January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The plot thickens ha.
I guess ibra has probably 2 seasons left where he can still cut it at united?
So it would make sense for them to sign another top striker in the next year or 2.

Maybe.

Part of me is just a bit saddened by this 'new' shit version of United that has completely lost the Ferguson legacy already. They just don't make their own any more.

Maybe.

Part of me is just a bit saddened by this 'new' shit version of United that has completely lost the Ferguson legacy already. They just don't make their own any more.
That was the only thing I liked about them!
Mourinho will be another backwards step on that front.

Just read that Lazy 11 post about Adebayor.

"Emanuel Adebayor: Only played with him for 6 months but a quick story. I played for Fulham and he played for spurs. We were attacking and I was marking Adebayor in the midfield, suddenly he says "ahhh, I'm hungry". I replied "what?". "I can't wait for the game to finish, I'm so hungry. Do you know a good restaurant in London Hangeland?". Later when he came to Palace I started to realized where this came from. When we had strength workouts he would sit in the gym with just a cup of coffee and a muffin. He was being paid by City, Tottenham and Palace at the same time, and he was sitting in the gym drinking coffee. Incredible natural talent, very lazy."

Thank fuck we don't have this cunt with us anymore.

Maybe.

Completely agree pal; Ed Woodward is great commercially, but he's lost track of the principles that were the foundation of the Ferguson dynasty, and that's why they're nothing more than the most marketable Europa League team in history. Buy the best British talent and take them to the next level and develop youth, be it acquired or promote internally - that's what made them different.

The Pogba circus wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club by Fegie, he'd have signed Kante instead. They're getting giddy about Griezmann, and apparently that's already agreed (with Adidas looking to secure the player to their stable and merge him with one of their flagship clubs)

Mourinho just isn't a United manager, and that's why Ferguson recomended Moyes instead in 2013; he's doing to Martial and Shaw what he did to Lukaku and KDB at Chelsea, and I'm confident both will go on to fulfil their immense potential elsewhere if Jose's allowed to bully them out of the club. Rashford and Fosu-Mensah have suffered under him as well. Ultimately, it'd be easier for United to replace Jose than lose this raft of uber-talents who the antichrist of Youth development just can't integrate properly. In hindsight Chelsea could (and almost certainly would have preferred to) have had De Bruyne, Lukaku and even Ryan Bertrand in their squad now, all sacrificed for the Short-term One.

Imagine the aforementioned United kids under Fergie or Pocchettino? They'd flourish. That's what great coaches do; Simeone has done it at Atletico too with Saul and Koke ect.

United have just sold Sean Goss to QPR, never given a first team chance despite being the ideal vice-Carrick, a very Thiago Motta-esque metronomic midfielder who was close to debut under LVG until he got injured last year. Fergie would have integrated him, but Mourinho prefers the brutal Fellaini in central midfield instead; United just aren't that club anymore, hence the sporting fall from grace.

Luckily, Pocchettino is well on the way to emulating Ferguson's work by building a dynasty on the platform of young British talent; English football needs it.

Completely agree pal; Ed Woodward is great commercially, but he's lost track of the principles that were the foundation of the Ferguson dynasty, and that's why they're nothing more than the most marketable Europa League team in history. Buy the best British talent and take them to the next level and develop youth, be it acquired or promote internally - that's what made them different.

The Pogba circus wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club by Fegie, he'd have signed Kante instead. They're getting giddy about Griezmann, and apparently that's already agreed (with Adidas looking to secure the player to their stable and merge him with one of their flagship clubs)

Mourinho just isn't a United manager, and that's why Ferguson recomended Moyes instead in 2013; he's doing to Martial and Shaw what he did to Lukaku and KDB at Chelsea, and I'm confident both will go on to fulfil their immense potential elsewhere if Jose's allowed to bully them out of the club. Rashford and Fosu-Mensah have suffered under him as well. Ultimately, it'd be easier for United to replace Jose than lose this raft of uber-talents who the antichrist of Youth development just can't integrate properly. In hindsight Chelsea could (and almost certainly would have preferred to) have had De Bruyne, Lukaku and even Ryan Bertrand in their squad now, all sacrificed for the Short-term One.

Imagine the aforementioned United kids under Fergie or Pocchettino? They'd flourish. That's what great coaches do; Simeone has done it at Atletico too with Saul and Koke ect.

United have just sold Sean Goss to QPR, never given a first team chance despite being the ideal vice-Carrick, a very Thiago Motta-esque metronomic midfielder who was close to debut under LVG until he got injured last year. Fergie would have integrated him, but Mourinho prefers the brutal Fellaini in central midfield instead; United just aren't that club anymore, hence the sporting fall from grace.

Luckily, Pocchettino is well on the way to emulating Ferguson's work by building a dynasty on the platform of young British talent; English football needs it.

A really good post. Are you a Spurs fan living in Manchester or a United fan who just appreciates talking about the game with other well informed football fans?

Unfortunately Football is a money game now and hence is not necessarily won on the pitch, but, as you say, on the cover of the latest Fifa game.

I say long may Utd's stagnation continue, they owe masses of money so are committed to their continuing cycle of prioritising commercial success over actual football. The minute they do decide to get their act together and go back to building from within then who do you think will be the perfect manager for them?

Pogba is the modern day footballer star, does nothing for 4-5 games in the middle of the park, gets a deflected goal or something and that a £90 million player. United are lucky they have Carrick and Herrera who are good at controlling a midfield, it hides most of Pogba's weaknesses and allows him to claim the glory when he get a goal.

Mourinho is great at tactics (in a boring way) but it ain't a developer, United would be better of long term with a developer manager, United have the funds, I think a lot of the issues with united is that they did so well under Fergie they have panicked and throw money at all the issues without thinking about a strategy of what they want to be.

Your right Fergie would have bought Kante over Pogba.

Last edited:
Pogba is the modern day footballer star, does nothing for 4-5 games in the middle of the park, gets a deflected goal or something and that a £90 million player. United are lucky they have Carrick and Herrera who are good at controlling a midfield, it hides most of Pogba's weaknesses and allows him to claim the glory when he get a goal.

Mourinho is great at tactics (in a boring way) but it ain't a developer, United would be better of long term with a developer manager, United have the funds, I think a lot of the issues with united is that they did so well under Fergie they have panicked and throw money at all the issues without thinking about a strategy of what they want to be.

You right Fergie would have bought Kante over Pogba.

Shut up.

:pochserious:

You right Fergie would have bought Kante over Pogba.

Yeah man stop giving the game away, Levy may come to your house and give it the Archway Steel treatment!

race_together_1_43.jpg

So frustrating that United would never want to sell any of those young players to us (understandably so, of course). Mourinho will let them stagnate whereas Poch would work miracles with Rashford and Fosu-Mensah.

Sunderland obviously preparing for life in the Championship selling their second best player to Palace. Mind you £14 million isn't too shabby for Van Aanholt.

Oh wow, and right before we play them.

That's... actually pretty handy. Still need to avoid the possible banana skin though.

Your right Fergie would have bought Kante over Pogba.

Replacing Carrick is the greatest challenge they have in the short term.

They've tried and failed repeatedly

Still rumours of bruma floating around.
But can't see us signing another winger when george barely gets a kick.

€15m Tottenham offer sees player's head turned, row with manager, club fine - Sport Witness
You've also got to wonder if we really want a player who behaves like that in a January transfer window when there are rumours of a move. Though in fairness, I'd also want out of Turkey right now...

I'll trust jimmyriggle jimmyriggle 's scouting report that Gorgeous GK will be the second coming of Christ. He's got to be starting tomorrow, surely?

I know it's 99.9% unlikely, but if Martial does become available, we should be doing everything to get him.

He could be unreal under Pochettino, either off the left or up front. He's wasted at Utd, as is Rashford.

Sunderland obviously preparing for life in the Championship selling their second best player to Palace. Mind you £14 million isn't too shabby for Van Aanholt.

I actually find this remarkable from Sunderland. He's one of their more potent (relatively) attacking threats (albeit from LB).
Can't believe they've given up when there's 5 teams plus Leicester and potentially Burnley even still in the relegation mix

I think this is a good post but one that sees a past that would be nigh on impossible to replicate today.

Ferguson was an extraordinary manager but he was also blessed with an astonishing group of players, especially if you include the hardly inexpensive Ronaldo.

I am not a fan of Mourinho the person but as a manager he is second to none and he will aim to get a winning mentality instilled in that relatively new group of players.

Should he go on to win the League Cup he starts being a winner straightaway and once again.

This nonsense of style over pragmatism is entirely forned by an envy of sorts.

Has we won the title last season with a succession of 1 nil victories I doubt we would be bemoaning the departure from our so termed traditional way of playing.

Last edited:
I know it's 99.9% unlikely, but if Martial does become available, we should be doing everything to get him.

He could be unreal under Pochettino, either off the left or up front. He's wasted at Utd, as is Rashford.

Want Rashford, not Martial.

Perfect age, mentality etc for Poch. Seems like a nice humble lad.

...Whereas, although young, I'm not so sure about Martial (esp. after considering what he'd cost and the wages he's no doubt on).

I'd happily spend big (for us) money on snatching Rashford tho...

Last edited:
Want Rashford, not Martial.

Perfect age, mentality etc for Poch. Seems like a nice humble lad.

...Whereas, although young, I'm not so sure about Martial (esp. after considering what he'd cost and the wages he's no doubt on).

I'd happily spend big (for us) money on snatching Rashford tho...
I doubt Jose would sanction either TBH... Although, by doing so, it would confirm that he finally sees us as rivals I imagine, and we couldn't have that could we?! Maybe he'll do it out of spite, in an effort to belittle us!!

Back
Top Bottom