Huddlestone

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think AVB prefers to keep it tight for the first hour then switch things up for the win against tired legs, in the same way Defoe's speed and agility oftne make him an impact sub, Hudds range of passing and vision opens up defences in a way that they havent been used to for the first 60 mins.

Agree Hudd has been a game changer, not so sure if it would work from the offset. That in mind though nothing wrong with going for the kill, scoring 4 and then bringing Hudd off for Parker in a reverse tactic...

I don't think there's any question of what he can deliver for 90 minutes but the midfield should be picked on form as well as opposition. Against Wigan we could start him and see what happens, with Holtby and rest Dembele.

Holtby & Huddlestone is way too attacking an axis.

I'd like to see all three of Holtby + Huddlestone + Dembele in a more inverted midfield triangle three with Huddlegun (!) sitting deeper than the other two.

However that demands for Bale to stay wide in one side. And for Andre to leave out two from Lennon, Gylfi and Dempsey. From form I am pretty sure he'd start either of Dempsey and Gylfi before Holtby in the middle.

Still my team would probably be, assuming Lennon is not fit for 90 mins:

Lloris​
Walker - Dawson - Vertonghen - Ekotto​
- Holtby - Huddlestone - Dembele -​
- Bale - Adebayor - Sigurdsson -​
Friedel, Caulker, Carroll, Lennon, Dempsey, Defoe, Parker​
This should be a right handful for Wigan, who are very attacking minded.​

One of my presents for Xmas was 'A little book of Spurs', more than 185 quotes to do with Spurs. Reading one a day, randomly. Today's one...

"He wasn't born, he was chiselled out of an oak tree" - Alan Green (BBC 5 live) praising Huddlestone Vs Man Utd, Sept 2007.

Ha, I got that at Christmas too 🎁

I didn't.

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

Agreed 100% he is devastating as a game changer from the bench, we need energy and tenacity in the opening stages of a game, he can't provide that, but once their midfield and defence are knackered in the second half we can wheel him out like a big artillery gun and pound the fuck out of teams.

In my opinion his performances against Everton, Basel & City have been top rate.
Although Parker has done well, Hudd desrves a chance against Wigan at least and give Parker a rest.
He's has provided that creative spark 3 games in a row; not much more he can do to warrant a starting 11 spot IMO

What are everyone's view?

Whilst I'd agree he's working as an impact sub, the Parker/Dembele partnership just doesn't offer any service to the attack outside of isolated runs forward. We've seen on three occassions the stark difference having a CM that looks to pass the ball out makes and on each occassion that has almost been at the death knell. whether it is Tom Carroll or Huddlestone, I would like to see what we can do with a passing midfield option for a full 90.

In actual fact, I would be interested to see that 4-3-3 played again truth be told. Not only did Huddlestone start to dictate our tempo, it improved Dembele's game and we saw a real insight to what Holtby might be able to offer. Holtby seems to have a frenetic engine, if we can stop him from making rash challenges, I think he will be a brilliant presser of the ball out of possession.

Him and Dembele hunting the ball then pushing in possession with Huddlestone holding seems like a good option to me.

From that I’m imagining a cross between Scholes and Pirlo.

I’d be interested to know more about him. With Greaves it’s a lot easier to see his qualities, as his intuition, clever movement, and finishing abilities are obvious in all of the footage.

I appreciate that it’s not easy. The other day I was struggling to explain why Le Tissier was such a phenomenal player to someone in their early 20s.

That is a good analogy Scholes/Pirlo
Yep, I think with Hod and other midfielders, it is difficult as most compilation clips only show his goals.
He really was a genius with the ball, I remember being in the home stand and Spurs were attacking the opposite end. Anyway, Hod had the ball in CM, and he was looking to his left and the WBA CBs shuffled left, when Perryman (on the right) ran outside their FB, Hod hit this pass with the outside of his right foot, the ball curved like banana, straight on to the foot of Perryman. could of been either the '82 Lc semi against WBA or the 5-1 against Wolves.
Sorry to waffle on, but that was the best pass I had ever seen.

So wired, came into this thread at this page having not read the previous ones.

Thought you were all talking about Huddlestone!

Chased the money a upper mid table team in Spain would have been interesting, don't blame him.

Knew a girl he dated she was 5"5. Also interesring

Man, I wish I was your age! But, it was a privilege to see the man in the flesh.

Don't forget, in those days there wasn't much messing about with formations. It was mostly a 4-4-2
Hod played mostly in CM in a 4.
As to comparing him with someone, I can't think of anyone except perhaps Scholes, but even that is pushing it. (Hod was a better passer)
Maybe someone who watched a lot of European football could answer it better ?

Hudd is a free agent from today. We should bring him back to work with the Academy.
I'd love that but wreckon he could play for many years, he will be that midfielder a league 2 sign as Captain takes all their set pieces and doesn't run, but the class is their for all to see

My favourite Spurs player ever tbh, met him when I was 11 he stopped and had a pic with me, such a lovely guy

Still think he's better as an impact sub. Just don't think he's for the athleticism to play that role for 90 mins without getting exposed defensively several times, particularly on counter attacks.

I do love the big lug though!

I love Tommy H. Best long distance passer of he ball I’ve ever seen. Love the way he strikes the ball

I remember a commentator saying of Dawson “and there’s another one of his trademark 80 yard passes.”

It was a punt.

I liked Hundredstone but was the kind of player you’d need to build a team around, due to being slower than a dead tortoise in glue. Some of his passes really were exceptional, and he had a sweet strike.

I’d imagine him in a high press game would look something like this:

battle-of-the-bastards.gif

Back
Top Bottom