Interesting points of view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy knows exactly what he's doing.

As a general transfer policy, we don't sign older players for the exact reason that they have no resale value. It's the reason we very nearly didn't sign Parker at the start of the season, although Redknapp obviously stated a good case and we brought him in.

Nelsen and Saha were both free as far as i'm aware, so we pay them some small wages for a season whilst taking on board their experience. We don't sell them on but it doesn't matter because we've not paid for them as such.

As for looking at players outside the bigger clubs, look where that's got us in the past: Palacios (wasn't bad to start with but then went to shit), Bentley, Chimbonda, Bent, Bassong etc. Even from lesser teams abroad, we boast the likes of Rebrov, Hutton, Zokora, Postiga etc. Every single player there cost us more than £5m and was a flop, proof that buying players that have impressed at smaller clubs for over-inflated prices doesn't work.

Also, WE'RE NOT SELLING MODRIC.

durbanspur said:
for example (and i did some research to find out what the hell happened to him) Lacina Traore? ever heard of him? ivory coast striker, young as sin, but played champions league and looked like he was destined for great things... remember him ripping basel a new one. club goes into liquidation and he got sold to Kuban Krasnodar. ever heard of them? i havent. yet still in a shit team of nobodies (did some more research) the 21 year old has scored 15 goals in 27 games!!!! WTF... How did he pass under the radar? he is tall and fast and finishes like some of the worlds best? spurs could probably pick him up for chump change and have a prolific striker.
Krasnodar are a Russian Prem team. What makes you think they are not paying him equal or better than we would be?

What also makes you think he is good enough for our league?

A lot of your comments seem based entirely on assumption. With that in mind, how can you possibly indentify whether or not this guy was, or remains, a realistic target?

How, also, do you know whether or not he has been looked at by us and decided inappropriate?

durbanspur said:
for example (and i did some research to find out what the hell happened to him) Lacina Traore? ever heard of him? ivory coast striker, young as sin, but played champions league and looked like he was destined for great things... remember him ripping basel a new one. club goes into liquidation and he got sold to Kuban Krasnodar. ever heard of them? i havent. yet still in a shit team of nobodies (did some more research) the 21 year old has scored 15 goals in 27 games!!!! WTF... How did he pass under the radar? he is tall and fast and finishes like some of the worlds best? spurs could probably pick him up for chump change and have a prolific striker.
He's shit. He had a few good games in the CL for some Romanian team that were a 'surprise package' but if you look at his domestic league he only scored 14 in 44, and that's in a league that is ranked as the 25th best in Europe (not even the world!).

Also I remember reading some time this week on a Gossip page somewhere that Swansea were looking at him. But bearing in mind he signed for Kuban for £6m, he's going to cost a fair bit more than that which would be a complete waste of money.

Smoked Salmon said:
durbanspur said:
Krasnodar are a Russian Prem team. What makes you think they are not paying him equal or better than we would be?

What also makes you think he is good enough for our league?

A lot of your comments seem based entirely on assumption. With that in mind, how can you possibly indentify whether or not this guy was, or remains, a realistic target?

How, also, do you know whether or not he has been looked at by us and decided inappropriate?

Exactly, hence my point about not knowing what goes on at clubs.

good points guys... we dont know how many of these players are looked at but passed over.
any thoughts on Olivier Giroud as a striker worth taking on? he has 20 goals from 30 games so far this season.
and he is valued at roughly £8 mill.

Dru said:
I remember Woolwich being linked with him, isnt he like 6ft 100 or something?

ja he is a freaking monster!!! also he is still very young might still make waves later on in his career.

durbanspur said:
zin said:
durbanspur said:
my point is we need to better the squad no matter what, that goes without saying. all the names you mentioned were brought in to better the squad and none of them are big name signings. All the names we are linked with in various forms of the press hazard, rossi, remy, lloerent etc etc are all gonna cost us a shitload of cash right, and chances are with our run of form they arent even gonna give us a look. So to continue the way we pretty much always have done (no real big name signings), who out there can we consider a good buy?we need...

1 x goal keeper
2 x strikers
1 x midfielder
1 x defender

no players from any top 4 team in any league and no players over lets say £10 million.
who are your 5?

We don't NEED a GK, we have another year before we need to worry about that and what do you mean by midfielder and defender? what position?
you decide what position, but give a reason why. just stick to the rules. no players from any top 4 team in any league and no players over lets say £10 million.

Why suggest names for the hell of filling up spots just because I'm limited to 10m? IMO Verthogen (10m), Remy (15m), Hazard (25m), Llorente(20m)/Huntelaar(15m) are all obtainable and that's in euros, I'm not saying we're gonna get all of them but even if we do 50-60m as a one off push for quality is doable for us. Your top 4 rule makes no sense for Verthogen, Remy and Hazard as the Dutch and French leagues are not even a top 4 league.

Whatever happens the next manager and Levy have got some work to do to improve the squad as every other team around us will be doing just that in the summer.

zin said:
Why suggest names for the hell of filling up spots just because I'm limited to 10m? IMO Verthogen (10m), Remy (15m), Hazard (25m), Llorente(20m)/Huntelaar(15m) are all obtainable and that's in euros, I'm not saying we're gonna get all of them but even if we do 50-60m as a one off push for quality is doable for us. Your top 4 rule makes no sense for Verthogen, Remy and Hazard as the Dutch and French leagues are not even a top 4 league.

i for one would love nothing more than to see even just 1 of those names on our team sheet. we deserve to have a bigger name we are linked with come to us for a change and not snub us. about no top 4 teams they just generally have all the financial power.

Seriously guys where do these transfer figures come from? The prices flying around are absurd, how can anyone except the clubs they play for put a price tag on them?

I mean sure, there are sites like TransferMarkt but this is the website that lists Leandro Damiao at £12.5m and Messi at £88m (even though he'll never ever be sold) so their accuracy is hardly spot-on.

EDIT:
durbanspur said:
good points guys... we dont know how many of these players are looked at but passed over.
any thoughts on Olivier Giroud as a striker worth taking on? he has 20 goals from 30 games so far this season.
and he is valued at roughly £8 mill.
See, where does this £8m figure come from? A simple search finds this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ontpellier - The chairman of his club says he would not be sold for anything under £40m.

I have had this argument with a mate of mine time and time again. He says Levy didn't do this, Redknapp didn't do that after every transfer window and I always respond with, how do you know? We don't have a sausage what goes on, we get people trying to drive up traffic on their website who talk a load of old cobblers about potential signings with absolutely know knowledge whatsoever.

It is fine for us to speculate but that is all it is; the figures are an estimation but then we never really know, who would have thought Carroll would go for £35m for example?

Huntelaar, for my money would be a lot more than £15m but in the conext it is a reasonable price to suggest.

Abbey Yid said:
As a general transfer policy, we don't sign older players for the exact reason that they have no resale value. It's the reason we very nearly didn't sign Parker at the start of the season, although Redknapp obviously stated a good case and we brought him in.
I think Levy was very disinclined to buy Parker because of his age until the price dropped since West Ham were unable to move him. They wanted £8m for him as late as mid-July, but he apparently came in for £5.5m.

So while Harry's love for him help land him, I think Levy was more swayed by his ability to pull the price down.

Back
Top Bottom