January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The BBC seem to like slagging us off....

I doubt more than 3 transfers this window is realistic.

3 good signings is workable because we are no longer in the Europa Conference League and therefore should be able to play full strength most days, although that is still dependent on injures. Although not sure we will get 3 signings.

Bit of a unique situation between the rich club with a threadbare, hole-filled squad, the new world-class manager who wasn’t here in the summer, and the surfeit of quality players on the continent coming to the end of their contracts.

January’s been going out of style for years, but this one will buck that trend a bit.

It's been talked about for a while now; but I wonder if this is the start of seeing more of this.

17/18 - Summer window net spend £10.25m
Winter window net spend £25m
18/19 Summer window net spend £2m profit
Winter window net spend £11m profit
19/20 Summer window net spend £59.1m
Winter window net spend £27m
20/21 Summer £52.9m
Winter £0
21/22 Sumer £31.4m
Winter TBA

I actually think the only reason for the increased summer spends post no-transfer season is because we just don't have the players to sell anymore. Also a lot more money from the CL

No matter how many times you say this it doesn't become more true every time.

There has been investment in the squad over the past few seasons, we've just spent it on crap.

I mean do we need to keep repeating this before the penny actually drops?
The reason we spend it on crap is cos we pay shit wages, low transfer fees and agent fees. Im sure our guys know who the good players are. But nobody is gonna take less money to play for us

Bit of a unique situation between the rich club with a threadbare, hole-filled squad, the new world-class manager who wasn’t here in the summer, and the surfeit of quality players on the continent coming to the end of their contracts.

January’s been going out of style for years, but this one will buck that trend a bit.
None of that changes anything. January is a shit month as most teams don't want to sell their best players when they're fighting for something.

The reason we spend it on crap is cos we pay shit wages, low transfer fees and agent fees. Im sure our guys know who the good players are. But nobody is gonna take less money to play for us

So what's Leicester's excuse then? We pay more than them in wages and I assume agents fees but they seem to recruit far better than us?

West ham have also had some wins recently in the transfer market, they don't pay as much as us either.

Isolate the teams from that list that were in the champions league for 4 years including a final.
We were bringing in massive money but have teams like Villa, with no Europe at all, spending similar money.

There's no smoke without fire.
And the smoke is getting thicker by the day,.

The meltdown though is, as usual, OTT.
We sniffed around this guy last summer when we were expecting, arrogantly, that City would cough up. They didn't that's the end of that. We aren't signing a £70m+ striker until Kane goes.
I doubt we have had much to say or do with the player since, so we're not being beaten to him at all.
I love Kane. Still wish we’d sold him though. £120M. Yes please. Replaced him with a Vlahovic and a good attacking midfielder.
We will come to regret that decision.

3 good signings is workable because we are no longer in the Europa Conference League and therefore should be able to play full strength most days, although that is still dependent on injures. Although not sure we will get 3 signings.
I think 3 decent signings would be okay too.... once we're at full strength with Romero et al back.
CL is an outside chance for us this season, as long as we end up higher than last year we're heading in the right direction.

My worry is that we could ebb away to 7th or below.

Last edited:
Isolate the teams from that list that were in the champions league for 4 years including a final.
We were bringing in massive money but have teams like Villa, with no Europe at all, spending similar money.

Like Liverpool you mean who's been in the CL longer and who we've spent more than?

Weren't even building a stadium either...

So what's Leicester's excuse then? We pay more than them in wages and I assume agents fees but they seem to recruit far better than us?

West ham have also had some wins recently in the transfer market, they don't pay as much as us either.
Elite scouts.

I'm not denying our actual business is shit btw. I'm just pointing out that the cheapest option to Levy year after year is to sack the manager.
We need much, much better scouting, but we're currently stuck with a load of deadwood no one wants and we can't move on from it.

There's no smoke without fire.
And the smoke is getting thicker by the day,.

The meltdown though is, as usual, OTT.
We sniffed around this guy last summer when we were expecting, arrogantly, that City would cough up. They didn't that's the end of that. We aren't signing a £70m+ striker until Kane goes.
I doubt we have had much to say or do with the player since, so we're not being beaten to him at all.

Kind of agree, but, think we should spend big on a Diaz, who no doubt with Son could form a functional, if anarchic-for-conte front 2. So if Kane stays we aren't straddled like we may be with Vlahovic and Kane.

Think one big statement signing of high quality would set the perceptual bar for the squad, this is the new regime, this is the quality we set our standards upon now.

Won't happen, but think we could establish quickly, especially if there's a CM of this nature in Conte's eyes, who we can nab (Kessie appears the choice, so after AFCON I guess we'll see).

But big on Diaz and someone better than Kessie (who would do I suppose), could really transform us (acknowledging I've seen one youtube clip, but that's all you need for some, and hearing our Porto supporters replies of fear that we may take him mid-season as he hasn't seen the like in Portugal in a long time...).

Back
Top Bottom