January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, but Griezmann could play further up, in a false 9 type role, basically replacing Richy.
He could but would you really sign a player that instantly becomes your highest wage earner, costs money in a transfer fee that you can never recoup.... then not play them in their best position?

Love Griezmann but it's about the least likely transfer I could ever see this club doing.

Looking at how Jack Clarke has been doing since leaving us, the problem is either our player development or our patience.
Clarke should have been loaned after he was signed but suspect he wasnt as he was our first signing in 18 months and sending him straight back out on loan would have been a laughable look. He then had Mourinho as manager who he was never going to develop under. Really a signing and structure that sums up our muddled thinking in those years.

You're speaking to a chartered accountant.

Swiss Ramble even did an expose on the EPL during covid, admittedly this graph is now 3 years old, but we haven't withdrawn cash in that time either.

kfp6d5zx7zha1.png

See us there with (0). That means that since we sacked 'Arry we have seen 0 pounds put into the club by owner Joe Lewis. But unlike the Glazers who take money out as the graph shows, our owners have also not done that either. So our unspent profit sits in the club accounts, which as of 2022 report was 283m pounds.

I have approached this debate with respect and civility and you're throwing around the idiot insult, earlier on it was fathead. A bit unnecessary.

FWIW you started by complaining about the non-football activities like concerts, go karts and NFL. These all contribute revenue to the accounts of THFC, not ENIC International or its parent company Tavistock group. Revenue that our accounts categorically can prove are not used to fund ENIC's real estate endeavours you speak of. Or any other of Joe Lewis' ventures.

They sit in the club accounts as unused funds, probably why unlike other clubs we aren't skimping this window worried about FFP issues.

Cheers mate.
Full time financial/credit analyst here on this end, working on corporate customers financing and monitoring of their banking exposures.

You are spot on. Some random trolls keep saying random shit about how owners take the money and do not care about the club... but when I ask them to provide any kind of proof of that (cause AUDITED reports that have to be correct by law do not show any money being pumped out), then they either go to full silence or resort to personal attacks about "Being stupid", "not understanding", "being blind"; "being Levy-bot" or whatever. Never got substantial answer from like 10+ questions on the topic.
So yea... borefest.

But what I'd like to add to your take- Spurs, Conte boost with £150m cash injection

So, in 2022 summer, owners actually injected 150 million pounds (close to 190 mil $) to the club. So not only they do not drain the club, they have invested additional capital. On your chart above, it would raise us to between Woolwich and Wolves, to 9th place.

But way bigger than it's impact is taking on and finishing our stadium project. Which was done before the massive inflation-crisis AND financed on EXTREMELY favorable terms. I think we fixed interest rates on 2,81% (!!) right now US government bonds have yield of 4% (!) so they locked our interest costs on lower level than biggest economy in the world could take loans now. People do not understand it's meaning, but with big capital expenditures this has very big influence on actual cashflow (so actual money paid).

Total debt amount being 852,6 m GBP interest rate of 2,81% means interest cost in region of 24 m GBP. It is very hard to estimate what the actual market-floating rate would be for Spurs (I don't have good insight into UK capital markets; I work and live in Estonia) but I see that recent UK Gov bond rates carry cupon of 3,5-4,5%. Let's take the avg of 4% (same to US current yield) and add like 2,5% premium on that. We would arrive to 6,5%. And with such interest rate our interest cost would balloon to 55,4 million GBP. Difference PER ONE YEAR is 31,5 million GBP or 36,6 million EUR. Our FY22 revenue was 444 m GBP, so only the interest cost savings make up 7% from our overall income. So if they wouldn't have made this deal - from every pound anyone from here would spend on tickets or beers, 7 cents MORE would have gone to banks, but now it could be used for salaries/player aquisition etc.

To put this to other terms, using this money to increase our salary bill would add 704 thEUR (!) per week to our salaries. I mean... it could increase EVERY STARTING XI player salary by 64 thEUR.

Think we need to find some competition for both Maddison and Bissouma this summer!

Extremely important positions in the team, where we MUST have alternatives!

And maybe we need to look at the fullback situation! Get two in, one in each flank, maybe more defensive-minded than what we got already, to have more alternatives.

Why would we get TWO fullbakcs in, specially if defensive minded ... if we have Royal in our books :eek: ?

I would say that he is very capable replacement on that regard.
We could entertain idea of buying promising LWB option, true so we'd have also cover there.
I would say either one more fullback or one more CB in summer, not both. If it would be CB, we'd move Benny to LWB cover. Not perfect, but still decent.

In broad terms (and not to upset certain politically active fans), Haringey were under a Corbyn like council for years who seemed to never improve the area around Tottenham with almost zero new builds despite a swelling local population. Tottenham area used to be 'gentile' and even middle class to look at the older buildings around the area when Spurs first joined league in early 1900's but was largely rebuilt post war (mainly I think in the 60's) as a 'concrete' jungle with little social space and had become an area inhabited by less well off people, many not working and others in low paid jobs tending to be cramped in deteriorating housing/area....... and nothing changing as local council didn't believe in changing people's lives for the better (sad but true - politically better to let people complain and local Cotrbynist council blame government whether labour or conservative) .

Spurs wanting to rebuild a stadium was proposed but was totally against the political requirements of the local council (private company, change, rebuilding in the area etc) from the earlyish 2000's onwards.

There was a rude awakening in 2011 for both local council and national government with a major riot, looting of shops etc over a few days and nights - the demands of the locals very quickly became focussed on 'change' - more and better housing, more employment, better chances in life and (I think) they had seen many areas boom in the last 20 years, but their area going downhill.

The riots set in motion a realisation for the council that things needed to change, Levy re-put forward the prospect of hundreds of millions investment in a local stadium (with big crowds spending money in the local area) plus a commitment to build housing in the area with several early developments being 100% for social housing with amenities such as school, medical centre and other amenities (much of the list reflecting the type of changes demanded by locals and rioters).

The first major housing build (before the stadium) was Brook House (some 100+ flats finished to a good standard (almost zero complaints from new residents - sadly unusual these days where new build quality is often poor) and all 100% social housing together with a primary school, leisure area and some business space to employ locals. More housing has followed to a similar standard, typically 80% (ish) social housing, rest private. I believe Spurs have mow enabled more homes built in the area than the previous 40 years and indeed have still built more than Haringey and its partners.

You will know all about the stadium build which actually commenced building in 2015 ish and completed in 2019. But in a different political environment, the stadium could have been built almost a decade earlier - and the changes stemming from the new stadium, new housing, new employment and enhanced education might have prevented the Tottenham riots.

There's a lot that fans can say about the football club, but one thing we should all be proud of is the changes Spurs have and are making in the area with huge improvements in housing, employment (thousands employed though Spurs initiatives) as well as education ( London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) - results are staggering for a disadvantaged area including local pupils going to universities including Oxford and Cambridge) together with Spurs Foundation providing other social initiatives.
There's a lot to contend with in this post. And there's a fair few people in the local community who are less than fully supportive of some of the input we have had in some of the 'regeneration '. I don't think any earlier financial boon would have prevented the riots, as much of the issues behind that were intrinsic to policing. Its all way more nuanced than simple good and bad. Be that Enic, the council or community relations. Right now that golf course/ women's football training center is another cause for contention.

Imagine THIS could be our strongest line-up after the window....

Vicario
Porro
Romero
VDVDragusin
Udogie
BissoumaSarr
Bentancur
Kulusevski
Maddison
Son
WernerRichie
lineup code
[lineup]
Vicario
Porro Romero VDV/Dragusin Udogie

Bissouma/Sarr Bentancur

Kulusevski Maddison Son

Werner/Richie
[/lineup]

Subs: Forster, Royal, Dragusin, Davies, Sarr, Skipp/Hoijberg, Lo Celso Solomon/Johnson, Richie/Veliz

UNREAL!!
What the fans + Ange deserve.

Think the dynamic of this might actually end up hitting the sweet spot, tho.

7LJCgb4.jpg

You're speaking to a chartered accountant.

Swiss Ramble even did an expose on the EPL during covid, admittedly this graph is now 3 years old, but we haven't withdrawn cash in that time either.

kfp6d5zx7zha1.png

See us there with (0). That means that since we sacked 'Arry we have seen 0 pounds put into the club by owner Joe Lewis. But unlike the Glazers who take money out as the graph shows, our owners have also not done that either. So our unspent profit sits in the club accounts, which as of 2022 report was 283m pounds.

I have approached this debate with respect and civility and you're throwing around the idiot insult, earlier on it was fathead. A bit unnecessary.

FWIW you started by complaining about the non-football activities like concerts, go karts and NFL. These all contribute revenue to the accounts of THFC, not ENIC International or its parent company Tavistock group. Revenue that our accounts categorically can prove are not used to fund ENIC's real estate endeavours you speak of. Or any other of Joe Lewis' ventures.

They sit in the club accounts as unused funds, probably why unlike other clubs we aren't skimping this window worried about FFP issues.
knockout GIF

Back
Top Bottom