January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a fan of signing Diego Costa, but disagree with these out of context remark.

Diego Costa asset as CF is not all about goal. He occupies and riles up opponents defenders all game, thus bringing his teammates into play. Great hold up play. With him in a team, the manager can be afforded with and extra attacker in the team, as he can defend from up front, and help with defending set piece.

If only looking at goal, then Juventus was stupid to spend that much for Morata with similar goal return for Atletico. Simeone Atletico forwards ain't always scoring in load. And more importantly by minutes play, they forwards get rotated a lot. At times, it looks like Diego Costa got played to do defensive work, especially in set piece. Simeone wants more bodies in attack, but wouldn't give up that defensive ability.

He may be past it now, but the true intention is freeing up the high wage, so they can reinvest. They're interested in Milik. This is the signing we should rival them.
You are describing Costa of 3-4 years ago. He is broken.

Last time, I saw him earlier this season, it's not a different type of player. Lower level? Sure.

Me wanting him here? No.

Just don't see the point on some posters making up false narrative about player, because they're scared of the players joining.

What false narrative?

I have said Costa is not good enough for AM which is clear in how little he plays for them and them getting rid of him.

You tried to make up some nonsense about all the good stuff he does away from scoring goals, so good in fact that Simeone rarely played him and is now getting rid of him for nothing. You then tried to spin some nonsense that it was wages not his play that was the reason, which is clearly BS.

The fact is Costa is not close to good enough to play for us. If you want to call it fear that I don't want bad players coming here go right ahead. I am fine with the label of not wanting bad players on Spurs.

What false narrative?

I have said Costa is not good enough for AM which is clear in how little he plays for them and them getting rid of him.

You tried to make up some nonsense about all the good stuff he does away from scoring goals, so good in fact that Simeone rarely played him and is now getting rid of him for nothing. You then tried to spin some nonsense that it was wages not his play that was the reason, which is clearly BS.

The fact is Costa is not close to good enough to play for us. If you want to call it fear that I don't want bad players coming here go right ahead. I am fine with the label of not wanting bad players on Spurs.
Again just going in circle.

Do you understand how a contract work? How Atletico didn't have to pay him to terminate his contract, if not for him to ask for it?

You don't want bad players coming here has nothing to do with my initial point. I made it clear enough that I don't want him either, and prefer Milik. See what I meant?

Again just going in circle.

Do you understand how a contract work? How Atletico didn't have to pay him to terminate his contract, if not for him to ask for it?

You don't want bad players coming here has nothing to do with my initial point. I made it clear enough that I don't want him either, and prefer Milik. See what I meant?

Yes I understand how contracts work. Which is why when talking about guys like Cavani and Eriksen who were in similar situations they were not just let go. Because they had value to the team.

Try to make this about his contract all you want but if he was a good player they wouldn't be doing this.

And again Milik is a terrible option for us.

Yes I understand how contracts work. Which is why when talking about guys like Cavani and Eriksen who were in similar situations they were not just let go. Because they had value to the team.

Try to make this about his contract all you want but if he was a good player they wouldn't be doing this.

And again Milik is a terrible option for us.
Again, missing context. Cavani never asked to get terminated. He wanted that money despite PSG given up on him. Even if club terminate player contract and pay him, the player's consent is needed. See Rose. Cavani chose to stay so he can have access to facility to condition himyself.

Nobody wanted pay him what he asked, hence he didn't sign for anyone until he lowered his demand, and joined Man U near the deadline, where as Atletico, Juventus all looking for a CF, and also made contact.

Respect your personal opinion, but let's agree to disagree.

The club e-mailed me to confirm Doherty is non-HG in Europe.
So currently we have in Europe
17 Non-HG
3 Association
4 Club Trained
Total 24 (Max allowed 25)
This does not include Rodon.
EPL
16 Non-HG
9 HG
Total 25 (Max allowed 25)
For Europe we are able to add a HG player but to buy a non-HG player we need to lose at least 2 non-HG players if Rodon is to be included in the EL squad.

Well done for getting an authorative source for Doherty's status in EL. I make that :

Club Trained - 4 ( Kane, Bale, Winks, Whiteman, )
Other Assoc Trained 3 (Hart, Dele, Clarke)
Overseas Trained 17 (Lloris, Aurier, Doherty, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Ndombele, Son, Bergwijn, Vinicius, Lamela)
Sub-Total 24 Players
List B (U 21's)
2 (Tanganga, Austin etc)

But Rodon not eligible for EL.

For PL (with different rules to categorise players) :
Other Association Trained

- 17 players above less Davies less Doherty plus Gazzaniga = 16
Home Grown
- As Club and Other Assn Trained - 7 above plus Davies, Rodon & Doherty less Clarke = 9
Sub - Total 25 Players
Under 21's

- As above plus Clarke

Agree we could buy an HG player for EL (but no room in PL squad)

If we buy an overseas trained player such as Sabitzer we need to sell or loan out an overseas trained player for the player to fit into both PL and EL. But we might just take a chance on buying him to play only in PL and sideline Gazzaniga ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom