January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Utd are looking to get rid of Casemiro and Varane to get them off their wage books come Summer and move a load of players out like Martial, come Summer they'll have dough to spend.

Why isn't he going to West Ham?

Gallagher is a good player, he's going to end up somewhere.

And these clubs looking to offload their players to Saudi this summer are going to be shocked when they can’t because they now don’t want to move there. I’m expecting a pretty stagnant summer window if there’s not much Saudi cash about. I don’t know how much was spent by Saudi Arabia on PL players but I suspect it enabled the transfer window a hell of a lot.

I saw some plank say he’d donated 200 quid!

Re Gallagher, if he’s £45m I wonder who in the rest of Europe we can get for that figure skating half the clubs seem to be financially on their knees? There must be loads.
I do wonder if the people on that site that say they donated large sums are just in on the scam themselves.

Dragusin had 3 suitors, us, BM and Napoli, not to mention that Genoa wanted him to sign a new contract.

Werner, by all accounts, had a number of interested parties. However, he made his decision within minutes of AP talking to him.

I suspect that any other parties interested in Gallagher are likely waiting to see what we screw Chelsea down to, if we even put in a bid, to see if they could potentially hijack the move.

It does seem strange that there's no noise about anyone else being interested though.
Having Bayern (who were looking at other options, like Kevin Danso, that fell thru) and Napoli (who are skint and not that attractive after the sacking of Spaletti and Garcia in just a few months) is considered a few. And you can't consider Genova as a club wanting to buy him :)
Not many clubs were mentioned being interested in Werner either.
But...I did not mean it in a negative way that so few top clubs are after Spurs' targets: look at Vicario, van de Ven, Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison, they also had relatively few suitors...
I am pretty sure that many clubs now take notice of the work Paratici & co. are doing and keep an eye on any player Spurs will target.
I wouldn't even be surprised if Man Utd or Chelski will try to get Angelos & Paratici. Fortunately neither clubs are as capable as when Edwards and Roman were at those respective clubs.

I know he's got his limitations but if he want to stay I'd like to keep him. He's a good servant as looks content (no happy I guess) with the role at the club and never complains (at least not to the press).

Skipp was great under Nuno. He is a proper good DM in a low block team, he just doesn’t adapt well to being in a more expansive type of team. I wouldn’t want him to go there but he’d be perfect for Moyes at West Ham.

If Skipp leaves we can only name a squad of 22 for UEFA games next season. Of which our only club trained player will be Austin.
He is literally irreplacable for UEFA games.

How many homegrown players are needed in a Champions League squad?​

Out of the 25, eight places are reserved exclusively for "locally trained players" or homegrown players. Out of the eight, not more than four can be "association-trained players" and the rest must be "club-trained".

It must be explicitly mentioned who qualifies as "locally trained", and also whether they are "club trained" or association trained".

If he is really way down the pecking order and if we have U21 players in the squad that are better than him, then him being sold would not be a huge loss. It would also give the other young CL / HG players more game time.

Only when one is out of that toxic place with narcissistic admins does he/she realises how ridiculous the practice of donating over some 'ITKs' being 'right' about signings is.
I always thought it was utterly mental the whole time I was a poster there.
I've been a forum regular for many forums for decades. and not once has any of them ever fallen over or crashed and needed emergency money sent to keep them going.
I think they're just taking advantage of some slightly "basic" posters who have NFI what tosh it is.
But of course, you get banned for even questioning it.

"We don't have the ability to sign a player of that level"

Fucking hell that was clumsy and passive aggressive. The owners won't love that and neither will the other players he has already signed and especially not any player they might be looking at this window.
I read a surprising rumour recently that Howe was in line for the sack....

Edit: Supposedly Newcastle were after the Girona manager.

View: https://x.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1742881968109363276?s=20

Last edited:
The problem with getting excited about FFP kicking in, is that in all likeliness, all it will do, is reduce transfer fees across the board, bringing those that are limited back into play.

We've seen transfer fees blown well out of proportion for 20 years because of the money clubs. All I can see happening us a reduction of that.

And if that then leads to a reduction in player wages and then ticket prices (fucking optimistic I know) then it would be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom