January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's a bad question to start an analysis with anyway.

Are they asking if January transfers can move the needle in terms of performance?

or

Have January transfers been regularly successful at moving the needle for performance?

The answer to the first one is unquestionably, yes.

The second one is harder to answer and you probably can't even study it properly with quantitative data alone.
I mean that graph that was shown is exactly how you’d measure it.

It looks at transfers across an entire season, if I am not mistaken. The premise of the analysis, which is in Soccernomics, is that wages have a much stronger correlation to performance than transfer spend does. This analysis was published a few years back and, now that I'm thinking about it, more data analytics entering the transfer decision-making might yield somewhat different results if it were conducted again today.
Yeah but teams that have high wages also have high transfer spend. It’s very obvious that both wages and transfer spend would have a strong correlation to winning.

If the study only looks at wages and transfer spend against performance in the current year, then that’s just a flaw in the study because wages are spread out evenly over several years and transfer spend is usually only taken into account at the time of purchase, but that transfer still has impact for several seasons after.

I just want Olise has missed 10 games this season and apart from last season has been very injury prone while at Palace. Eze has missed 6 games. I do not think either player should go for anywhere near the prices people are saying. Also I think most of you are overating them.

I just want Olise has missed 10 games this season and apart from last season has been very injury prone while at Palace. Eze has missed 6 games. I do not think either player should go for anywhere near the prices people are saying. Also I think most of you are overating them.

Olise probably gets injured so much because he's carrying that club on his back.

tumbleweed GIF

Olise probably gets injured so much because he's carrying that club on his back.
Brennan Johnson did very similar things for Forest. Scored 16 goals in the Championship and 2 in the playoffs to get Forest promoted. He also directly contributed with goal involvements for 14pts last season to help Forest stay up.

He's 16 and they aren't going to make any more money from developing him so don't have much incentive to push him over any experienced CBs they have on the books. I think we only left him there because we couldn't bring him and loan him ourselves yet.
Always a potential risk of a transfer like this, but you'd think there would be an attempt to mitigate it by using add-ons based on his future success, meaning that it is in their interest for him to develop as fully as possible over the next 2 years.

I can't see how this loan is a better standard for him to develop at than just staying at HS, was much happier when the Dutch league was mentioned a while back.

I’m with you on that. For some reason they are mentioned as if they are world beaters. Decent players to be fair but the money mentioned is ludicrous. Olise has missed 10 games already and only had way through,that’s a ref flag right there. Nobody will pay what palace are asking.

I’m with you on that. For some reason they are mentioned as if they are world beaters. Decent players to be fair but the money mentioned is ludicrous. Olise has missed 10 games already and only had way through,that’s a ref flag right there. Nobody will pay what palace are asking.
The only plus is they are home grown but I think there is better value we should be looking for the next Bowen/Eze/Olise to solve that problem. I also think they have the advantage of time and space because they play for Palace do not think they would look as good when the opposition has an extremely tight defence.

Brennan Johnson did very similar things for Forest. Scored 16 goals in the Championship and 2 in the playoffs to get Forest promoted. He also directly contributed with goal involvements for 14pts last season to help Forest stay up.

And yet, he's still half the player Olise is.

He's got 6 goals and 3 assists this season. In 745 minutes. The equivalent to less than 8 and a half games played. Obscene numbers.

In fact, he's been involved in more goals in his last 3 starts for lowly Palace than Johnson has all season whilst starting for us.

Olise is injury prone though, absolutely. Money banded about for him considering his injury record is silly.

5 players is doable. We got the mullah. We ain't talking signing 5 superstars either. And that's what we need after years of squad mismanagement.

Plus if Frase, Reggy, Sess, Japh, Spence, Joe R, Pierre, GLC, Tanguy & Gil leave...here's hoping 🤞🏻🙏🏻...you gotta bring a few new bodies in.

I'd forgotten about Veliz. I still think he could do with a loan to a bottom half PL/top Champo contender. See what Ange thinks of Troy, Dane, Donley, Yago, Jude, Dorrie...be good to fully integrate Devine & another Academy kid or two, then send the other top prospects on good loans a la Port Vale.
Yes it's doable if we show urgency but the likes of Levy just doesn't get it, that's why Ange was left without a CB in the summer.

And yet, he's still half the player Olise is.

He's got 6 goals and 3 assists this season. In 745 minutes. The equivalent to less than 8 and a half games played. Obscene numbers.

In fact, he's been involved in more goals in his last 3 starts for lowly Palace than Johnson has all season whilst starting for us.

Olise is injury prone though, absolutely. Money banded about for him considering his injury record is silly.
Olise is on another level from Johnson but completely different types. Olise has that class about him that you love to see but I doubt we’ll ever see because he’s stick at Palace because of the fee they’d ask for.

Olise is on another level from Johnson but completely different types. Olise has that class about him that you love to see but I doubt we’ll ever see because he’s stick at Palace because of the fee they’d ask for.

I reckon he has a decent release clause tbh. Probably comes into effect this summer.

From last year watching Forest and Palace I was much more excited about Brennan. I do not think he has shown everything he has at Spurs but I think he was a better player last season than Olise. Especially since 3 of Olise assists came from set pieces.

Back
Top Bottom