How to achieve 68 points?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

eanN17

Supporter
First of all, I just recently started listening to the Fighting Cock-podcast after fellow yiddo recommended it to me. I'm enjoying it and I also love the 1882-movement. I've been on the Spurs-list since the mid-90s (mailinglist) and since 2008 I have also been on the Spurs Odyssey forum. I also write some articles for the Norwegian Spurs Supporter's magazine.

Secondly, apologies for making such a long thread as my very first one. Hope you'll enjoy it though.

No team finishing 5th has ever achieved more than 67 points since the Premier League became a 20 team league. Just to make it a bit interesting I'll have a look at what the various teams need to get to 68 points (enough to beat 67 points) and therefore, from a historic viewpoint enough to qualify for the top4.

3. Chavs G26 P49
Chavs need another 19 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 23 points.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,88
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,92
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 1,58
Home games remaining: 6: West Bromwich, West Ham, Sunderland, Spurs, Swansea, Everton
Away games remaining: 6: Man City, Fulham, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa

Two of their home games against rivals for top4, but the rest of them should be winnable. Away games look tougher with a derby vs Fulham, two tough trips to Manchester and Liverpool. Even Southampton can be tricky on their day and Villa might still be fighting relegation when they meet them. They will look to get most of their points at home, but narrow favourites to land 3rd place still.

4. Spurs G26 P48
Spurs need another 20 points from 12 games. OUR form over the previous 12 games gave us 25 points, which is the best form out of the 5 teams I have compared.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,85
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 2,08
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 1,67
Home games remaining: 6: NLD, Fulham, Everton, Man City, Southampton, Sunderland
Away games remaining:6: West Ham, Liverpool, Swansea, Chelsea, Wigan, Stoke

Tough fixture list ahead. Good news is that we had the best form over the past 12 games from the 5 teams. Should be possible to get three wins against Southampton, Sunderland and Fulham. One win and a draw vs the likes of Woolwich, Everton and City should also be possible. If we can do that we need 7 more points from away trips. West Ham is an important one of course, but Wigan and Swansea look the easiest on paper. Liverpool, Chelsea and Stoke will all be very hard, but 3-4 points are possible. You feel that somewhere between 7 points and 10 points should be achieveable. With 10 points away we would need only 10 points from our home fixtures. Doesn't look all too bad does it?

5. Scum G26 P44
Scum need another 24 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 23 points.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,69
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,92
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,00
Home games remaining: 6 Aston Villa, Everton, Reading, Norwich, Man United, Wigan
Away games remaining:6: NLD, Swansea, WBA, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle

4 of their home fixtures look quite winnable and that might get them 12 points there. I can see them getting at least a point from Everton and United too, so that would leave them to get 11 points from their travels. Spurs is obviously a tough one for them, but Fulham, Newcastle and QPR could prove tricky too. Swansea is a team they have struggled with at times and who can forget the result in the reverse fixture? Away day on the last day of the season vs Newcastle while we play Sunderland at home. 24 points from 12 games mean they will have to match our form from the past 12 games. It ain't over, but we are still narrow favourites ahead of the Scum

6. Everton G26 P42
Everton need another 26 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 20 points and that included beating us. We have still achieved 5 points more than them despite losing that game
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,62
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,67
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,17
Home games remaining: 6: Reading, Man City, Stoke, QPR, Fulham, West Ham
Away games remaining:6: Norwich, Woolwich, Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool. Chelsea

Now Everton really needs to find form to beat the rivals above them. They will need a stunning 2,17 points per game for the remaining fixtures which would mean 82 points over a season. Not something I usually would expect from Everton to be honest. Looking at their home fixtures I'd say that Reading, Fulham, Stoke, West Ham and QPR are all winnable, but I can't see them winning them all and I can't see them beating City either, perhaps they'll get a point. Still, 13 points from 6 games is possible. The problem though is that they would need to replicate that form away from home as well. Going to Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool and Spurs will all be very tough trips. They probably needs to get 7 points or more points from those fixtures. Everton have got a very tough task on their hand. Not writing them off entirely, but it's a long shot.

7. Liverpool G27 P39
Liverpool need another 29 points from 12 games. Their form over the previous 12 games gave them 20 points, like Everton.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,44
P.p.g. previous 12 games: 1,67
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,42
Home games remaining: 5: Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Everton, QPR
Away games remaining: 6: Wigan, Southampton, Aston Villa, Reading, Newcastle, Fulham

Liverpool have a relatively easy looking fixture list ahead. They have a few problems though. The first one being 9 points behind 4th place with one more games played. The second one is having one less home game than the rest. Not only do they need to find some form, we're talking form that would give them 92 points over a season. They would need 29 points more this season of 33 maximum achieveable. 29 points could come from wins and two draws. Zero defeats. I think Liverpool need to hope for all the teams ahead of them collapsing. I can't really see that happening.

COME ON YOU SPURS!

Here comes a new stat attack after that lovely NLD-win:

First, a game to game compared and various stats:

Game to game monitor: 72 points are 3 points ahead of last year's finish.
Game to game monitor: 72 points are 4 points ahead of 68 points, which has been enough to end up in the top 4 for all of the last 17 seasons (20 team league).
Current points per game over a season: 73.29 points
Points per game 4.29 points ahead of last season's finish (69)
Points per game 5.94 points ahead of average 4th position (67.35)
Points per game 10.82 points ahead of average 5th position (62.47)
Points per game 5.29 points ahead historical top 4 guaranteed points total (68)

Points total
Points 72
Points per game 73.29

Historic top 4 points 68
Last season points 69
Average 4th position 67.35
Average 5th position 62.47

Secondly, the Scum are seven points behind. How have we compared in the last 5 seasons in the last 10 games?

2011-12 Woolwich + 2 points
2010-11 Tottenham +5 points
2009-10 Tottenham + 4 points
2008-09 Woolwich + 4 points
2007-08 Woolwich +7 points

Thirdly, how is this season compared with the rest of the PL-season?
1st 54 points (?p) 2012-13
2nd 53 points (69p) 2011-12
3rd 49 points (70p) 2009-10
3rd 49 points (65p) 2005-06
5th 48 points (62p) 2010-11
5th 48 points (61p) 1995-96

And finally, how many points to the teams need to achieve 68 points this season?
3. Spurs G28 P54
Spurs need another 14 points from 10 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,93
P.p.g. needed remaining 10 games to get 68 points: 1,40
Home games remaining: 5: Fulham, Everton, Man City, Southampton, Sunderland
Away games remaining:5: Liverpool, Swansea, Chelsea, Wigan, Stoke

4. Chavs G28 P52
Chavs need another 16 points from 10 games.
P.p.g. needed remaining 10 games to get 68 points: 1,60
Home games remaining: 5: West Ham, Sunderland, Spurs, Swansea, Everton
Away games remaining: 5: Fulham, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa

5. Scum G28 P47
Scum need another 21 points from 10 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,68
P.p.g. needed remaining 10 games to get 68 points: 2,10
Home games remaining: 5 Everton, Reading, Norwich, Man United, Wigan
Away games remaining: 5: Swansea, WBA, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle

6. Everton G28 P45
Everton need another 23 points from 10 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,61
P.p.g. needed remaining 10 games to get 68 points: 2,30
Home games remaining: 5: Man City, Stoke, QPR, Fulham, West Ham
Away games remaining:5: Woolwich, Spurs, Sunderland, Liverpool. Chelsea

7. Liverpool G28 P42
Liverpool need another 26 points from 10 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,50
P.p.g. needed remaining 12 games to get 68 points: 2,60
Home games remaining: 5: Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Everton, QPR
Away games remaining: 5: Southampton, Aston Villa, Reading, Newcastle, Fulham

I did try and read the opening post, but kinda got bored.

So here is a Gangnam cat....

tumblr_mb3rc5Stih1rcivp3o1_400.gif

So on another thread I saw that at this time last year we were already "well into" (iirc) our swoon. I wondered if that's the case. Furthermore, I think the season is deep enough for it to be more useful comparing the season-long narrative instead of comparing simply fixture-by-fixture. So how have our point runs looked over the past six seasons?
ZAnbxTW.png

I put in two constants: the race to 69 points and the race to 72 points. If the line is ever "above" (or to the "left") of one of those constants, that means that at that moment we are on a pace to score more than 69 (or 72) points on the season. When we're "below", it means we're on pace to score fewer.

What do we see, then? Harry's "swoon", that is, the three straight losses Woolwich, ManU, and Everton are matched by our three-match swoon back in November, when we lost to Wigan, City, and Woolwich. So our tallies have caught up, and we have a sort of tall and skinny parallelogram between the two seasons, showing that there are certainly a lot of similarities in terms of rate of point accumulation between this year and last. The only other comparable season in the past six is the CL qualification season, when there was no real swoon, and we're five points above where we were during that season.

Further, because we've ducked above the lime green line, that means that we're in good shape to beat 72 points. It was precisely during this gameweek just passed last year that we said goodbye to 72 points.

Looking good, but we're still surrounded by trees.

Edit: One thing I noticed just from looking at this was that in 2008/2009, we actually had a stretch of two points from eight games—but also a stretch of three points from seven games. Just saying.

Oh, regarding Mike Dean who will be the ref when Woolwich play Wigan next week.

His stat with Woolwich has been utter brilliant. Last 4 seasons:

P18 W1 D5 L12
:avbpray:

English is my third language, I do apologize.
Don't ever apologise for that.

Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' every now and then. Pisses the americans right off, even google chrome gets offended.

huh, turns out that in fact chrome gets offended when you don't capitalise 'americans' or 'google'.

Or 'capitalise' as it turns out.

Here's the latest update, toughest games in bold letters. We are on course to 70 points right now. Would love to get 4 points from Everton and Chelsea in the next two fixtures :

Game to game monitor: 70 points are 1 point ahead of last year's finish.
Game to game monitor: 70 points are 2 points ahead of 68 points, which has been enough to end up in the top 4 for all of the last 17 seasons (20 team league).
Current points per game over a season: 69.87 points
Points per game 0.87 points ahead of last season's finish (69)
Points per game 2.52 points ahead of average 4th position (67.35)
Points per game 7.4 points ahead of average 5th position (62.47)
Points per game 1.87 points ahead historical top 4 guaranteed points total (68)

Points total
Points 70
Points per game 69.87

Historic top 4 points 68
Last season points 69
Average 4th position 67.35
Average 5th position 62.47

How is this season compared with the rest of the PL-seasons?

1st 58 points (69p) 2011-12
1st 58 points (70p) 2009-10
3rd 57 points (?p) 2012-13
4th 55 points (65p) 2005-06
5th 53 points (62p) 2010-11

And finally, how many points do the teams need to achieve 68 points this season?
3. Spurs G31 P57
Spurs need another 11 points from 7 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,84
P.p.g. needed remaining 7 games to get 68 points: 1,57
Home games remaining: 4: Everton, Man City, Southampton, Sunderland
Away games remaining: 3: Chelsea, Wigan, Stoke

4. Chavs G30 P55
Chavs need another 13 points from 8 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,83
P.p.g. needed remaining 8 games to get 68 points: 1,63
Home games remaining: 4: Sunderland, Spurs, Swansea, Everton
Away games remaining: 4: Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa

5. Scum G30 P53
Scum need another 15 points from 8 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,77
P.p.g. needed remaining 8 games to get 68 points: 1,88
Home games remaining: 4: Everton, Norwich, Man United, Wigan
Away games remaining: 4: WBA, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle

6. Everton G30 P51
Everton need another 17 points from 8 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,70
P.p.g. needed remaining 8 games to get 68 points: 2,13
Home games remaining: 3: QPR, Fulham, West Ham
Away games remaining: 5: Woolwich, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Sunderland

7. Liverpool G31 P48
Liverpool need another 20 points from 7 games.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,55
P.p.g. needed remaining 7 games to get 68 points: 2,86
Home games remaining: 4: West Ham, Chelsea, Everton, QPR
Away games remaining: 3: Reading, Newcastle, Fulham

I think Chelsea's win today is a boost for us. Their fixtures are piling up now.

Much will depend of course on when our rearranged game with them takes place, but it should be no worse for us than them, and it could be much better if they're playing say their 4th game in 10 days while were just playing our 3rd.
Yeah, that worked out great for us last year.
tumblr_mjzs28mwx41rjdfzto1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom