mainly arbitrary tag that everyone seems to define differently.

Hi all. Long time lurker here. Usually just read the match threads and transfer threads for the lolz.

Son recently gave an interview n one of the questions was about his teammates getting him the golden boot. He said when Moura was subbed on, he said to Sonny, "Don't worry, I'll help you." Same with Berg. The team was talking about getting him the Golden Boot throughout that whole week. Apparently, Dier talked about it the entire month!

Class teammates.
I love that shit. We had it for a while under Poch, and now looks like it is back. Spammer mate used to hate how we celebrated like a family on the pitch.

Not exactly something I am surprised to hear about (it happens all too often these days), but glad that he is opening up about this:

The South Korea football icon, the leading Asian goalscorer in English football's top-flight history, was awarded the country's highest sporting honour in June for his achievements.

But Son said his most memorable career moment had been South Korea's stunning 2-0 victory over Germany four years ago, because of the racism he had endured in the country as a teenager after joining Hamburg in 2010.

Son shared in public for the first time his experiences of racism, while speaking to fans at an event in Seoul on Monday.

"I moved to Germany when I was young, and went through so many really difficult, unimaginable moments," said Son, who left Hamburg in 2013 for Bayer Leverkusen.

"I faced a lot of racism. And while going through such a really difficult time, I had a lot of thoughts on my mind I should get my revenge one day."

Germany were the defending World Cup champions in Russia but the shock defeat to South Korea meant they finished bottom of their group, leaving many German fans in tears at the Kazan Arena.

Son, who scored the second goal in injury time to seal Germany's early exit, said he had little sympathy.

"When people cry, I'd (usually) want to comfort them and give them a hug," he said. "But watching German people cry, (I felt) I was able to take revenge by doing something I like," he added.

Not exactly something I am surprised to hear about (it happens all too often these days), but glad that he is opening up about this:

The South Korea football icon, the leading Asian goalscorer in English football's top-flight history, was awarded the country's highest sporting honour in June for his achievements.

But Son said his most memorable career moment had been South Korea's stunning 2-0 victory over Germany four years ago, because of the racism he had endured in the country as a teenager after joining Hamburg in 2010.

Son shared in public for the first time his experiences of racism, while speaking to fans at an event in Seoul on Monday.

"I moved to Germany when I was young, and went through so many really difficult, unimaginable moments," said Son, who left Hamburg in 2013 for Bayer Leverkusen.

"I faced a lot of racism. And while going through such a really difficult time, I had a lot of thoughts on my mind I should get my revenge one day."

Germany were the defending World Cup champions in Russia but the shock defeat to South Korea meant they finished bottom of their group, leaving many German fans in tears at the Kazan Arena.

Son, who scored the second goal in injury time to seal Germany's early exit, said he had little sympathy.

"When people cry, I'd (usually) want to comfort them and give them a hug," he said. "But watching German people cry, (I felt) I was able to take revenge by doing something I like," he added.
I wonder if he would feel same for Wet Spam

I wonder if he would feel same for Wet Spam
Yep, shushed them a few times after scoring. Also noticed one of the first times he kissed the badge after scoring was against them.

He definitely knows who they are and what they're about.

How do you see Son's future? Has he peaked last season? Golden boot and now 30 years old. I think he will be even better next season and then slowly start to decline.

Back
Top Bottom