Huddlestone

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have options, a short while ago lots were saying we were down and out: I think we are in good shape with a manager who is not afraid to play who he wants: He knows his players and their capabilities!!

I thought Huddlestone was excellent yesterday. I really enjoyed watching him pass the ball around. It's a big question whether the defensive side of his game and his tracking back would stand up for a full 90 minutes but we looked so much better going forward when he started hitting the ball about like a fucking boss. Very impressive considering how little game time he's had this season. He looked like he was really making an effort to defend too. Great squad option I think.

As I said - Id be tempted to stay as we are but have Holtby in for Parker.

We seem set on persisting with Bale down the middle, Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Lennon wide. Its not a bad set up if the midfield can get them the ball - and its how we have played all season (looking at record points haul...) so Im inclined to keep the set up as a basis of how we play for consistencies sake.

Holtby and Dembele in midfield would require discipline from Holtby to mind the defensive duties, but he has the heart of a lion and seems pretty decent in harassing and winning the ball - and is IMO a huge huge improvement on Parker with the ball. On balance I think that would see us improved in CM and so the team performance upped over all.

Im fast becoming a big fan of us switching to 433, and think Huddlestone could excel in such a set up - Im just reluctant to switch our style of play so much with a crucial 5 games left in the season.

Start as we have, switch to 433 with Hudd late on to exploit the situation, tee us up to adopt it full time next season if we want to...

Agree: Like to see what Holtby can do from the start. Hudd has only been great past 3 games becuase he has NOT been pressed by the tied opposition. He needs the space and time to pick those passes out. What was interesting yesterday however was that he was dropping very deep to give him that time. On a number of occassions he dropped into a centre back possition and Jan pushed into the DM left by him.

Parker is an anchor around our neck going forward and it is clear he and Dembele do not form a good partnership. Problem is I don't think AVB sees it that way and he was giving instructions yesterday for Dembele to drop back and Parker to stay forward. That is insane to me but AVB must have his reasons, I wish someone in the media would ask him.

I agree with Wookie though, it's too risky to play crap football for 60-70 minutes and then make the swap Parker for Hudd.

It's a tough call, either Holtby or Hudd could easily start v Wigan.

but Lennon Dembele Parker Dempsey Defoe Bale will probably start and that really should be enough to see off Wigan. I don't think they will give that 6 a chasing, but IF they are, then change it at half time.

We've played some very tough teams lately, Wigan simply aren't at the level of Everton City or Basel (especially a Basel facing Friedel and Gallas, and no disrespect to those veterans who've done so much in the game over the years, but Daws and Lloris they ain't)

Wigan are in very good form, as they often are this time of year, and despite losing their last two were fine margins from 6 points.

They are a particularly dangerous outfit to play right now, we need to pay this fixture the utmost respect.

I suspect a cautious (and typical away) performance of keeping it compact and tight and hitting on the break

Well I have to disagree that Wigan are in very good form, as you say they have lost their last two games. I of course agree it's a very tough game, but their team is not on the level of the teams we've recently played. Also a key player may be out in Alcaraz.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8665529/?

Anyway, bottom line for me is that we're better than them and should beat them, if we don't then it's likely that will be the last nail in our CL coffin.

Results havent been good, but performances have.

When they get playing their are a fluid and dangerous team, so we cannot afford complacency and must be on our game

Anyway, bottom line for me is that we're better than them and should beat them, if we don't then it's likely that will be the last nail in our CL coffin.

Though here I absolutely agree, we should win - top teams make sure they do. If we lose I think a win is required at Chelsea, so it likely is the end of the CL chances for us.

Results havent been good, but performances have.

When they get playing their are a fluid and dangerous team, so we cannot afford complacency and must be on our game

Though here I absolutely agree, we should win - top teams make sure they do. If we lose I think a win is required at Chelsea, so it likely is the end of the CL chances for us.

Fair comments, but Wigan often flatter to deceive, it's been one of their trademarks in recent years.

Here's the latest form table BTW

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/form-table/full

Woolwich and Chelsea are 1st and 3rd. Annoyingly Utd are 2nd but are likely to give Woolwich less than their normal 'full attention'.

We're 7th, Wigan are 13th.

i actually think considering wigan is still in their annual routine of fighting for their survival, their players might have many points to prove.. not so sure if hudds can handle that... will still prefer parker to snap at their players whenever they have possession.. but then again.. that is if parker still has the legs to do it..

As I said though - that is results, not performances.

A few of our games have gone against what we actually deserved havent they?

Wigan flatter to deceive all season, then really deliver from April, how/why Ill never know. If Martinez could bottle what he does from April each year and give it to them from August they would make Europa!

This is certainly a banana skin fixture IMO

As I said though - that is results, not performances.

A few of our games have gone against what we actually deserved havent they?

Wigan flatter to deceive all season, then really deliver from April, how/why Ill never know. If Martinez could bottle what he does from April each year and give it to them from August they would make Europa!

This is certainly a banana skin fixture IMO

And as I say Wigan often flatter to deceive, and it's results that count not performances. They're 13th in the form table, having lost their last two, for me that is definitely not very good form. Martinez seems to have lost his magic bottle somewhere on the M6 :)

They also may have lost a key player against us.

But I do agree it's a very tough game. I don't see it as a banana skin, just a tough game as was City. But unlike against City I expect us to win.

Joining this late, but here's my 2cents worth...

Hudd should stay a super-sub as he won't be afforded the space and time at the start of the match like he is when coming on against players having already played an hour of football. Tired minds&legs + HuddleGun spraying artillery passes around = broken opposition.

To start I would like to see us make the switch to 4-3-3 with Carroll/Sig(he has the passing range, and is deceptively strong and combatative) and Holtby starting next to Dembele with Bale out right and Dempsey/Lennon/Sig out left and Ade to start up top and be subbed out for JD around 60-70mins to give tired legs and heads huge problems (he's a nightmare to face when he's fresh and you're a tired.).

With the proposed midfield we have two players with HUGE engines tearing up and down the pitch hasseling players for the ball and a passer who can intercept from deeper (Hud has done this VERY well in his last three sub appearances but I'm worried he'd get torn a new one against fresh players). We would also have the option of bringing on a pure bred destroyer in Parker to lock down defense and a classic spraymaker (see what I did there?) in Hudd to make the tired legs of the opposition chase the ball all over the pitch. To have those sort of flexible options on the bench (depending on situation) is a fantastic situation to be in...

I say again, Hudd to stay as a super sub and come on to torment tired legs. Parker to be benched in favour of Holtby/Carroll/Sig and for goodness sake GET BALE OUT ON THE WING AGAIN, he becomes so much harder to pick up for the defense that he can actually be involved in our play in a threatening position again and not so deep he either has to make a hollywood pass or dribble through an entire team

Back
Top Bottom