Interesting points of view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I read 2 articles today that brought up some very very interesting points. the first article was regarding modric to man u but the point of view was that it would be a very bad buy for man u. it argued that modders would probably only sign for a 5 year deal, which would pretty much see him through to the end of his career. cost to club for those 5 years was £79 mill and was broken down as £30mill transfer and wages @ £150 000 a week. at the end of that period modders is too old to really sell on for anywhere near what they paid for him. if they were to seek out somebody like hazard for a few million less in transfer fees and lower wages not only would the club save money but in 5 years time hazard is still younger than modric is now, either allowing him to play for another 5 years for the club or be sold on for a much much higher fee. This is where spurs keep fucking up. we think we getting these awesome deals with older players but the truth is we are just making trouble for ourselves because not only are we left with old players nobody wants but its costing us money while they sit never being used till they can leave on a free.
SPURS NEED TO BUY AND KEEP YOUNG TALENT!!! simple solution.

the second article had to do with players outside of the top 4 teams who are doing as well as their counterparts for a fraction of the cost and could for all intensive purposes be brilliant buys for bigger clubs instead of those bigger clubs seeking "big name" buys from abroad.
made some really good points, and brought up some really interesting ideas.

how do you guys feel about those ideas? do we need to stop being the old age home where old stars come to die/end their careers?
fair enough if they end their careers with us after years and years of service (ala king), and what other players outside of the top 4 teams do you think could actually be brought into our current squad either as back up or replacements for 1st team squad memebers and actually BETTER THE SQUAD?

I think Levy has shown on plenty of occasions he has got crazy money for players who have fallen down the peckin order at Spurs.

Its only really Bentley and Jenas left to sell on and cement his status as a brutal businessman.

Your fascination with Modric leaving the club is quite extraordinary. That's my first thought.

My second thought is that these old heads we are buying are not tied down to long term contracts, if anything at the end of the season we will be easily shifting most of them. With Livermore and Walker this year and Caulker, Naughton and Townsend next year likely I think that's where our main focus is.

The reason we got these old heads in is because our squad was horrendously inexperienced.

We needed players who had been there and done it.

As Zin says, we have loads of talented young players.

zin said:
Your fascination with Modric leaving the club is quite extraordinary. That's my first thought.

My second thought is that these old heads we are buying are not tied down to long term contracts, if anything at the end of the season we will be easily shifting most of them. With Livermore and Walker this year and Caulker, Naughton and Townsend next year likely I think that's where our main focus is.
its not a fascination its just dominated the football "news" today. yes we have some awesome youngsters in the wings, but do you think there are some great players we could buy to bolster the squad that A - we just havent seen perform because we are spurs supporters and only see them twice a season when spurs play there team or B - there actually arent really any other players out there to bring into our squad?

durbanspur said:
zin said:

its not a fascination its just dominated the football "news" today. yes we have some awesome youngsters in the wings, but do you think there are some great players we could buy to bolster the squad that A - we just havent seen perform because we are spurs supporters and only see them twice a season when spurs play there team or B - there actually arent really any other players out there to bring into our squad?

The way I see it we are a top top center back, a t'rrific right winger and a couple of fantastic strikers away from having an incredible team. If at least two of Verthogen, Hazard, Remy and maybe Huntelaar come in I think Modric would be blind to not see that himself and I would be shocked if Levy would buckle to his demands after getting so close to a squad challenging for titles.

This season we have upgraded with Walker at RB, Parker in Midfield, Friedel as GK and Adebayor up front without actually losing anyone important, so we are perfectly capable of adding another 4 betters players to the first team squad.

zin said:
durbanspur said:
zin said:

The way I see it we are a top top center back, a t'rrific right winger and a couple of fantastic strikers away from having an incredible team. If at least two of Verthogen, Hazard, Remy and maybe Huntelaar come in I think Modric would be blind to not see that himself and I would be shocked if Levy would buckle to his demands after getting so close to a squad challenging for titles.

This season we have upgraded with Walker at RB, Parker in Midfield, Friedel as GK and Adebayor up front without actually losing anyone important, so we are perfectly capable of adding another 4 betters players to the first team squad.
i dont dispute that at all. what Im saying/asking is are there players out there we could use to bolster our squad without going looking for "big name signings" for example (JUST EXAMPLES) hoilett or even steven fletcher.

Small sidenote : everybody is looking for young and exciting talent. I know some talent scounts and every national -15 / -17 /-19 game is filled with scouts from the biggest teams

And you need a certain philosphy in the club to be able to let young players get in the team , not just by coincidence or if someone else is injured

So whats your point?

When was the last time we made a really 'big name signing'?

Adebayor doesnt count.

Walker
Bale
Dawson
Lennon
BAE
Sandro
Parker
Defoe
Saha
Nelsen
Pienaar

you could go on...how many of those are 'big name signings'

Ade doesnt count as hes only on loan.

my point is we need to better the squad no matter what, that goes without saying. all the names you mentioned were brought in to better the squad and none of them are big name signings. All the names we are linked with in various forms of the press hazard, rossi, remy, lloerent etc etc are all gonna cost us a shitload of cash right, and chances are with our run of form they arent even gonna give us a look. So to continue the way we pretty much always have done (no real big name signings), who out there can we consider a good buy?we need...

1 x goal keeper
2 x strikers
1 x midfielder
1 x defender

no players from any top 4 team in any league and no players over lets say £10 million.
who are your 5?

Dru said:
So whats your point?

When was the last time we made a really 'big name signing'?

Adebayor doesnt count.

Walker
Bale
Dawson
Lennon
BAE
Sandro
Parker
Defoe
Saha
Nelsen
Pienaar

you could go on...how many of those are 'big name signings'

Ade doesnt count as hes only on loan.
to be fair you missing VDV and we dnt consider him big name because we practically got him for free.

Fair point VDV but I was making the point we have signed players before that werent 'big names'

The thing is now, we have improved so much over the last 5 years we are at the stage now where only really special players are going to push us on,

For instance a truly world class striker we all crave isnt going to be sitting around in the championship. OK we may get lucky and find another Berbatov but even then, what we need now is someone better than him, someone who is going to get 20+ goals a season and they dont come cheap do they...

durbanspur said:
my point is we need to better the squad no matter what, that goes without saying. all the names you mentioned were brought in to better the squad and none of them are big name signings. All the names we are linked with in various forms of the press hazard, rossi, remy, lloerent etc etc are all gonna cost us a shitload of cash right, and chances are with our run of form they arent even gonna give us a look. So to continue the way we pretty much always have done (no real big name signings), who out there can we consider a good buy?we need...

1 x goal keeper
2 x strikers
1 x midfielder
1 x defender

no players from any top 4 team in any league and no players over lets say £10 million.
who are your 5?

We don't NEED a GK, we have another year before we need to worry about that and what do you mean by midfielder and defender? what position?

i wouldnt be too quick to say that. maybe we just havent looked hard enough. and on the flip side to that if we are going to take on older players to run their careers dry get better ones!!!!! Di Natale from udinese has crazy stats... 29 in 38 in 2009/10, 28 in 38 in 2010/11 and 22 in 28 already this season. sure he is 34 but id take him over saha or defoe anyday!!!

The reason why this debate is, in my opinion, a bit of a nonsense is because it once again over simplifies the way clubs have to go about making signings. One year fans are banging on about too many kids in the squad. A couple years later, too many oldies on short contracts. One window opens and it's "why aren't we bringing in mega signings". Next window opens "oh, we've had a few kids turn out nicely, why aren't we finding all the other warm wax younger to mold into top talent?". Various other statements that pick up on the opening post that have been said in the past (including this season) include "we need players who are experienced at the top level", which, of course, if the opposite to Durban's "we need players from smaller clubs to do a job".

The reality is, and this is why fans often misunderstand how the transfer market works, is that every big club has to work at a combination of the above. It's just not as simple as saying "we have to do X". Every possible signing or sale has to take into account which other clubs are after the player, how much the player needs/wants to earn, where the player wants to live, what our club and others can afford, which other sales/purchases may affect or by affected by the signing/sale. The way people talk, it's as if the club has no scouts, does not look for young talent, is not aware of pre-existing talent and doesn't keep an eye on players in lower clubs.

Do you know what the reality is? The reality is that we, and all other clubs, try our best with all of these. We do what money and competition allows. At the end of the day any player bought or sold is a gamble. Players are human beings. They hit form. They lose it. There is therefore risk at every level of player sales and purchases and it's just not as simple as saying "we are shit because we failed to go out and do X". Are we capable of making mistakes? Yes, of course we are. But I don't for one minute believe those mistakes are as simplistic as some would have us believe.

zin said:
durbanspur said:

1 x goal keeper
2 x strikers
1 x midfielder
1 x defender

who are your 5?

We don't NEED a GK, we have another year before we need to worry about that and what do you mean by midfielder and defender? what position?
you decide what position, but give a reason why. just stick to the rules. no players from any top 4 team in any league and no players over lets say £10 million.

Also you never know what goes on behind the scenes,

Craig Bellamy said not long ago he was very close to joining Everton before he went to Liverpool. He had a meeting with Moyes that apparently went really well. Then he had a 2nd meeting sometime later and Moyes tells him there are very strict clubs rules he would have to adhere too. Bellamy thought someone must have been in Moyes ear about his behavior and decided not to join them.
Moyes also very newarly got Defoe off Portsmouth before we came and took him back so you never know what goes on and how close players come to joining clubs all the time...

for example (and i did some research to find out what the hell happened to him) Lacina Traore? ever heard of him? ivory coast striker, young as sin, but played champions league and looked like he was destined for great things... remember him ripping basel a new one. club goes into liquidation and he got sold to Kuban Krasnodar. ever heard of them? i havent. yet still in a shit team of nobodies (did some more research) the 21 year old has scored 15 goals in 27 games!!!! WTF... How did he pass under the radar? he is tall and fast and finishes like some of the worlds best? spurs could probably pick him up for chump change and have a prolific striker.

Back
Top Bottom