Is this the start of a relegation battle?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are win a relegation battle (at the start of November)

• Yes 100%. I’m shitting it. The players don’t want it.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • No. Top 4 is definitely still achievable

Votes: 49 49.5%
  • Yes. Only if Poch stays. He’s the problem not the players.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Not sure. But I’m still undecided about Brexit as well.

Votes: 17 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't agree.

On paper, you are absolutely correct, but on the pitch we are so poor with so little actual effort or passion. If we find ourselves in a fight come Xmas then we should be really worried because we don't have the minerals to battle it out.

This ain't fantasy football.
Again. Worst we've played in decades, twice as close to 5th as 18th. We're not in a relegation fight, nor will we be in one. Doesn't mean we aren't shit, doesn't mean things are ok, doesn't mean big changes don't need to be made. Just means the talk of relegation is a ridiculous over reaction.

So because we have taken 2 points more than teams in the drop zone or around the drop zone we aren't in relegation form?

You saying there is 0% chance of us being relegated is an extreme reaction if anything, yes, I admit, it's very unlikely and should certainly not happen with this squad but your overconfidence reminds me of when people said Leicester wouldn't win the league and that people were overreacting to their good form.

You don't want to hear that relegation is a possible outcome that's the issue here because the admittance of it being possible would mean that any position or opinion about keeping Poch in a job would become immediately irrelevant.

It's not an overreaction at all mate, if West Ham beat us next game, we are in a battle to stay out of the relegation zone, that's the very definition of a relegation battle, doesn't matter how unrealistic that sounds to you, that's the situation we are currently faced with.

We would have to lose the next 2 matches whilst Everton, Spam, Villa, Watford, and Southampton take maximum points. We're no where near the relegation fight. We're 6 points from 18th and 3 points from 5th, with the most talented squad of all the clubs outside the top 4.

Spam have us, Chelsea, Wolves, and woolwich on the trot. Even if they beat us, they'll still be below us come December.

Relax...not everything is doom and gloom.

We would have to lose the next 2 matches whilst Everton, Spam, Villa, Watford, and Southampton take maximum points. We're no where near the relegation fight. We're 6 points from 18th and 3 points from 5th, with the most talented squad of all the clubs outside the top 4.

Spam have us, Chelsea, Wolves, and woolwich on the trot. Even if they beat us, they'll still be below us come December.

All I am saying mate is that to write relegation off and say it isn't possible is dangerous, people wrote Leicester off when they won the league.

Confidence can do strange things in sports, it can carry you to amazing feats, the same thing can happen with a lack of confidence, it can completely kill a season and a club in a very short period of time.

And even if we don't get relegated, we still need a change, so whilst you say everything is not doom and gloom I would counter that with well, what positives can we really take from a season where we finish mid-table with no trophies? The only positive would be we didn't get relegated, that's not something to celebrate.

Again. Worst we've played in decades, twice as close to 5th as 18th. We're not in a relegation fight, nor will we be in one. Doesn't mean we aren't shit, doesn't mean things are ok, doesn't mean big changes don't need to be made. Just means the talk of relegation is a ridiculous over reaction.
Again. I am saying that there is no such thing as being too good to go down.

1pt per game average this calendar year. Do the Johnny Mathis. Maybe statistically the chances are slim, but they sure as shit aren't 0%. I don't see it as a real possibility at this point, but if results don't change between now and the New Year then I would really worry about our squad and their ability to fight for points rather than reach for the phone.

Monaco had "way too good" a team to be relegated last year and barely escaped at the last second.

Never write the possibility off. Use it at a motivator to not go down.

Phew, once again "And there was me fretting"
:coys:

It is pretty close to everything doom and gloom. We’ve picked up 25 points from our last 24 league games. We’re supposed to be one of the Top 10 club sides in the world. There’s no other elite club or club with aspirations of elite status that would have adopted the Nero fiddling as Rome burned down approach that we have. There’s usually only one thing that snaps the kind of rut that we’re in and that’s a new manager bounce.

Only when we are ensconced in the bottom 3 by 3 or 4 points will the penny drop for most

For my two cents I don't think we are a million miles off of being in that situation in the next month or so

This is a team that has simply forgotten how to win football matches and no matter how good you perceive our squad to be , it is a squad that has taken less than a point a game in a 25 game stretch with barely any signs of imminent change

That is extremely precarious whether you want to open your eyes and admit it or not

I looked up season 1976/77 there, the last season we were relegated. We had 14 points on the board after 12 games that season. We’re currently on 14 points after 12 games.

We haven't even played a decent team at home this season. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Leicester, Utd, Woolwich,Wolves still to come at NWHL, plus the Spammers for their cup final and they did best us at home last season

With the form we are in and the absence of any confidence we are really going to struggle to pick up points from those home games. This and our rotten away form means we have a massive battle ahead. I don't think Poch has the nous to get us out of this rut

I looked up season 1976/77 there, the last season we were relegated. We had 14 points on the board after 12 games that season. We’re currently on 14 points after 12 games.

Not sure that’s correct? I read we had 9 after 15? And had conceded 34 goals at that marker.
(After 19 games based on 3 points for a win we would have had 17 points and a GD of -15). 3rd from bottom at that point but 22 teams in the league.

Don’t forget still 2 points for a win that season.......

Last edited:

It should be an over reaction based on our squad.

But football isn’t a game based on reputation. Our home games on 2020 are significantly harder than 2019. On paper this season was our chance to really be in contention going into Xmas if we had strong home form.

The reality is we are a mid table team 2019 to date. A drastic improvement will see us shoot up the table. A drastic reduction in home wins will see us in danger.

Not sure that’s correct? I read we had 9 after 15? And had conceded 34 goals at that marker.
(After 19 games based on 3 points for a win we would have had 17 points and a GD of -15). 3rd from bottom at that point but 22 teams in the league.

Don’t forget still 2 points for a win that season.......

I had forgotten the 2 points for a win. Won 4 drew 2 Lost 6 of first 12 which transfers into 14 points if it was 3 for a win.

I had forgotten the 2 points for a win. Won 4 drew 2 Lost 6 of first 12 which transfers into 14 points if it was 3 for a win.

My plan was to write an article off the back of this thread. Did a bit of research and what not.
But time got the better of me. Ended on -24 GD. Worst in the league.

Look at the league table now. There are far worse teams than us. Too good to go down....... this season anyway

Relegated teams tend to leak goals or struggle scoring them. We are not at that point. Yet.
With Kane, Son and Moura capable of scoring we should be ok.
Our midfielders don’t score enough. Winks and Sissoko I’m looking at you. Ndombele and Lo Celso look to be upgrades.
Dele. Fuck knows. I’m in his corner. But Poch needs to play him to his strengths. Or sell him for a good fee to a team that will.

Anyway you could say we are currently more mid table Spurs of the 90s rather than the team that went down in the 70s.

But with a team who under this manager when times were much better have sometimes capitulated - which should give us all a bit of cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom