January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HG factor permitting, if we can shift a couple of unwanted players then a DM & CB would be awesome.....

HG factor permitting, if we can shift a couple of unwanted players then a DM & CB would be awesome.....
Read a rumour that Everton are interested in Sanchez, if that's the case then lets get Jose his first choice CB, wonder how much it would cost to tempt Lamptey from Brighton?

Read a rumour that Everton are interested in Sanchez, if that's the case then lets get Jose his first choice CB

If the numbers stacked up, regardless of one's feelings about Sanchez that'd be great.

, wonder how much it would cost to tempt Lamptey from Brighton?

They (and he) would be mad not to stick it out for another season.....

- If he proves himself, he'll be worth a fortune (fee, wages and pick of clubs).
- If he's still in the developing young player bracket then they'll still be able to make a fat profit for a promising HG player.

If the numbers stacked up, regardless of one's feelings about Sanchez that'd be great.

They (and he) would be mad not to stick it out for another season.....

- If he proves himself, he'll be worth a fortune (fee, wages and pick of clubs).
- If he's still in the developing young player bracket then they'll still be able to make a fat profit for a promising HG player.
I dont think Sanchez is nearly as bad as everyone makes out, and if he had a run of games with the same CB partner he would be fine, regarding Lamptey i hope we at least test the water with Brighton, we could buy him and loan him back for the rest of the season, however unless money is tight they would be stupid to get rid now

I dont think Sanchez is nearly as bad as everyone makes out, and if he had a run of games with the same CB partner he would be fine, regarding Lamptey i hope we at least test the water with Brighton, we could buy him and loan him back for the rest of the season, however unless money is tight they would be stupid to get rid now

Ditto re: Sanchez.... I do suspect Jose not to be a fan though. Even when he's played well, he's still dropped him as soon as Dier or Toby became available.

Let’s poach Ward-Prowse too while we are at it. Raiding Southampton worked for dippers after all.

:mourlmao:

Just what we need; the 19/20 Southampton midfield.

Just imagine them with the 19/20 Norwich defense behind them.... The only question would be how many points would we win the league by.

:mourlmao:

A player who plays similar to Pierre is Romeu at Southampton.
Romeu is bang average though. I don't see any progress in his ability since his days at Chavski.

I rather sign an established CB and push Dier back into midfield time to time, and wait for a right opportunity to sign a proper midfielder that can compete and contribute. Skriniar also can play as destroyer midfielder. We saw him in that role in the friendly against England few years back.

If I have connection within the club, I would suggest Levy to throw a cheeky low baller for VDB just to rile up Man U. If for some reasons, they accept the bid, it's not like we can't make do with him him given he was one of our target.

What's become clear is that our desperate need for central midfielders - of various types 6/hybrid/whatever we want to call them - was not solved last summer.

If we can pick up at least one decent option in January we should.

Obviously I thought we could have done better than PEH. I'll give him his due, he's an absolute trier who leaves it all on the pitch, and he does at least offer a combination of that and a modicum of footballing intentions - even if his ability and physical qualities can't cash the cheque his intentions want to write.

But we can't keep playing this midfield-less shite. At the very least we need to put another 6 or 6/hybrid in there with PEH if we intend to keep playing double pivots, someone with similar tenacity but with some footballing ability and dynamism. If Mourinho would adapt to a CM3 and use Lo Celso and Ndombele as lateral 8's we could have such a fucking good midfield, but Mourinho seems inexplicably welded to a Cm2 and fucking Sissoko trundling around like skagged up elephant doing a shit impression of Sulley Muntari.

Last edited:
What's become clear is that our desperate need for central midfielders - of various types 6/hybrid/whatever we want to call them - was not solved last summer.

If we can pick up at least one decent option in January we should.

Obviously I thought we could have done better than PEH. I'll give him his due, he's an absolute trier who leaves it all on the pitch, and he does at least offer a combination of that and a modicum of footballing intentions - even if his ability and physical qualities can't cash the cheque his intentions want to write.

But we can't keep playing this midfield-less shite. At the very least we need to put another 6 or 6/hybrid in there with PEH if we intend to keep playing double pivots, someone with similar tenacity but with some footballing ability and dynamism. If Mourinho would adapt to a CM3 and use Lo Celso and Ndombele as lateral 8's we could have such a fucking good midfield, but Mourinho seems inexplicably welded to a Cm2 and fucking Sissoko trundling around like snagged up elephant doing a shit impression of Sulley Muntari.
He [Jose] stated this week that they CAN both play together once they are both full fit.

Ndombele himself also said this week that he's still not 100% and Gio obviously isn't the way his game-time is being so strictly rationed.

I don't think we'll see it for 90mins in crunch games, but if chasing a goal or against a parked bus then it seems likely sooner or later.

Remember he siss was not a CM. I’d offer both him and wink and get JWP. No way is he any worse than those and he can score goals. What about lundestran hasnt signed contract at SU.

Seeing>Believing

He could be playing a midfield three now, without Lo Celso, which would mean a well intentioned but compromised Hojbjerg wouldn't have to do the job of three people and we'd have Ndombele playing where's he's supposed to, offering us some ability to take the ball from the back and move it to the front.

Seeing>Believing

Since he arrived Jose has allowed his mind to be changed by both Gio AND Ndombele individually as well as changing opinion from 'they can't play together' to 'they can'..... You're just being stubbornly cynical at this point.

He could be playing a midfield three now, without Lo Celso, which would mean a well intentioned but compromised Hojbjerg wouldn't have to do the job of three people and we'd have Ndombele playing where's he's supposed to, offering us some ability to take the ball from the back and move it to the front.

The point you're ignoring in favour of this week's Sissoko moan #157537D is that since we bought them the pair have barely been at full fitness; let alone at the same time.

We've been playing 3CMs most of the season... Swapping Winks in for Sissoko won't make an earth shattering difference. Been here before... You prefer the MF that lost to Antwerp to the one that beat Utd, Burnley & Brighton (as well as did the positive work against WH & NC).

Give the amount of flack given to Jose for not playing Ndombele, you'd think that would have abated for the short-term, but nope. Despite being excellent, the best PEH seems to be able to get is a back-handed 'better than Sissoko'-type compliment.

Tough crowd.

RE Lamptey

Mourinho supposedly turned down an approach for Max Aarons due to his physical numbers, can't see Lamptey being any greater in that department in Mourinho's mind...

RE Lamptey

Mourinho supposedly turned down an approach for Max Aarons due to his physical numbers, can't see Lamptey being any greater in that department in Mourinho's mind...
For a full back in back 4, him being so tiny is a liability. Team would put a target man in his position to shuffle his team shape.

Wingback position suits him, but he wouldn't get many picker as very few teams stick with back5 set up, if he can't improve further to be an out and our attacker.

And I think re Max Aarons case, it's in context of our team lack of aerial ability. We can't carry themselves as is. We need a full back that also offer some aerial presence too. Mourinho had small fullbacks before. Cashley Cole, Marcelo, Concentrao, Azpilicueta. Reguilon is also in this group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom