Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was chatting with mates last year and one asked me take Kane out the equation you can build a statue of one player from the current/Poch era at ground, I said Jan without hesitation

Maybe it’s because I’m a defender, he has that attitude I like, I dunno, he’s just a prince

If he was injured why not just play Dav?

(Who should have retained his spot anyway imo)

I can understand why; but you're being somewhat charitable here......

He's struggled all season.....
I don’t think he started the game injured, but it is possible he was injured during the match. Maybe being charitable? Yes, probably.

I think he’s struggled more since the turn of the year, didn’t have any issues with him in the first half of the season, no more than anyone else anyway.

Is he one of the top 20 / 30 players to play for Spurs coupled with a trophy?

For example Dawson won a trophy but is he top 30? No, so not a legend. Hoddle won trophies at Tottenham and is a top 30 all time player. So, definitely a legend.

A lot of disagrees for this, legend is clearly subjective I suppose.

So a legend has to win trophies? Last I checked, 11+ players (and a manager) win a trophy, not a singular individual. If Bale were still here, playing at the level we was before he left, and we had no trophy, he wouldn't be a legend? That's ridiculous. That squad from 3 seasons ago was the best Spurs squad in 50 years, and no one that on it had won a trophy with Spurs. While I agree that since trophies are a group effort, it's possible that a squad so good could be without a legend, it's highly unlikely.

Said it many times, him and Alderweireld can't play together. They are too slow and can't cover each other.

The fact is, it was a ridiculous starting line up and it should have been changed far earlier than it was. But Jan is done, plain and simple. The commentary in that clip is typical, McBananaman (whoever came up with that, take a boo son...) it could have been anyone of three. No it couldn't, it had to be Jan because it was him Southampton were getting all their success through.

My problem with the situation is that for me, when Jan and Toby are playing, the line is too high up the pitch. They've both aged, gotten slower over time (age will do that to a man), but there have been no adjustments made to the high line. For me, when they have a chance to set up in the box before the attack arrives, they are as good as ever. It's getting beat on the counter that is the biggest problem for them. Move the line back, and try it out. I think you'd see that they are as effective together as always.

My problem with the situation is that for me, when Jan and Toby are playing, the line is too high up the pitch. They've both aged, gotten slower over time (age will do that to a man), but there have been no adjustments made to the high line. For me, when they have a chance to set up in the box before the attack arrives, they are as good as ever. It's getting beat on the counter that is the biggest problem for them. Move the line back, and try it out. I think you'd see that they are as effective together as always.
But then a deeper defence alters the entire style of play, pulls midfield deeper, leaves players isolated. Both of them are woeful when squaring up to their man, Toby especially has been beaten repeatedly by players squaring him up then moving the ball to the side of him.

Jan has been struggling all season and playing them together means someone with pace (say Gnabry...) will rape them.

Why try and force something to work when it's possible for something entirely different to work far batter.

Add to that a good DM. Neither of them were ever blessed with dynamic pace. But in bygone times we had a competent defensive middle of the pitch

I know it's different, but I like the NRL way of doing things. In all the years of the sport they have 13 "Immortals", the best players to play the game. Up to 2011 they only had 7. Yes it will expand rapidly with players such as Lockyer, Thurston and Smith all being added soon. But in all the years of the sport they have 13 players as legends. That's how football should be. Instead someone who had 100 games and never stood out is considered a legend at some clubs.

Jan deserves to be considered unquestionably, but could you put him in the top 15 or 20 players of all time. That to me is what a legend is.
Ability alone doesn’t male you a legend. Modric and Bale were both some of the best players I’ve ever seen play for us, but I’d never call them legends

It wasn't really all that long ago that Jan was regularly branded as not really being invested in the club, looked bored and was unmotivated. I agreed at times and said the same things about him.

It's amazing to remember that being the case for a while, especially considering the comments since yesterday.

Jan can be very sad and frustrated in the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is calm and in relatively good spirits today, let alone one week from now.

Love the guy , He deserves to lift something , (And I'm not talking about Eriksen's missus by the legs either I was thinking more cup shaped ).
He is Spurs through and through .

Back
Top Bottom