Jan Vertonghen broke me

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jan will never make Tottenham. So Jan will never break Tottenham. A little adaptation of rapsody. Anyway, He hasn't been the same player at all. I can't see him wanting to stay. To me, he seems like a quiet guy who doesn't show much emotion. Last season I remember watching a lot of him joking around with Dembele off the pitch and remember him acting happily, yet having a blank face. This season, to me, he just seems to act a bit forced, if that makes any sense, with whatever he does. He doesn't move as freely, imo. He doesn't always hustle and constantly looks annoyed at our other players. I can't fault him for getting annoyed at our other players, but not hustling is inexcusable. No, I cannot point to a single example at the top of my head of him not hustling, but I remember having that thought more than a few times.

Maybe! But DL is a business man first and for most. And if City or Chelski (who I forgot to list) want him, then I think they will get the defender. Defender being the poignant word. He ain't a match winner or creative genius. And a triple your money offer will see him else where in the EPL next season. And believe me, I want to be wrong!

COYS!!

DL took less on both Bale and Modric to send them abroad. The businessman angle is very overplayed, he isn't selling every player that rises in value. Instead, he is selling the players who are going on strike and forcing their way out. Even then he is selling them to the biggest club in the world in Real Madrid.

The last player sold to a PL rival was Berbatov and that was almost six years ago. Since then we've ascended to an entirely different level financially due to our continued success and the amount of money PL teams make. I can't ever see Levy selling to a player the club values to a PL rival unless there are very pronounced extenuating circumstances which there isn't in the case of Vertonghen.

Also the continued idea that we are a selling club is nonsense. Since 2008, the only players we've had to sell that the club didn't want to and that's Modric and Bale. They went to Real Madrid, even Manchester United couldn't hold onto Ronaldo when they came. So which clubs in the world aren't selling clubs? Basically just Barcelona, Real and Bayern?

We'll see this summer but the apocalyptic player exodus seems far fetched to me based on our recent history. If players do leave it seems extremely unlikely it would be to PL competitors.

Its almost 3.30am so forgive my mellon collie tiredness, but The Club. My Club, Our Club, is unlikely to become anymore than, what we have come to (truly) expect, season after season! THFC will continue to produce false dawns. And I will continue to support and love them regardless!

COYS!!

I think I got to the bottom of Jan's emotionless issues.

Jan-Vertonghen.jpg
dexter-morgan-dexter-150X150.jpg

I think it's clear that there's a big difference between last year's player and this year's player.

For whatever reason, he doesn't look happy. I think quite a few players came to play under AVB, and now aren't. The unfortunate truth is just that. Can't expect him to be happy, but would prefer him to act like he wants to get us into the CL. If someone said that the non-native players don't want to play the same for Sherwood, I wouldn't be surprised - but I'd expect them to still accept it's not likely to be forever and it's odds on that next season will be better.
Personally I'm getting sick of all the slating he's getting. He joined the club on the premise that the club wanted to be in the CL. He is, after all, a CL quality player. The club then brought in AVB to do this and sold him and the others a project that would hopefully bring that to fruition in short order. 20 months down the line and he finds himself working under a rookie, who he may well consider clueless, at a club with no direction, playing out of position and with a bunch of players who clearly aren't working well together.

I think there is a distinct chance that a sense of hopelessness has come over the player (and possibly his teammates) which is leading to his lack of effort and mistakes. Quite simply when anyone is in a job they aren't happy in their work will be of a lower standard than when they are either happy or have something to work towards.

Should he still play for the fans? In an ideal world this should always be the benchmark. But I am getting tired of Vertonghen being scapegoated for the mess the club is currently in - an environment that he has to operate in every day, as opposed to all the fans after his blood.

People should step back and consider the reason why he is under-performing before passing judgement, instead of immediately going for the jugular like this article does.

Last edited:
Personally I'm getting sick of all the slating he's getting. He joined the club on the premise that the club wanted to be in the CL. He is, after all, a CL quality player. The club then brought in AVB to do this and sold him and the others a project that would hopefully bring that to fruition in short order. 20 months down the line and he finds himself working under a rookie, who he may well consider clueless, at a club with no direction, playing out of position and with a bunch of players who clearly aren't working well together.

I think there is a distinct chance that a sense of hopelessness has come over the player (and possibly his teammates) which is leading to his lack of effort and mistakes. Quite simply when anyone is in a job they aren't happy in their work will be of a lower standard than when they are either happy or have something to work towards.

Should he still play for the fans? In an ideal world this should always be the benchmark. But I am getting tired of Vertonghen being scapegoated for the mess the club is currently in - an environment that he has to operate in every day, as opposed to all the fans after his blood.

People should step back and consider the reason why he is under-performing before passing judgement, instead of immediately going for the jugular like this article does.

I understand that completely, but recently he's given away a penalty, assisted Eto'o and there's the Dnipro incident (not the headbutt per se, but the walk down the tunnel straight away like he wasn't bothered we won).

No one doubts his quality, we're just used to seeing out CL quality players putting in a good shift until the end of the season at least. Or humouring us by pretending they're happy until the transfer window.

Last edited:
Yeah, funny that because the spine is the keeper, the center backs and the central/defensive midfielders. You named 0. Jan will be largely affected by the full backs of course, but the rest will have little impact on his play.

So you say weak left backs will be largely effective on Jan. Who is the spine? Jan IS the spine. And it's weakened by that and the fact his partners have chopped and changed was my point.

My previous quote:
"He's had a conveyer belt of defensive partners. Vlad, Daws, Kab etc. None of which are solid/fit. And he's had two managers this season. No wonder his form has been up and down."

All relevant to the spine which is never settled.

So you say weak left backs will be largely effective on Jan. Who is the spine? Jan IS the spine. And it's weakened by that and the fact his partners have chopped and changed was my point.

My previous quote:
"He's had a conveyer belt of defensive partners. Vlad, Daws, Kab etc. None of which are solid/fit. And he's had two managers this season. No wonder his form has been up and down."

All relevant to the spine which is never settled.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Jan, I'm disagreeing with you about calling several of our hardest working players pansies and pushovers.

Personally I'm getting sick of all the slating he's getting. He joined the club on the premise that the club wanted to be in the CL. He is, after all, a CL quality player. The club then brought in AVB to do this and sold him and the others a project that would hopefully bring that to fruition in short order. 20 months down the line and he finds himself working under a rookie, who he may well consider clueless, at a club with no direction,.

This statement is so right on the money. So many people wanting to slag so many of our top players for wanting to get out the club, where as the real issue that needs addressing is why so many players are so eager to get out. Well two issues really. Firstly, why are players not happy at Spurs in the first place and secondly, why, as a club, are we so unwilling to persuade them to stay.

This statement is so right on the money. So many people wanting to slag so many of our top players for wanting to get out the club, where as the real issue that needs addressing is why so many players are so eager to get out. Well two issues really. Firstly, why are players not happy at Spurs in the first place and secondly, why, as a club, are we so unwilling to persuade them to stay.
I wouldn't mind betting that Levy passes a great deal of the persuading onto the managerial staff and tells them it's their job.

I understand that completely, but recently he's given away a penalty, assisted Eto'o and there's the Dnipro incident (not the headbutt per se, but the walk down the tunnel straight away like he wasn't bothered we won).

No one doubts his quality, we're just used to seeing out CL quality players putting in a good shift until the end of the season at least. Or humouring us by pretending they're happy until the transfer window.
What if he actually does want a good end to the season? What if the turmoil at the club is what's getting him down? Would that be his fault?

I'm not disagreeing with you about Jan, I'm disagreeing with you about calling several of our hardest working players pansies and pushovers.

Why ignore us getting attacked down our flanks this season? Ripped apart with cross balls with Rose etc being targeted?

I want Eriksen and Erik to start every game. But there is no way I would have them anywhere near a 4 4 formation exposing our flanks. Its got so obvious where we are weak, Lennon looks more like a DM. Eriksen and Rose on the left? Hmmmmm not exactly a puzzle to suss out are we?

Why ignore soft spurs? Its made potential world class players look like newbs. Sandro, Jan, Walker and Kaboul all gifting goals because we are stretched and pressured constantly. They are then reason we are spinning our wheels. We can't score from corners etc etc.

Yeah, funny that because the spine is the keeper, the center backs and the central/defensive midfielders. You named 0. Jan will be largely affected by the full backs of course, but the rest will have little impact on his play.
i strongly disagree there, as a CB he is influenced by whatever anyone does on the pitch :

For his passing every position in front of him counts , long balls to forwards, CM/DM movement , L/R B movement and the infiltration of the wingers
To cover he needs to be aware of his central line and read the position switches between the players in front of him to be able to react faster and have the best position possible against a counter

And the he doesnt look happy thing , he doesnt indeed but thats just the way he looks - he has a very natural arrogance that has been strenghtened by playing in holland for a long time. He could do more and looks lacklustre and annoyed at times, something that bothers me 2. But if you look at our defensive movements you'll see that he needs to cover the asses of about everyone in front and around him - is that worth suking about, in our view no - maybe he isn't as driven as he could be and wants to be able to focus on his own positioning and games in stead of carrying a defence on his own.

He is gifted and a very good defender, just doesnt look like he gives his all or is happy doing what he does. The first part is an issue, the second part we dont know about , maybe he is happy and supports the team or maybe he just walks around sulking all day - either way we wouldnt know what goes on behind the doors of the dressing room, do we ?

lots of this is pure speculation based on the facial expression of a player ...

Why? I don't give a fuck why. The guys is making a shit ton of money, he should be motivated by that alone.

Now over here in Chicago we have a player that saw his teammate and super star go down with a second consecutive season ending injury and then our front office trade his best friend and long time teammate in an attempt to shed money and tank for a draft pick. Instead of sulking, he's putting up career numbers and put the team on his back. What I wouldn't give for a player like Joakim Noah on Tottenham.

I think it's clear that there's a big difference between last year's player and this year's player.

For whatever reason, he doesn't look happy. I think quite a few players came to play under AVB, and now aren't. The unfortunate truth is just that. Can't expect him to be happy, but would prefer him to act like he wants to get us into the CL. If someone said that the non-native players don't want to play the same for Sherwood, I wouldn't be surprised - but I'd expect them to still accept it's not likely to be forever and it's odds on that next season will be better.

This is Jan last season, I disagree that he has a "face like a slapped arse" in that celebration, the full clip shows more emotion, as per the rest.

Jan was a target long before AVB arrived, same with Hugo. #justsaying

What if he actually does want a good end to the season? What if the turmoil at the club is what's getting him down? Would that be his fault?

Not at all, but as we only have what we see to make a judgement, it hasn't looked great thus far.

By comparison, Lewis was treated like a spare part but has always shown appreciation and support for the team, even now, regardless of whether or not he wanted to leave.

What I mean is, it'd be nice to see a public show of support or mutual appreciation within the team, especially from the more prominent players.

Jan was a target long before AVB arrived, same with Hugo. #justsaying

I don't see how that is relevant to anything in my post? Mine was a generic statement outlining the possibility that the situation has changed dramatically for some of our signings.

Well he hasn't looked like one this season.

The sense of entitlement with some players is a joke. Try playing like you want it, instead of the Sunday League shite on Saturday.

He owes us a massive performance on Sunday.

Well he hasn't looked like one this season.

The sense of entitlement with some players is a joke. Try playing like you want it, instead of the Sunday League shite on Saturday.

He owes us a massive performance on Sunday.
hes not the only one if these guys do give a shit about 4th they need to start playing like they want it. i can take being beaten if it looks like the players have given their all but on the day been beaten by a better team thats football. But what i cant stand is the lacklustre performance of some of our players and stupid mistakes that i would expect a little league team making especially if they start making noise about looking elsewhere for CL football if spurs dont get it.

unfortunately do i think some of these players care? not really. They know they will be able to move clubs and eventually get what they want

hes not the only one if these guys do give a shit about 4th they need to start playing like they want it. i can take being beaten if it looks like the players have given their all but on the day been beaten by a better team thats football. But what i cant stand is the lacklustre performance of some of our players and stupid mistakes that i would expect a little league team making especially if they start making noise about looking elsewhere for CL football if spurs dont get it.

unfortunately do i think some of these players care? not really. They know they will be able to move clubs and eventually get what they want

I agree with this, they need to make sure they don't stand for bad reasons though (walking off straight after a win, looking unfazed after giving away a lead). Not saying that that isn't perhaps what he's like normally, but you sometimes have to put in a little extra to make a point, y'know?

Back
Top Bottom