January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

any spurs fans turning their noses up at a player because of a bad knee should be ashamed of themselves

:ledley:
Mr. King was probably the best CB in the world by a good stretch when fit, a bad knee is nothing compared to that. Ba on the other hand is not world class, he's good, but far from world class.

Watching the Woolwich vs Newcastle game and Demba Ba is a monster. Anybody else think that we should find out if the fabled 7.5 million pound release clause in his contract is more than a myth? He would be a steal!

I've been thinking this for days now. Where else can you get a quality striker for that price. Especially in a world where Steven Fletcher is 12m.

I'd gamble on and Ba and his knees for 7m. Wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

Mr. King was probably the best CB in the world by a good stretch when fit, a bad knee is nothing compared to that. Ba on the other hand is not world class, he's good, but far from world class.
Blimey, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ledley King was a fantastic defender when fit, but no way on earth was he 'the best CB in the world by a good stretch'

Don't take the piss out of Fletcher The Goal Machine. £12m was a steal.

Steven%20Fletcher_633868034127576250.jpg
: ostrich:

Anyone else think they look a bit alike?

The best in the world? No chance.
For sure, but in hell would freeze over before I think of him as far and away the best centre-back on the planet (at the time).
Considering Henry, one of the best strikers if not the best in the world for many years, sad to say he was but it's true, has said he's the only defender to EVER stop him without doing anything cheeky (shirt pulling, nudges etc etc)

Considering Henry, one of the best strikers if not the best in the world for many years, sad to say he was but it's true, has said he's the only defender to EVER stop him without doing anything cheeky (shirt pulling, nudges etc etc)
Yeah that was awesome, he was a very clean defender for sure.

Oh bloody hell can we stop talking about Ledley? It's making me all sad haha :(

Di Santos 8m for me perfect
Di Santo? Really? He's not even the best striker on lowly Wigan. Kone has earned that title easily. He would rot on our bench.

Edit: According to whoscored.com, here are Di Santo's weaknesses.
- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Finishing
Weak
Lack of finishing is exactly what we don't need.

course he was amicable then!.. he was demba "who" & his career was on the line.
i'd love for him to come to us ...but i'm realistic & not trying to convince myself a punt of upwards of £10 mil
of limited transfer funds for an uninsurable player is in the best interest of any at the club from the chairman to the once a season punter!

Realism, facts.

- Demba Ba has allegedly a bum knee that will render him un playable and so insurance wont such him.

- In two years of premiership football this hasnt bothered him at all.

2010/11 - Hoffenheim - 17 Starts (2 sub), 9 Goals, 2 Assists
2010/11 - West Ham - 10 Prem Starts (2), 7 Goals (+1 Cup game)

2011/12 - Newcastle - 32 Prem Starts (2), 16 Goals, 2 Assists (+2 Cup appearances)

2012/13 - Newcastle - 18 Prem Starts (1), 11 Goals (+1 Cup and 3 Senegal games)

IMO Ba has proven himself to be an excellent striker and would offer us significant improvement to our squad. With Defoe and Adebayor Ba will not have such a volume of games to contend with but would be priceless at times when either isnt available.

- Ba is available for £7.5m. Some will feel that is a lot of money to take a chance on.
Here are some similarly (or higher) priced players with have taken that chance on, with insurance, that didnt pay dividends at all.

David Bentley - £17m. We will be lucky to see £2-3m in return, not to mention the wages he cost. Total loss.

Kyle Naughton - £6m. Ill admit he is doing ok, but its a lot for what was a punt on a rookie player

Scott Parker - £5m. 30 years old with a full career of being an injury prone player.

Bassong - £8m. Rokkie defender gave us one decent season then was off, for nothing like £8m I would wager

Dos Santos £4m - Worth every penny...

Hutton £9m - Need I go on?

I fully appreciate £7.5m (release clause, set figure) is a lot of money to gamble, but I believe we have gambled similar sums regularly and without return. We need a striker. Strikers of Ba's quality cost a hell of a lot more (Pavlyuchenko, not as good as Ba, £14m) and I believe Ba would flourish in our team.

Realism, IMO, says take a chance.

Realism, facts.

- Demba Ba has allegedly a bum knee that will render him un playable and so insurance wont such him.

- In two years of premiership football this hasnt bothered him at all.

2010/11 - Hoffenheim - 17 Starts (2 sub), 9 Goals, 2 Assists
2010/11 - West Ham - 10 Prem Starts (2), 7 Goals (+1 Cup game)

2011/12 - Newcastle - 32 Prem Starts (2), 16 Goals, 2 Assists (+2 Cup appearances)

2012/13 - Newcastle - 18 Prem Starts (1), 11 Goals (+1 Cup and 3 Senegal games)

IMO Ba has proven himself to be an excellent striker and would offer us significant improvement to our squad. With Defoe and Adebayor Ba will not have such a volume of games to contend with but would be priceless at times when either isnt available.

- Ba is available for £7.5m. Some will feel that is a lot of money to take a chance on.
Here are some similarly (or higher) priced players with have taken that chance on, with insurance, that didnt pay dividends at all.

David Bentley - £17m. We will be lucky to see £2-3m in return, not to mention the wages he cost. Total loss.

Kyle Naughton - £6m. Ill admit he is doing ok, but its a lot for what was a punt on a rookie player

Scott Parker - £5m. 30 years old with a full career of being an injury prone player.

Bassong - £8m. Rokkie defender gave us one decent season then was off, for nothing like £8m I would wager

Dos Santos £4m - Worth every penny...

Hutton £9m - Need I go on?

I fully appreciate £7.5m (release clause, set figure) is a lot of money to gamble, but I believe we have gambled similar sums regularly and without return. We need a striker. Strikers of Ba's quality cost a hell of a lot more (Pavlyuchenko, not as good as Ba, £14m) and I believe Ba would flourish in our team.

Realism, IMO, says take a chance.

ok! ok!... i surrender for fucks sake!!.. no need to drag up a who's who of failures to make the point that
you've got a hard on for ba!!
didn't i say in my last post i'd love him at spurs!!!!

the realism is he wont pass a medical so we're talking shite about him playing for us.

Back
Top Bottom