January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
c1cQEj7.jpg

I disagree. I don't think enic/Levy would care about upsetting the fans by selling key players. They have done so many times over the years. They are very single minded.

Spurs built the squad up from a very poor squad they inherited by player trading.

But the number of players sold for top dollar (and player at peak) to be reinvested has diminished markedly in recent years. So before Walker, I'd suggest Bale about 8 years ago was the last player sold for maximum £'s

So whether you think Levy has stopped doing it to avoid a fan backlash or for some other reason, the fact is there have been very few players sold at peak career (and £'s) in recent years.

People get mad at Levy for waiting until we have a huge need somewhere to buy. Then turn around and yell when he signs a guy like Bergwijn for good value.
Well, yeah. Now the squad actually has 'needs' to be addressed and one would expect those to take priority. Addressing 'wants' is great but not at the expense of 'needs'. If he does both then great but you would hope that this is the course of events at all times.

Last thing I’ll say to the crowded that is mad we haven’t signed a DM.

That is a glaring hole because we didn’t make moves like Gedson and Bergwijn in the past. We had zero depth across the board. The signings we’re making now will hopefully help avoid getting into a position of having a severe need like we’re experiencing now. And it will also help avoid having to hang on to players forever instead of selling at full value when they ask to leave. We operated so poorly in the windows for a few years and this year we are feeling it.

Thankfully it appears Levy has learned from it and is operating differently.

Spurs built the squad up from a very poor squad they inherited by player trading.

But the number of players sold for top dollar (and player at peak) to be reinvested has diminished markedly in recent years. So before Walker, I'd suggest Bale about 8 years ago was the last player sold for maximum £'s

So whether you think Levy has stopped doing it to avoid a fan backlash or for some other reason, the fact is there have been very few players sold at peak career (and £'s) in recent years.
Yeah I don't think he is scared of a fan backlash at all. Which key player has wanted to go recently & who we have had a big bid for, but levy said no to? I was making a case for Eriksen but many have said no wanted him or he didnt want to go to the teams who did.

Last edited:
Lo celso perm deal is step one of 3
I expect Bergwijn to be step 2 tonight or tomorrow then
Step 3 - Piatek on Friday cause of course

But you realise they aren't slaves, and in both cases we were very reluctant to sell them? Walker was pushing transfer as well.
I never argued any of that. I was debating with someone else that ENIC aren't scared to sell key players because of a fans backlash. You forgot any key players we sold, so asked me. I told you some. Now you are arguing you can't keep players that are desperate to leave. Different thing all together. Back to the original point, So now you agree ENIC have sold key players & weren't scared of a fans backlash?

GK - Lloris, Gazza, Vorm
DF - Rose, Davies, Toby, Jan, Sanchez, Tanganga, Aurier, Cirkin
MF - Winks, Gedson, Dier, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Skipp
FWD - Son, Lamela, Dele, Bergwjin, Sess, Lucas
ST - Kane, Piatek, Parrott

Would be a very good January, although without really improving us how we'd like.

Rose, Vertonghen and Dier hopefully to be gone in the summer, so still major work to do then. Don't think Dele will suit our 4-3-3 evolution either.

LB and DM a priority in the summer with possibly a GK and RB. ST if we don't manage to get Piatek over the line.

Like to see 2020-21 start like...

---------------------New GK-------------------------
Aurier----Tanganga---Alderweireld----New LB
---------------------New DM (Berge)--------------
--------------Lo Celso---------Ndombele----------
Bergwijn-----------------------------------------Son
--------------------------Kane-------------------------

Loans: Sess, Parrott, Skipp and Roles

If we do finish this window with deals for Gedson, Berg and Piatek plus Gio made permanent then it has been great.

They are not overwhelming signings but they are a return to how we used to operate and how we should operate every season, young players with high potential.

You can really see the nucleus of a new team emerging. Add to that list Max Aarons plus another CB in the summer and we will be in a good place.

I really like that we have moved towards very technical players as opposed to athletes, Gedson, Gio, Ndombele vs Dier, Lucas, Alli, Son.

Bergjwin looks to be an exciting mix of athleticism and technique but we will wait and see how he gets on.

We suffered hugely since Dembele's departure with controlling but I feel that could be changing now.

I just want to use this season to bed in the new boys and then be ready to come out firing next season with:

Lloris
Aarons Toby Sanchez Davies
Gedson
Lo Celso Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son
Subs:
Gazza
Sessengon
Tanganga
Winks
Lucas
Alli
Piatek

I never argued any of that. I was debating with someone else that ENIC aren't scared to sell key players because of a fans backlash. You forgot any key players we sold, so asked me. I told you some. Now you are arguing you can't keep players that are desperate to leave. Different thing all together. Back to the original point, So now you agree ENIC have sold key players & weren't scared of a fans backlash?
Of course I don't agree, your post sounded like ENIC cares more about money than about team and winning stuff, and you said we can see it as they sold key players numerous times in the past. And I'm saying, that it took serious effort for players to force a move, both Bale and Walker had to openly fight through media their way out. I can remind you players we didn't sell, Dier to UTD, Kane, Toby. Eriksen till today, but he ran down his contract almost.

I'm a Porto fan. And im happy for Tottenham to have.missed the loan... Lol ;/ hope he leaves but for some other clube, he is not that good

Assuming we secure a striker this window as well, if we sign a CDM, RB and CB - and get rid of Rose, Wannyama and Vetonghan, in the summer, then I would say we will have finally gone through that painful Poch was always on about

Only other addition needed would possibly be another CAM, but with the amount of attacking players we have and Le Celso looking like he can replace Eriksen in that role, might not be needed

If we do finish this window with deals for Gedson, Berg and Piatek plus Gio made permanent then it has been great.

They are not overwhelming signings but they are a return to how we used to operate and how we should operate every season, young players with high potential.

You can really see the nucleus of a new team emerging. Add to that list Max Aarons plus another CB in the summer and we will be in a good place.

I really like that we have moved towards very technical players as opposed to athletes, Gedson, Gio, Ndombele vs Dier, Lucas, Alli, Son.

Bergjwin looks to be an exciting mix of athleticism and technique but we will wait and see how he gets on.

We suffered hugely since Dembele's departure with controlling but I feel that could be changing now.

I just want to use this season to bed in the new boys and then be ready to come out firing next season with:

Lloris
Aarons Toby Sanchez Davies
Gedson
Lo Celso Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son
Subs:
Gazza
Sessengon
Tanganga
Winks
Lucas
Alli
Piatek
Woul agree with all that except for Gedson playing as a CDM, think we need to bring someone else in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom