January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need another striker. End of story.
If we get through this window without one than I'm afraid that is hugely negligent on the part of the club and tarnishes all the other great work going on there
How many more times. What striker would we sign then. We are Spurs not Real Madrid, Bara or even Man City. Not a club big enough, or in case of City with enough money, to get every player we want, when we ask.
So, it will be ok if we sign some unheard of striker who has managed a handful of goals each season in every top league he's played in?
I can imagine if we had signed Igalho at the beginning of last season. Oh the outcry. I am surprised nobody mentioned him as a target this summer seeing as he then started banging them in for Watford in the championship.
Oh, but as with Gestede, he was a championship striker, and not good enough for Spurs.
Now it's Igahlo fever - as he's done it in the prem - and some are as arrogant to think that if we, the mighty spurs, show interest he will come and watford will obsequiously sell him to us.
Clubs have to want to sell as well as the player want to come. And to prise the top strikers from clubs, especially in January, you have to make the club an offer they cannot refuse and usually the club will have another option.

I for one minute do not think we are not trying. I also think that we will not just buy a striker for the sake of buying a striker if we cannot get the prime targets.
We had 3 strikers at one stage and only one of them was putting them in the net. The one that everyone had written of long long ago, when he was 18.

So, would it placate everyone if we signed any striker?
We'd even have a hard time getting Burnley to sell Andre Gray or Hull Abel Hernandez ( who may be the next Ighalo's if they make promotion) but maybe Ross Mc Cormick.
I wonder how our fans base would react if we were linked to those top scoring Championship strikers

14 million is a good price for Andros. He's a Spurs boy and although it wouldn't work out in the end, I wish him the best there. Good luck yiddo!

Watched Toulouse v PSG last night on Bt Europe. Thought Toulouses played ok and PSG were very fortunate and didn't have it all their own way. Old Benji was playing. Only did a couple of decent things but not much else. Disappointing imo.
Yedder hit the bar and caused them quite a lot of trouble. I was quite impressed with him. Looks like a holtby in build & stature, always moving about like him.
Braithwaite stood out too.

It is such a different league it's hard to judge. Much more time/space on the ball and a bit slower. They don't play like us Toulouse
Now I read this morning on here that we are linked with Yedder.

How many more times. What striker would we sign then. We are Spurs not Real Madrid, Bara or even Man City. Not a club big enough, or in case of City with enough money, to get every player we want, when we ask.
So, it will be ok if we sign some unheard of striker who has managed a handful of goals each season in every top league he's played in?
I can imagine if we had signed Igalho at the beginning of last season. Oh the outcry. I am surprised nobody mentioned him as a target this summer seeing as he then started banging them in for Watford in the championship.
Oh, but as with Gestede, he was a championship striker, and not good enough for Spurs.
Now it's Igahlo fever - as he's done it in the prem - and some are as arrogant to think that if we, the mighty spurs, show interest he will come and watford will obsequiously sell him to us.
Clubs have to want to sell as well as the player want to come. And to prise the top strikers from clubs, especially in January, you have to make the club an offer they cannot refuse and usually the club will have another option.

I for one minute do not think we are not trying. I also think that we will not just buy a striker for the sake of buying a striker if we cannot get the prime targets.
We had 3 strikers at one stage and only one of them was putting them in the net. The one that everyone had written of long long ago, when he was 18.

So, would it placate everyone if we signed any striker?
We'd even have a hard time getting Burnley to sell Andre Gray or Hull Abel Hernandez ( who may be the next Ighalo's if they make promotion) but maybe Ross Mc Cormick.
I wonder how our fans base would react if we were linked to those top scoring Championship strikers

As I said. I'd be happy with any player the manager decides to bring in. Don't care how old or from which league. I am always supportive of the club and as much as an optimist as a Spurs fan can be. But im sorry, it's just not right that we have one, I'll say again, ONE! First team striker available. I'm not saying burn levy at the stake or poch out. But when even a shit club like Newcastle can bring on two forwards to effect the play, you start to question things. We don't need a world beater. We need an athletic, able footballer who knows how to hit the target. Sometimes you can wait too long for the perfect player and then suddenly Kane is injured, or teams have worked us out and we have no other option to play up with him.

In an ideal world we'd actually have some coming up through the academy, but it's clear coulthirst isn't up to it and I'm not sure if there's anyone else decent behind him.

Newcastle are looking to get another striker in this window....Does this pave way for Perez to come our way. Wouldn’t be a bad option to cover Kane.

As I said. I'd be happy with any player the manager decides to bring in. Don't care how old or from which league. I am always supportive of the club and as much as an optimist as a Spurs fan can be. But im sorry, it's just not right that we have one, I'll say again, ONE! First team striker available. I'm not saying burn levy at the stake or poch out. But when even a shit club like Newcastle can bring on two forwards to effect the play, you start to question things. We don't need a world beater. We need an athletic, able footballer who knows how to hit the target. Sometimes you can wait too long for the perfect player and then suddenly Kane is injured, or teams have worked us out and we have no other option to play up with him.

In an ideal world we'd actually have some coming up through the academy, but it's clear coulthirst isn't up to it and I'm not sure if there's anyone else decent behind him.

Next few players behind Coulthirst seem to be Harrison, Loft and Sterling. Harrison will be 19 in the summer, Loft 19 in September and Sterling 18 in November. Harrison has been given a pro-contract after scoring quite a bit the last year, but the jury is still out on all three.

Attacking midfield is a more promising position with Edwards, Bennets, Shashoua etc showing great promise.

Don't think we've been linked with him recently, but you never know
It was very out of the blue (and we've been linked and been known to scout Ligue 1) - so I imagine there was some sort of interest there. Lille are really really poor so we could quite easily get a deal done. I do like that type of player though.

It was very out of the blue (and we've been linked and been known to scout Ligue 1) - so I imagine there was some sort of interest there. Lille are really really poor so we could quite easily get a deal done. I do like that type of player though.
I read somewhere that he's either off to PSG or Lyon

I don't understand is Perez a striker, is Goufran a striker or Cisse? Rivera is the only other player you could class as a striker with Mitorovic but he's more of an attacking mid right sided. The others are forwards/AM's.
They play 4321. How many goals has Rivera scored when called on?
If Mitrovic was injured they'd play rivera up front as the lone man then? If not would Perez, Cisse, Goufran be the lone striker who could be the target man/hold the ball up?
It's the same as us playing Son, Njie or Chadli up front alongside Kane and one of them up front on their own if he's not.
What we need is a forward/AM/ who puts them away & who can play in another position along the front. That may start happening with the ones we have. We could buy another.
Chadli did just as well as Perez goalscoring wise last season. So did Eriksen.
The other lot, Mitrovic, Rivera, Cisse and Gouffran have scored 6 goals between them this season.

Edit: Wijnadium is also an attacking midfielder.

I'd be more happy if we had more goals/better finishing from our AM/F/midfield players tbh.

Last edited:
The whole Lacazette hype is starting to die out and Newcastle are looking to sign him, the guy has pace in abundance, knows how to score goals and can play on the wing which seems to be an attribute that poch is looking for, can either play up top on his own or along side, running off of Kane, wouldn't mind him at all for the £20-25million that's being thrown about, especially if we get £14million for Townsend

Odowa has returned from his loan at Rangers. I'd love to see him given a go in a couple of games as a sub. He looked really exciting and promising at Rangers this year.

The whole Lacazette hype is starting to die out and Newcastle are looking to sign him, the guy has pace in abundance, knows how to score goals and can play on the wing which seems to be an attribute that poch is looking for, can either play up top on his own or along side, running off of Kane, wouldn't mind him at all for the £20-25million that's being thrown about, especially if we get £14million for Townsend

I swear if Newcastle get him and we don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom