Is the football bubble close to bursting?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Do we think there will soon come a point where football eats itself through sheer greed?

Newcastle are now yet another souped up mediocre club that will become CL regulars and eventually winners. Clubs in the lower divisions are struggling to stay afloat. Wages are frankly repugnant. Many of the players are easy to dislike, and the whole sport is drowning in blood money with no hope of a life raft.

Ticket prices skyrocket even more than the cost of living. VAR simply makes corruption easier, and major clubs have already been caught match-fixing. A World Cup in Qatar, FIFA ran by crooks, odious people like Gary Neville becoming star pundits.

Not just England either. Spain and Italy are experiencing massive issues.

Maybe I'm exaggerating and nothing will ever stop the capitalist football juggernaut, but things have felt very different over the last couple of years.

It will be just stadiums half full with tourists and billions of foreign fans watching game 8 of the play offs between city amd Newcastle. No ta.

I’ll be down at my local non league club having an ale with me dog on the sideline

The PL is now just the playground of the ultra super rich. Overseas PL games will be coming soon and there is no real link between the communities that built the clubs and what they are now.

Like many of our businesses, land, property and other British assets, we’ve opened ourselves to international acquisition without any thought or consideration of the implications.

Phoenix club please. Ground share with Orient. Enjoy a laugh and a day out again far away from the criminals who’ve destroyed our game.

It'll continue to mutate into the horrible beast that it's already well on its way to becoming............. Most of our 'fears' will become reality. Not likely to burst in a hurry however.....

From a personal point of view though.... Very close to bursting.

Once again I shall be watching Orient this season more than Spurs

Great day out, don’t care about the standard of football, it’s the atmosphere and the old school feel of it all

What football used to be

Is the bubble close to bursting? Naaaah - nowhere near it.
Greedy capitalists have recognised the game for the cash cow that it is - that's not changing anytime soon.
Egocentric billionaires have latched onto it, like the parasites they are, boosting their egos even further. They're not going away in the near future.
Paradoxically, between them, the money & power-hungry individuals are both wrecking and improving aspects of Football for the modern-day fan.
As a supporter of one of the clubs that has benefitted most from all this crap, I am embarrassed and saddened by the inequalities this money has created, but I also enjoy the fruits of the dirty money trees (the Stadium, incredible footballers, beer that fills from the BOTTOM of the glass, digital ticketing lol).
This obscenely massive pool of money will continue to slosh around at the top end of the game, like a putrid green sludge engulfing us, until companies find a more effective way to sell their products. That change is some way off, if ever. Definitely not in my lifetime.

As a lifer, locked into one of the successful clubs, I am forced to accept all this, and like the Walrus, I shed a tear for every oyster I devour.

For decades we have heard 'the bubble will burst', yet the bubble is still very much inflated.

I can remember John Barnes being injured when he was at Liverpool and there was an uproar that he was still being paid £10k a week.

There is a long way to go before the bubble bursts, IMO.

League Two is always an option for those who want to watch /experience football from 20-30 years ago. Used to go orient and Brentford a bit. On the down side Shit football, hard to get engrossed (as its not your team).

Is it bad that I kind of hope so?

Football to me is becoming more and more depressing, and not just because Spurs seem to be going nowhere fast.

Hell I'm only 34 years old and the sport just seems more soulless than it's ever been in my lifetime.

When you have clubs that are essentially owned by countries, how can anyone else hope to compete?

I can say with confidence we'll likely never see another Leicester 15/16 situation again, in that a team comes from nowhere to win the PL Title (granted that wouldn't have happened had Spurs not decided to shoot ourselves in the collective heads that season).

no - lets let the billionaires and franchise clubs have their league. Let them have all of the players they want and pay them the salaries that the stupid bastards are prepared to pay.

Then lets have peasants football, national leagues, internationals that don't include the moneybags teams and players - and have a grassroots game played on a level playing field financially.

Yep there will be people prepared to pay £50 to watch it on Sky and amazon, but eventually people will migrate across to the grassroots game because it's affordable and inclusive, people will regain their joy of being part of a football club, rather than donors into a money making machine geared around a tiny minority.

Football England can rejoice in having Middle eastern football teams playing teams without British players in stadia owned by tax exiles and foreigners, and meanwhile the rest of the country will simply find another level of entertainment in the game - that encourages us to go along and watch.

We can still watch Spurs, because ENIC will probably sell the team to Tesco's and host The Taliban Terriers Football Club, run entirely on the sale of heroin from their poppy fields, in the NWHL stadium

New THFC will be playing home games in Borehamwood

Failing that - the FA and premier league could try and grow some balls and say the minimum requirement to own a British club is to be a minimum of fifth generation citizenship, and that all clubs have to run their team from a set amount paid up front, at the start of every season. All transfers, player salaries, coaching staff salaries and expenses to be paid from the pot.
Agents are to be banned from the game - but players can be represented for any contracts they secure outside of the game.

Woolwich will be wound up and the stadium burned and levelled to show all of the other clubs what will happen to clubs stepping outside of the new PL model. Their extinction will be an example to everyone else. The demise of the club will be recognised by the sponsorship of a public toilet in Delhi.

Major League Baseball will be the first domino to fall.

But yeah, the major legacy spectator sports are in trouble. They won’t go out of business or anything but long-term retrenchment is coming.

The one thing that worries me is that FIFA is run by people who are in for the quick cash fix and don't give a damn about the future.
Not just FIFA. Everyone is desperate for growth and if that means mortgaging the future or risking the credibility of the whole enterprise, well, we have next fiscal year’s accounts to shore up.

Late Capitalism, as they say

Been thinking about attending Bristol Rovers games.

I can walk to Bristol City's ground, but they don't do much for me.
It may come if you get a group going, beers, no worries for tickets & sit together. I didn't have that when I went so nothing for me either.

Went to a playoff final and left at extra time.. The team I was "supporting" won and I was still glad to be half way home.

The answer to the original question is: far from it. There’s a danger that because Spurs have hit a perceived (I say perceived because in reality it isn’t) a sticky patch, some fans are disillusioned. But overall football is incredibly well supported

Back
Top Bottom