January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Try reading back a few pages and compare apples to apples.

OK, firstly, I responded to a simple, factually incorrect, statement that stated we aren't the most profitable club in London. We are - or have been in the last few years.

I'm not sure what apples you want me to compare my apples to? Guy says we aren't the most profitable club in London. Facts say we are.

Secondly, at the point of reading that post, I hadn't read subsequent replies, some of which covered my reply, which I came back to delete because of this - but now you've quoted it, no point.

We’ve scored more goals because we’ve manoeuvred from low-risk football to high risk football.

You could lose a star CB and still concede less with system changes. Wouldn’t mean you aren’t losing out on the individual quality or that you wouldn’t benefit from replacing that individual.

I’d be much more interested in looking at how we’re doing xG vs actual goals and how many good situations (created by a system) are wasted by individual profligacy you wouldn’t get from Kane compared to Johnson or Werner.

Son is now our only forward I really have any faith in during a lot of situations and he’s 31. Not ideal.

We are outperforming our XG and XGA (exp goals against) by about 5 and 6 goals respectively.

Our XG is better by 6 on last year after 21 games. Our XGA is worse by 10 goals after 21 games.

Since the start of last season:

Mitoma (26 yrs): 10G 9A
Johnson (22 yrs): 9G 7A (most of the goals in a shittier team)

Why would Mitoma be our longer term target?

Systems. Johnson played as the main outlet in a deep block and counter side. Mitoma played in a system far more like ours. As we are seeing, in games where we are dominating territory and squeezing teams back, Johnson's straight line running is pretty moribund. Mitoma's 1 v 1 ability to dribble at/past people when faced up could be extremely useful tool, against deep blocks. he's also better without the ball than Johnson.

Mitoma isn’t a game changer.

Would be underwhelmed

We need a Kvratshkelia/Leao level of player that dominates the way opponents think about us.

If we don’t want the risk of buying one already at that level, then Lange and the crew need to earn their money and find one that’s just about to blow up

Kvaratskhelia yes.

I've always been a fan of Leao since his Lille days, on his day he can be unplayable, but he does have days where he just isn't on it, and he's really fucking slack without the ball.

I like Mitoma. I think he's exactly what we need. Technically good, hard working, productive.

OK, firstly, I responded to a simple, factually incorrect, statement that stated we aren't the most profitable club in London. We are - or have been in the last few years.

I'm not sure what apples you want me to compare my apples to? Guy says we aren't the most profitable club in London. Facts say we are.

Secondly, at the point of reading that post, I hadn't read subsequent replies, some of which covered my reply, which I came back to delete because of this - but now you've quoted it, no point.
I’’m going to delete my post with yours embedded within so feel free to delete your post if you choose.

If you want to go on believing that we’re the third most profitable sports business in the world — except for that whole pesky buying a team thing — then I’m not going to be the one to burst that illusion. Sorry.

Been watching this Kubo kid in La liga...honestly looks good and the stats back it up.

Good dribbler...can create, good crosses...technically sound and works hard defensively as well.

These are the type of players we need to get.

I like Solanke, but that's a lot.

Confused Canadian GIF by SAG Awards

Good move but I don't just want them to explain VAR decisions. I want refs to explain big decisions post match.

In tandem, I want all fucking dissent and crowding of refs to be stopped completely. I also want the media to tone down criticism too.

Too add a contrary view!

Whilst primarily being a sport, football is also entertainment. Often the 'bad decisions' and controversy is what gets us talking with our work mates on a Monday morning.

Sure, its shit being on the wrong end of bad decisions; but it is also fun to wind up your mates when the tables flip.

Does making the whole game sterile also take away from the banter and unpredictability?

Of course, an incompetent ref is one thing; but a corrupt ref is another.

Translation: Interested enough and have enough time to mock, goad and argue on the subject of club finance; but not to inform ones-self in case of inconvenient truths.

Just like whenever the club accounts get published and posted here and those that complain the loudest won't go anywhere near them.

Never change TFC.... Never change.
"Ones-self"

What a cunt

Indeed! Still want to know what the analysis of him was to justify the price and that he’d fit. Who wanted him by all accounts it was Ange’s priority. How could a player who played mainly in a low block counter attack style play in a high press, aggressive front foot pocession based team?

Why don’t you try phoning our scouting team and asking.

Back
Top Bottom