Huddlestone

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man, I wish I was your age! But, it was a privilege to see the man in the flesh.

Started supporting Spurs in 1990, so before my time. Watched every Spurs video I could get my hands on, and read every Spurs book I could find, so I got a glimpse of his brilliance.

Who (if anyone) would you compare him to from the last 20 years. I’ve seen his goals and highlight reels, but I have to admit that I don’t even know where he played. As a 10 I’d think he was more attacking, but in a lot of videos he looked a lot deeper.

Started supporting Spurs in 1990, so before my time. Watched every Spurs video I could get my hands on, and read every Spurs book I could find, so I got a glimpse of his brilliance.

Who (if anyone) would you compare him to from the last 20 years. I’ve seen his goals and highlight reels, but I have to admit that I don’t even know where he played. As a 10 I’d think he was more attacking, but in a lot of videos he looked a lot deeper.
Don't forget, in those days there wasn't much messing about with formations. It was mostly a 4-4-2
Hod played mostly in CM in a 4.
As to comparing him with someone, I can't think of anyone except perhaps Scholes, but even that is pushing it. (Hod was a better passer)
Maybe someone who watched a lot of European football could answer it better ?

Don't forget, in those days there wasn't much messing about with formations. It was mostly a 4-4-2
As to comparing him with someone, I can't think of anyone except perhaps Scholes, but even that is pushing it. (Hod was a better passer)

From that I’m imagining a cross between Scholes and Pirlo.

I’d be interested to know more about him. With Greaves it’s a lot easier to see his qualities, as his intuition, clever movement, and finishing abilities are obvious in all of the footage.

I appreciate that it’s not easy. The other day I was struggling to explain why Le Tissier was such a phenomenal player to someone in their early 20s.

From that I’m imagining a cross between Scholes and Pirlo.

I’d be interested to know more about him. With Greaves it’s a lot easier to see his qualities, as his intuition, clever movement, and finishing abilities are obvious in all of the footage.

I appreciate that it’s not easy. The other day I was struggling to explain why Le Tissier was such a phenomenal player to someone in their early 20s.

That is a good analogy Scholes/Pirlo
Yep, I think with Hod and other midfielders, it is difficult as most compilation clips only show his goals.
He really was a genius with the ball, I remember being in the home stand and Spurs were attacking the opposite end. Anyway, Hod had the ball in CM, and he was looking to his left and the WBA CBs shuffled left, when Perryman (on the right) ran outside their FB, Hod hit this pass with the outside of his right foot, the ball curved like banana, straight on to the foot of Perryman. could of been either the '82 Lc semi against WBA or the 5-1 against Wolves.
Sorry to waffle on, but that was the best pass I had ever seen.

So wired, came into this thread at this page having not read the previous ones.

Thought you were all talking about Huddlestone!

Chased the money a upper mid table team in Spain would have been interesting, don't blame him.

Knew a girl he dated she was 5"5. Also interesring

Man, I wish I was your age! But, it was a privilege to see the man in the flesh.

Stevee describes it well Jerry. He always suffered at the time because managers (especially English managers) saw him as a luxury item, because he wasn't the worlds best tackler or chaser back. He didn't have the complete set of a George Best. But I'd have loved to have seen with today's pitches and footballs - he'd walk into any team in the world.

One my mates (also Spurs) used to make it his task in every game to make (as he called it) a "T-Hudd pass" every game we played

Amazing what highlight vids do to people memory, whilst he could certainly ping a ball it wasn't seen every game. He was so fucking unfit, a long way off the pace of the game, one of the reasons he was dropped deeper. The other thing was all the oppo had to do was press him and he'd invariably cough up possession of the ball, one of the reasons we weren't very good back then and why we kept so few clean sheets.

Amazing what highlight vids do to people memory, whilst he could certainly ping a ball it wasn't seen every game. He was so fucking unfit, a long way off the pace of the game, one of the reasons he was dropped deeper. The other thing was all the oppo had to do was press him and he'd invariably cough up possession of the ball, one of the reasons we weren't very good back then and why we kept so few clean sheets.

Definitely.

Fucking joy to watch that technique though. Few beauties missing from that reel too. Ones against Shakhtar, Young Boys and Inter away.

Effortless.

Wasn't he an almost ever present the year we first qualified for CL football?

Wasn't he an almost ever present the year we first qualified for CL football?
His partnership with Modric might be a not bad combination of central midfield at that period.
The biggest issue for Huddlestone was his mobility. By comparing with Modric, he was too immobile as a central midfielder.

The vid makes it look like he scored quite a few for us, but I remember at the time thinking that he should get way more goals with the ability he had to twat a ball... Didn't he manage to grow a huge 'fro between goals, spanning two clubs?

Still good value for the £1m or so we paid Derby, I miss those days, he'd be £25m in the modern market.

Couldn't agree more with this. Way too slow for what top level football requires nowadays - big old unit but unfit with it. A shame because I think with better mentality and conditioning could have been an awesome player. Even so his passing could be awesome and scored a few incredible long-range shots like in the 3-3 NLD. Basically I think he was, overall, good, but also had a lot of unrealised potential.

Last edited:
Wrong thread. The Tanguy thread is in the Spurs section.

Back
Top Bottom