Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Given all the usual factors., Harry is obv in his own bracket at the club , but for me Super Jan is without a doubt in that next tier below with the likes of Eriksen, Hugo and Deli (should he keep clocking up the seasons).

IMO keeping these guys happy is a way a more important use of our resources than any so-called statement signing we can plausibly expect to make this summer

#SpineMuthaFucker

This is what bodes to keep us ahead of Arse, Chavs and Pool (?) over the coming seasons....

Tbh, love him already, but is Lucas gonna truly change our world next season? Probably not... Is spunking north of £50m + wages on Zaha? I doubt that too.

...steps in quality for us are in increasingly small margins the better we get, but if your overall quality of personel starts to drop off thats a slippery as fuck slope to be on... Just ask the goons and Chavs.

As long as we maintain that core, spinal strength we are in a position to continue to make smart long-term signings; strategic replenishments to ultimately maintain that level (high grade youngsters like Sanchez) & shrewed deals like scooping up disenfranchised oil club players with something to prove (like Moura). In turn we can afford to let the innevitable, occasional KW leave for top dosh without it creating major impact on our performance levels on the field (and maybe even spend hard on a particular position if indeed the need does become aparent at any point.

(...That said, get that pen to paper, Toby - You know it makes sense.)

I'd vote Eriksen tbh. Jan more consistent but Eriksen has a harder job and literally runs the team.

It's a pleasingly tough decision this year... Both have delivered in spades. That's without giving a nod to another 30ish goal season from the bwoy Kane...

High praise for Sanchez deserved too. Quality and poise way beyond his years. What fuckin' pricetag???? ...Right, Dav!

Blinding work all round right there!:levywhoa::pochsmirk: + < #needsDavEmoji >

Still voted JV tho.:vert:

I am voting Marcus Edwards. Jan’s great, but for me he’s not got an afro nor is he Messi.

Only kidding. 100% agree it should be Jan.

“Look at Davinson, or Serge Aurier. Both have had a great season.”

Dav, absolutely.
Aurier, not so sure he’s been “great”
:vertna:
I think he has been more than OK. Offers more that Tripps, he's a better footballer, whilst he has given away a few pens, at least he's been close to the attacker to actually give them away. Specifically what I mean by that is Tripps has usually given up in covering the gap he has left behind him, stopped running and just let the oppo have an unopposed run on goal. He's not perfect by any means, he needs to stay on his feet sometimes but think back to Walkers challenge on Sterling season before this one, we are 2-0 down, sterling is 1v1 on keeper Walker doesn't given up the chase and pushes Sterling in the back, blatant pen, but he took the chance, put him off, it wasn't spotted and no pen given. Within 1 min we have scored, within 5 we are level and get a point from a game that we were totally out played in. Tripps would have, just as he has done, let Sterling run unopposed and score, game over. Aurier was there to make the attempt to block or get the challenge in, a couple he should have remained on his feet but others like against Madrid he had to make the tackle. As for foul throws at leas a third of all throws taken in a game are foul IMO and they are never given, no big deal, but oddly many seem to make a big deal out of it.

TDLR: Players that hide, never make themselves available are never near the ball or the tackle, they've bottled it. This is Trips, it's not Aurier.

Back
Top Bottom