January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As reliable as opening up the Arc and finding a little note from god himself inside....

Not very.

30-and-then-God-said-to-Abraham-funny-meme.jpg

EXACTLY!
It wasn't impossible, it was a choice. Airfixx was talking bollocks again.

We chose not to sign anyone because unlike other big clubs, unlike other champions league clubs, unlike other wealthy clubs, we operate in a way that doesn't allow us to pay the fees or wages on a player that will improve the squad.

Thank you sir.

The football team on the pitch is quite a long way down our list of priorities , it seems.

Circumstances didn’t present themselves last summer window, that’s not the indicative of a general “way of operating”, that’s a unique example that is the exception to how we have operated for every other window.

Normally we do pay fees and wages, within our fiscal parameters (like any well run, self sustaining, FFP complying football club).

It’s one of the ways we have improved as a football team over the last few years.

EXACTLY!
It wasn't impossible, it was a choice. Airfixx was talking bollocks again.

We chose not to sign anyone because unlike other big clubs, unlike other champions league clubs, unlike other wealthy clubs, we operate in a way that doesn't allow us to pay the fees or wages on a player that will improve the squad.

Thank you sir.

The football team on the pitch is quite a long way down our list of priorities , it seems.

[Lifted my lid and see you're misquoting me.]

I have not used the word "impossible".

Based on practical and self-imposed parameters we chose not to buy X or Y.

Better?

[Lid back on... Have fun.]

Not reading back, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

What is Leandro Damiao and Saido Berahino up to these days? Bet both are cheap options and would now love to join us.... :levyeyes:

Oh god do you remember Berahino... 3 goals in 50 games for Stoke - in the championship :pochshock:

Can't believe West Brom turned down £25m

A great example of how potential can turn to nothing in no time at all. £25m it just goes to show Pochettino took punts in the past that weren't worthwhile.

Berahino, Aurier, Janssen, jury is still somewhat out on Lucas, £90m worth of players right there if all had come off

A great example of how potential can turn to nothing in no time at all. £25m it just goes to show Pochettino took punts in the past that weren't worthwhile.

Berahino, Aurier, Janssen, jury is still somewhat out on Lucas, £90m worth of players right there if all had come off
Hot take but coming to Tottenham would have probably changed his career path for the better. I do take your point though - Janssen, N'Koudou etc. have been absolute money down the drain

Not clear what ya point is dude...

Some players bomb, some don't; you think Poch is a bit shit in the market?

(I don't think it's central to your point, but if those players had been or become a bonafide hit they'd be worth more than what we paid by now.)

...Funny though, my list woulda probably included GKN & N'Jie ahead of Serge & Lucas.

Not clear what ya point is dude...

Some players bomb, some don't; you think Poch is a bit shit in the market?

(I don't think it's central to your point, but if those players had been or become a bonafide hit they'd be worth more than what we paid by now.)

I suppose the point is when people say just pay the money the value of the player does play a huge role in determining if we should go the extra mile or not.

Looking back on Pochettinos signings I'd say he's got it right as often as he's hit a dud but the model we have leaves us with less risk involved should one fall flat.

I'd love to see us sign players but finding the right one is so vital o the team. I love that Pochettino is picky these days but a large investment doesn't mean we'll achieve the growth expected to push on like we hope.

Berahino has to be the biggest bullet dodged and there have been some bullets down the years.

A quick change of subject, I've just checked out transfer dealings over the last 10 years. The last 10 seasons has seen the following:

Supposed money spent: £500.18m

Supposed money received: £499.21m

Ten years of breaking even in the market. It makes the money we received for Dembele become even more vital for future signings should that trend continue which I believe it will over the short term

Last edited:
I suppose the point is when people say just pay the money the value of the player does play a huge role in determining if we should go the extra mile or not.

Looking back on Pochettinos signings I'd say he's got it right as often as he's hit a dud but the model we have leaves us with less risk involved should one fall flat.

I'd love to see us sign players but finding the right one is so vital o the team. I love that Pochettino is picky these days but a large investment doesn't mean we'll achieve the growth expected to push on like we hope.

Berahino has to be the biggest bullet dodged and there have been some bullets down the years.

A quick change of subject, I've just checked out transfer dealings over the last 10 years. The last 10 seasons has seen the following:

Supposed money spent: £500.18m

Supposed money received: £499.21m

Ten years of breaking even in the market. It makes the money we received for Dembele become even more vital for future signings should that trend continue which I believe it will over the short term
Er over the long term the stadium once up and running will change nothing of levys MO.

It won’t change in terms of him being reckless and putting Sky’s window in front of the club’s financial security, but it will generate more money so the club can spend more, and still remain within its parameters.
It's not about being reckless though there is this perceived impression that the club shouldn't spend too much "in case it does a leeds" but that simply isn't going to happen.
What many of us hope for is the shackles to come off a bit and push the boat out once in a while, being in business is about taking risks albeit calculated ones but our club is risk adverse that's part of the problem in why we struggle to get deal's over the line if at all.

It's not about being reckless though there is this perceived impression that the club shouldn't spend too much "in case it does a leeds" but that simply isn't going to happen.
What many of us hope for is the shackles to come off a bit and push the boat out once in a while, being in business is about taking risks albeit calculated ones but our club is risk adverse that's part of the problem in why we struggle to get deal's over the line if at all.

No the conception is that people are scared of doing a Leeds when nobody is.
Some people just accept that they have no actual knowledge whatsoever of what the financial department have earmarked as safe spending and accept that the club is doing amazingly in terms of ITS financial targets.

Would you sit there and tell the board of Starbucks what their outlay is?
No, why?

Do you generally think you would not be utterly destroyed in a one on one argument with Daniel frikkin Levy on the clubs spending?

Really? Would you even want to take it up with him?
Or is all this angst just people who know nothing, having very detailed opinions...

I know little either, and want a forward....but my basic calculations are, we got 11M for Dembele, use it.

But how many are really happy with an 11M valued CM or striker?
People want 70M players (that has been said on numerous occasions).....yet just assume we can do that and throw hissy fits when we don’t.

Joe Lewis and Levy’s wages are not the issue.
Do people think other chairmen take pay cuts to fund signings? It’s just absurd.

They simply have debt that we don’t.

Last edited:
No the conception is that people are scared of doing a Leeds when nobody is.
Some people just accept that they have no actual knowledge whatsoever of what the financial department have earmarked as safe spending and accept that the club is doing amazingly in terms of ITS financial targets.

Would you sit there and tell the board of Starbucks what their outlay is?
No, why?

Do you generally think you would not utterly destroyed in a one on one argument with Daniel frikkin Levy on the clubs spending?

Really? Would you even want to take it up with him?
Or is all this angst just people who know nothing, having very detailed opinions...

I know little either, and you want a forward....but my basic calculations are, we got 11M for Dembele, use it.

But how many are really happy with an 11M valued CM or striker?
People want 70M players (that has been said on numerous occasions).....yet just assume we can do that and throw hissy fits when we don’t.

Joe Lewis and Levy’s wages are not the issue.
Do people think other chairmen take pay cuts to fund signings? It’s just absurd.

They simply have debt that we don’t.
I need to address two things
1- what the fuck was all that about.
2- what was your actual point .

Back
Top Bottom