If Poch does go, who would you like to see next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disastrous scenario, unthinkable.
Give our run in. I’d suggest unlikely. However, we surrendered 5 points in one week and could be as little as 2 points clear before we next play. The pressure will very much be on. As we know. Our boys don’t like pressure.

Give our run in. I’d suggest unlikely. However, we surrendered 5 points in one week and could be as little as 2 points clear before we next play. The pressure will very much be on. As we know. Our boys don’t like pressure.
Get experience in get Toby.

Maybe his comments were aimed at both the fans and media to give them a reality check?

Perhaps he finds the constant "they need to win" rhetoric tiresome and damaging?

We've spent relatively little compared to 4 other teams but continue to compete. Sure I was gutted after the weekend but sat there post match with my Dad and said "that's our level", Sanchez's salary is the equivalent to three of our players FFS... We need to be real with our expectations here. I know some of our players were poor, almost not motivated at times and that's a separate issue...

I'm sorry to harp on but i've read "Brave New World" and the thing that stuck out the most is 'Loyalty and Respect'. I don't believe he is having a dig at the club or Levy, it's just not his style... I think it was aimed at the fans and media – people he can't communicate with on a one-to-one level.

It's clear both the manager and players are learning as they go. We're doing well considering...

Last edited:
Maybe his comments were aimed at both the fans and media to give them a reality check?

Perhaps he finds the constant "they need to win" rhetoric tiresome and damaging?

We've spent relatively little compared to 4 other teams but continue to compete. Sure I was gutted after the weekend but sat there post match with my Dad and said "that's our level", Sanchez's salary is the equivalent to three of our players FFS... We need to be real with our expectations here. I know some of our players were poor, almost not motivated at times and that's a separate issue...

I'm sorry to harp on but i've read "Brave New World" and the thing that stuck out the most is 'Loyalty and Respect'. I don't believe he is having a dig at the club or Levy, it's just not his style... I think it was aimed and the fans and media, people he can't communicate with on a one-to-one level.

It's clear both the manager and players are learning as they go. We're doing well considered...

:adesalute:

You managed to cobble together the point i was struggling to... I think hes become sick of the same media shit that we are and is seeking to point out amidst all the "Poch must win a trophy"-talk that the club would be operating the same way (inc. fees and wages) whether he was here or not.

I'm sorry to harp on but i've read "Brave New World" and the thing that stuck out the most is 'Loyalty and Respect'. I don't believe he is having a dig at the club or Levy, it's just not his style... I think it was aimed and the fans and media, people he can't communicate with on a one-to-one level.

It's clear both the manager and players are learning as they go. We're doing well considered...

disagree. say the usual crap "we are building, we are learning, its a long term project" blah blah. but at a cruicial moment when the team are already down, could be 2 points from chelsea going into the watford game, you DO NOT say something that distracts the team. isnt any different from the walker rumours coming out last season. or toby this year. Once stories come out, the heads are turned. when its a player, fine leave them out of the team and that might work. when its the main man, the manager. then its going to distract the whole team. why should any of them agree contract extensions until the manager commits or comes out and says he is staying

We lost 3 cup ties from winning positions this season against westham, juve and manu. Reality check for you.
Club spending and comparing salaries is an excuse. Two main players of Lloris and Toby did not play. Manager tactics and players performances matters.

Last edited:
We lost 3 cup ties from winning positions this season against westham, juve and manu. Reality check for you.
Club spending and comparing salaries is an excuse, manager tactics and players performances matters.

i'm aware of that but not sure of the point. Two of those games were against decent teams with shrewd managers that know how to manage a game of this sort... The other was a fluke. Has littled connection to the point I was making about Poch comments

i'm aware of that but not sure of the point. Two of those games were against decent teams with shrewd managers that know how to manage a game of this sort... The other was a fluke. Has littled connection to the point I was making about Poch comments
Are you saying we can never win against shrewd managers?! We might as well give up winning anything because all top clubs employ shrewd managers from Pep, Mourinho, Klop, Conte......
There was no fluke against westham, we were 2-0 first half then westham went for it and we capitulated. Plus we only managed a draw coming from behind in the home PL match.
Poch's comment definitely meant something because it was repeated more than once so it was not a slip of the tongue, we will find out one day.

disagree. say the usual crap "we are building, we are learning, its a long term project" blah blah. but at a cruicial moment when the team are already down, could be 2 points from chelsea going into the watford game, you DO NOT say something that distracts the team. isnt any different from the walker rumours coming out last season. or toby this year. Once stories come out, the heads are turned. when its a player, fine leave them out of the team and that might work. when its the main man, the manager. then its going to distract the whole team. why should any of them agree contract extensions until the manager commits or comes out and says he is staying

Hmmm, not sure you are disagreeing with my point thought... I wasn't saying it was right or wrong but more who I felt it was aimed at. Perhaps he was also trying to deflect some pressure from the players and taking on more himself.

Sure I didn't like to hear it but i'm not going to like anything I hear after a loss, there were few positives to be taken from the game.

We have a better run in that Liverpool and Chelsea. I still feel confident 4th is ours to lose, other teams may or may not be feeling the pressure. Perhaps there is less pressure on those teams? For Chelsea Conte has already fallen on his sword so the players don't need to worry, Liverpool will be distracted quite rightly so by the CL... All eyes are on us as we know it means so much as without the CL money we can't compete. Chelsea, Liverpool and City will always attract players who want money...

This forum could take charge of team matters, maybe you can all pick the team by proxy. Only then will everyone realise how difficult it is and may appreciate where we are and what we got?

I think devon wants him to stay too & meant if poch decides to go.
I don't think he ever said lets sack poch & then chop & change.
In a few pages we will be posting its illegal to sacrifice poch, ban the OP for life for saying such cruel sick words!
Anyway, we are lucky to have poch & lets hope he is here for many years!

Thank You, I never said I wanted Poch sacked, all I asked was if he decided to leave who should be next. He was the one who made odd statements after the semi final. We have pages on which potential transfers we should bring in or who should be sold. Others on what if he wants more money, does he deserve it. I believe he is one of the best managers we have ever had, but if he does decide to go, who should carry on the great foundations he has built?

:pochserious::pochserious: this thread man, absolute shambles, but to be honest it doesn't matter who we get in, would only make things worse because im suprised poch has managed to get us as good as he has with levys tight pockets

He’s got a better squad than Liverpool, United and Chelsea - stop making excuses for Pochettino’s failure.

He had a better team than Leicester and Chelsea when they won the league ahead of him - the man is a loser, just accept it and stop trying to deflect from the reality that this team should be doing more, and probably would under a proper manager.

Are you saying we can never win against shrewd managers?! We might as well give up winning anything because all top clubs employ shrewd managers from Pep, Mourinho, Klop, Conte......
There was no fluke against westham, we were 2-0 first half then westham went for it and we capitulated. Plus we only managed a draw coming from behind in the home PL match.
Poch's comment definitely meant something because it was repeated more than once so it was not a slip of the tongue, we will find out one day.

Poch doesn't slip... He mean't it but I think more to the fans and media... Our expectations are too great at the moment perhaps?

We have a young manager who will maybe look back at these games and think it should have been managed differently? It's the price we pay for him being inexperienced. Swings and roundabout... Conte and Jose win the first part in the press conference, to them it's an important part of the game that Fergie did so well. Poch has already said he doesn't agree with this. He might need to change but I understand his reluctance.

So what do you want to do? get rid? you think every young manager won everything? City just got knocked out the CL. Should they kick Pep out? All they will this season is a Micky Mouse cup and the league... considering the money they have spent that's no great achievement.

I think he's clearly frustrated (both by the 'need to win' narrative and by the failure to win), but I also think people have read too much into his comments. He was quoted in the Mail last night as saying:

'I am thinking with Tottenham to play with kids the next time because it's so unfair when you lose but that is my job to be criticised when we don't win,' Pochettino said.

'The problem is the perception sometimes is not realistic. But maybe yes, next we will provide the possibility to play with kids and I'm sure it will be fantastic for experience and everything.

'Then we stop to arrive in this situation (of being questioned about not winning trophies).'

Poch doesn't slip... He mean't it but I think more to the fans and media... Our expectations are too great at the moment perhaps?

I don't believe our expectation are too high. I don't think Spurs fan were expecting PL or CL. Buy yes expecting to win SF against manu, do you think that this is too great expectation at the moment?

Last edited:
I don't believe our expectation are too high. I don't think Spurs fan were expecting PL or CL. Buy yes expecting to win SF against manu, do you think that this is too great at the moment?

No and for more reasons than most I needed it to be this year so was truly gutted... upset.

but cup games can go either way, it's why a smaller team sometimes pull off a shock win. I will be more livid if we throw away 4th that to me is a sign of bottling it and bad mentality.

No and for more reasons than most I needed it to be this year so was truly gutted... upset.

but cup games can go either way, it's why a smaller team sometimes pull off a shock win. I will be more livid if we throw away 4th that to me is a sign of bottling it and bad mentality.
To throw away 4th place at this stage is unthinkable, with new stadium and the need to fill the terraces on match days, would lead to serious financial consequences. Success on the pitch is very important.

To throw away 4th place at this stage is unthinkable, with new stadium and the need to fill the terraces on match days, would lead to serious financial consequences. Success on the pitch is very important.

Indeed and everyone knows that right? If we get it, and the stadium continues at the pace it is, next season for me more than any other will show us what Poch is all about... Has he hit his ceiling? Any decision before this is madness and shouldn't be entertained. In my view...

before the season started I was really concerned out us not competing. Well we have, so lets look back at the stats at the end of the season and take everything into account. We don't need to review now, relegation isn't around the corner...

Back
Top Bottom