Inter Milan H Sun 4 Aug 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our passing is still pretty poor, very slow and horizontal, only time we show any penetration is by running it down the flanks or going long from the back or the rare counter. In other words, we haven't changed our overall creative play from last season. N'dombele isn't the answer to those problems, we need to sign a whole host of players who are better at basic passing and linking up, in order to move up another level.
The whole match has been played at 60%. Really makes it hard to understand if this is because we are tired from training or this is how we’d react in an actual match.

Not a bad half but not the greatest we have seen in pre-season so far, the players look a little leggy today, betting they have had some tough training considering we start in the PL next week.

That being said, I really feel like, even with Sess apparently done, we are still short.

We need a RB, Aurier isn't reliable, KWP isn't good enough and Foyth is a CB imo.

If we don't get a RB in then we will be getting punished for it by teams in the PL, they will exploit that side week in week out, I also think we need another creative player (Lo Celso) but I don't think that's going to happen now that he has travelled for preseason.

I don't see any excuses for not strengthening these positions and if we don't then Levy needs to be held to account for it because it's honestly a complete piss take of the manager and the supporters.

We need to become a team who can play much more intricate stuff from a standing position, and to do that we need a more dramatic transformation of our squad quality than just 1 or 2 signings, and it doesn't look like it's happening this window.

No it needs more work on the training ground. The intricate style has to come from the manager and coaches, if they want to play that way

Think Lamela sniffs Eriksens spot might be there for him to grab.

When he is on song, he makes us look/play really dynamic footi.

Winks is a very likeable, tidy and technically good player but he has got to take more risks with his passing, there are times when there is a more incisive pass available and he rejects making it and chooses a safer option.

Too many shifts as the deepest man? Loved a vertical when he first broke through...

Not liking KWP at all.

Exact opposite, he has skinned their guy several times. Getting turned is exactly what Rose/Trippier were prone to doing (until they got fed up with Poch putting the videos under their noses saying they are playing shit).

He has all the tools, except the arrogance of self belief.

My biggest area of concern for us this season is RB, we are going to leak so many goals down that side, criminal that we let Trippier go without having a replacement ready and the thing is, Trippier was shit, how hard is it to find an improvement on him?

The biggest area of concern is still massively midfield. We are a team that wants to control the ball, play from the back and press high to protect our high line, just adding Ndombele will not solve all the problems we had doing that last season, and we are seeing signs of this still in pre-season.

Sissoko just does not fit that philosophy at all, he's reactive without the ball, and does nothing incisive with the ball. Winks is easy to like, he's neat and tidy and technically much more comfortable with the ball than Sissoko, but does not have the defensive dynamism and voracity to hold a midfield together and is too risk averse with his passing.

Not sure why Poch didn't start Eriksen instead of Sissoko and played him left 8 and played Ndombele in his more comfortable R8 position, but that's Poch for you.

This diamond isn't ideal either, it makes us too narrow, and Moura is just too fucking erratic and head down to play centrally.

As far as KWP goes, we really just need to give him time before making a proper judgement call, TAA was very inconsistent his first season, until we actually give KWP some consistent starts and allow him to learn and develop and make mistakes we can't judge him properly.

KWP playing like KWP every time KWP plays.

For everyone’s sake let’s hope some match time will help him develop his positional sense.

It's a point of weakness for so many teams, there is just a lack of real quality RB's. I'm not really defending Trippier here, but you could do worse when you look around at many other teams. Look at the teams that he was linked to when the rumors first started about him leaving. Good, high-powered teams were all apparently interested and still ended up going to Atletico.

It was the right decision for him to go but I agree that we should have had a replacement lined up.

This is what I am saying mate, Trippier had a shit season and KWP, Aurier and Foyth couldn't get in ahead of him as first choice, why are those three all of a sudden good enough if Poch didn't think so last season.

You're right, there probably is a real lack of RBs out there but if we are incapable of finding a player better than Trippier at that position it would indicate we aren't doing a very good job behind the scenes, United already signed the best RB in the PL who would have been perfect for us, can't believe we weren't in for him.

It feels like we still have the problem of shutting off towards the end of halves/games as we had last season.

How has Poch not fixed that? No turning off until the final whistle blows

Back
Top Bottom