Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poor last year but an incredible servant. He never asked to move and always believed in our project. In the conversation as our best keeper. Captain for almost a decade.

Enjoy LA

450 games for the club. He really should get minutes vs Burnley and a proper farewell.

Fuck all that.... There's work to be done.

Unlike many who don't get to have a farewell (Dawson, Jan, Dembele); a final home fixture is the perfect opportunity to let him parade around the pitch at HT.

I wish Lloris well at LAFC and beyond but I really can't put him in the 'legend' or 'great' class. An excellent shot-stopper and indeed saved us many times but he didn't command his box often enough, was suspect for a near post shot, often ended up staring at free-kicks that sailed past him, and made me nervous when he tried to play out with his feet. The drink-driving incident should have resulted in him, at the very least, losing the captaincy of the club. The defence that I often hear is that 'he's a World Cup winner', but he was part of a great French team, and I would suggest that team would have won the WC with any half-decent keeper.

Whilst I appreciate I am of an older age than a lot on here, and by definition have therefore seen more keepers than those younger than me, Lloris wouldn't make it into the top three for keepers from Jennings onwards.

All said and done, good luck for the future but we already have a keeper who after half-a-season fills me with way more confidence than Lloris ever did.

I wish Lloris well at LAFC and beyond but I really can't put him in the 'legend' or 'great' class. An excellent shot-stopper and indeed saved us many times but he didn't command his box often enough, was suspect for a near post shot, often ended up staring at free-kicks that sailed past him, and made me nervous when he tried to play out with his feet. The drink-driving incident should have resulted in him, at the very least, losing the captaincy of the club. The defence that I often hear is that 'he's a World Cup winner', but he was part of a great French team, and I would suggest that team would have won the WC with any half-decent keeper.

Whilst I appreciate I am of an older age than a lot on here, and by definition have therefore seen more keepers than those younger than me, Lloris wouldn't make it into the top three for keepers from Jennings onwards.

All said and done, good luck for the future but we already have a keeper who after half-a-season fills me with way more confidence than Lloris ever did.
I’d go along with this.

He was a very good servant and I wish him all the best, but I too would be slow to label him a club legend.

One must not forget, he was captain for almost the entirety of one of the longest trophy drought’s in the history of the club.
He stayed with us for all that time because he was never good enough to join a team better than us. I constantly see comments like “he could have joined any team in the world but chose to stick with us.” That is really not true, he was never seriously linked with any of the really big boys.

I wish him all the best and hope he enjoys his retirement in LA, but I’m also very happy he’s no longer our goalkeeper and as you say, we now have a keeper who seems more reliable and solid that Lloris ever was…

Wherever he ends up, very best of luck to Hugo. Shame it's ended the way it has...not that impressed by that to be honest, Spurs. Probably the best keeper we've ever had, despite the fact he was pretty poor with his feet and had the odd mistake in him. That drink driving thing wasn't too clever either. But other than that, he was terrific. How many times did he save us or single-handedly win us points with his outrageously magnificent saves? What a goalie.

Au revoir, Monsieur. Merci pour les memories.
I wish him all the best but he isn’t close to the best ‘keeper we’ve ever had.

Back
Top Bottom