Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess it depends which players are talking about Mourinho. Pogba, Martial, Salah, DeBruyne, Casillas, Ramos, Ronaldo...might confirm some of those media portrayals, and there have been many others. Might be where the media have got those portrayals from?
This list of players is in itself a good example of distorted facts about Mourinho (not that it was your intention).

Ronaldo and Salah don't speak badly about Mou. It's quite the opposite. Ronaldo, in more than one interview, spoke about his gratitude towards him. And while Salah went (on loan) to Fiorentina when Jose was Chelsea's manager, he was always very respectful when mentioning his former coach - probably because his move to Italy, playing for Fiorentina and Roma (permanent transfer, sealed after Jose), was good for his career. Also, Mourinho was the one that brought him from Basel in the first place.

And let's not forget: when Salah and De Bruyne didn't make Chelsea's first team under Mou, the big noise - coming from the fans, media and everybody else - was about Juan Mata. Salah and De Bruyne were not elite players at the time, and blaming Jose for "not giving them time" is a bit of a hypocrisy when you remember he was working for Chelsea's Abramovich. And guess what? De Bruyne said it himself. He was impatient at the time and moving to Wolsfburg was his decision. You can check everything I said about those 3 players and their words about Mou.

Casillas was a different story. He was already a winner in 2010 - his name belongs with the greats of Madrid and Spain. However, that was also the cases of Guti and Raul, and they both stayed at the club for too long. Madrid before Mou was Jorge Valdano's club. One different manager every season, unbalanced squad and old players basically dictating terms. Jose changed that. And, even though his relationship with Casillas was a non-existent one, the fact is that by 2012 Casillas wasn't good enough to be the first goalkeeper of a top team. That's why he was dropped - before that, their relationship was bad, but he was playing every game. After Mou, under Ancelotti, he was rotated with Diego Lopez. And then, he was off to Porto. The whole process was very painful for both, but I honestly think Casillas respects Mourinho, and vice-versa. You won't find much hate on their interviews about each other, that's for sure.

Of the seven players you mentioned, only 3 of them actually went out in a disrespectful way about Mou: Ramos, Martial and Pogba. And I have to say, none of those players are good examples of ethical behavior - not to mention that one of them moved from a normal right-back to the best center-back in the world thanks to his time under Jose.

Sorry about my bad english. COYS

Last edited:
All we need to know is Mourinho has a short shelf life. It's usually short but fruitful.
Let's hope he continues that trend so we all get to see Spurs win something.
Everyone should he happy with that and those that dislike him so much can sleep easy knowing 3 years and he's gone.

This list of players is in itself a good example of distorted facts about Mourinho (not that it was your intention).

Ronaldo and Salah don't speak badly about Mou. It's quite the opposite. Ronaldo, in more than one interview, spoke about his gratitude towards him. And while Salah went (on loan) to Fiorentina when Jose was Chelsea's manager, he was always very respectful when mentioning his former coach - probably because his move to Italy, playing for Fiorentina and Roma (permanent transfer, sealed after Jose), was good for his career. Also, Mourinho was the one that brought him from Basel in the first place.

And let's not forget: when Salah and De Bruyne didn't make Chelsea's first team under Mou, the big noise - coming from the fans, media and everybody else - was about Juan Mata. Salah and De Bruyne were not elite players at the time, and blaming Jose for "not giving them time" is a bit of a hypocrisy when you remember he was working for Chelsea's Abramovich. And guess what? De Bruyne said it himself. He was impatient at the time and moving to Wolsfburg was his decision. You can check everything I said about those 3 players and their words about Mou.

Casillas was a different story. He was already a winner in 2010 - his name belongs with the greats of Madrid and Spain. However, that was also the cases of Guti and Raul, and they both stayed at the club for too long. Madrid before Mou was Jorge Valdano's club. One different manager every season, unbalanced squad and old players basically dictating terms. Jose changed that. And, even though his relationship with Casillas was a non-existent one, the fact is that by 2012 Casillas wasn't good enough to be the first goalkeeper of a top team. That's why he was dropped - before that, their relationship was bad, but he was playing every game. After Mou, under Ancelotti, he was rotated with Diego Lopez. And then, he was off to Porto. The whole process was very painful for both, but I honestly think Casillas respects Mourinho, and vice-versa. You won't find much hate on their interviews about each other, that's for sure.

Of the seven players you mentioned, only 3 of them actually went out in a disrespectful way about Mou: Ramos, Martial and Pogba. And I have to say, none of those players are good examples of ethical behavior - not to mention that one of them moved from a normal right-back to the best center-back in the world thanks to his time under Jose.

As I subsequently said, it wasn't just about "falling out" or disagreements. I was responding to someone who was making a point about Mourinho's man management being much better than it is often portrayed in or by the press.

I actually said:

Not all of those were major fall outs. Some were just players unhappy at not being given chances. Some of those players have made up with him or speak reasonably well of him, but that doesn't change the fact that at the time there were problems and he has not always man managed players well.

And further qualified this by saying that during the period when Mourinho was being very successful his methods could be more easily mitigated, but when you end up leaving clubs that had finished first or second half way down the league a few months later because you have alienated half your playing staff, and you aren't winning league's and Cl's any more, then it is less viable.

Mourinho's methodology is extremely short term, this has been proven constantly over a long period. It hasn't been truly successful for 5 years, at that was with a team that had won the title two season's prior, so already had inherent quality. But the following season they were a mess and players had effectively downed tools on him.

Same in his next job at ManU where the "man management" techniques worked partially for one season, but subsequently failed miserably, with them sitting down the table and a bunch of players downing tools on him because he'd pissed several of them off. One of those was their most valuable and productive players, who'd not had issues when winning titles under Conte (a disciplinarian) at Juve. Those same players, under a novice manager with very limited coaching ability is now 3 places above us, 3 points off a CL place.

And ManU he oversaw the purchase of Pogba 90m, Lukaku for 75m, a player he'd sold to Everton for 28m. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez at 500k a week and Fred at 50m and made scant us of them (Fred now playing regularly). We've seen two players he'd failed to utilise or develop at Chelsea, De Bruyne and Salah, come back to be two of the best in their positions in the PL. That is not good man management. It is short termism.

Casillas was past his best, but the issue there was he was incredibly popular in the dressing room, as was Ramos and Ronaldo, and by chipping away at these players and creating confrontation, he eventually created an unhappy dressing which became factional and divided into cliques. That is never going to create a sustainable working environment. He just about got away with it at Real because they had a bunch of the best players in the world, but the last 10 years his methods have been less successful.

As I said, this is is about "man management" not just "falling out" with players. And Mourinho has a long track recoded - that has got worse over the last ten years - of not managing his resources - players - particularly well or effectively.

Add to that his tactics, that were reasonably innovative to the PL 15 years ago, have become predictable and quite formulaic. I said this when he was managing Utd, it was always the same, start aggressive, try to get a lead, shell and counter. Against better sides, just skipping the aggressive first phase.

I just hope this enforced absence has given him time to at least get the old formula working cohesively, because up to now, we haven't even had that, it's just been a fucking mess.

All we need to know is Mourinho has a short shelf life. It's usually short but fruitful.
Let's hope he continues that trend so we all get to see Spurs win something.
Everyone should he happy with that and those that dislike him so much can sleep easy knowing 3 years and he's gone.
Short, fruitful and very expensive.

Has Mourinho ever won anything at a club based only on coaching ability and not big transfers?

Your English is better than most people on here!
😁

Yeah, probably why Madrid sold him, because he was the best at the time.
Your sarcasm doesn't help you. He was sold because of Real's galactico search saw them buy Kaka.

Sneijder was widely regarded as the best attacking midfielder in world football.

Of course Real never signed a player based solely on huge reputation...

More Fergie quotes about Pogba:

“Och, the wee boy Pogba?” Ferguson told Soccer on Sunday. “A reet lanky pile o’ shite. There’s noo doot aboot da. Haggis for breens. Nay touch, nay class, nay futball breen. And a barnet like a highland lassie’s moof. I couldnay wait to boot the wee poxbag oot.”

“The lad widnay last feev minutes in Glasgee with a big moof heed,” added the Scot. “There’s noo doot aboot da. Some kent wid glass the kent and leave him fir deed. I amnay talkin oot ma fanny flaps here.”

More Fergie quotes about Pogba:

“Och, the wee boy Pogba?” Ferguson told Soccer on Sunday. “A reet lanky pile o’ shite. There’s noo doot aboot da. Haggis for breens. Nay touch, nay class, nay futball breen. And a barnet like a highland lassie’s moof. I couldnay wait to boot the wee poxbag oot.”

“The lad widnay last feev minutes in Glasgee with a big moof heed,” added the Scot. “There’s noo doot aboot da. Some kent wid glass the kent and leave him fir deed. I amnay talkin oot ma fanny flaps here.”

Careful bus-conductor bus-conductor wont like it!!

Piers Morgan fan!

Porto debatable, Inter? He signed some huge names. Schnejder was probably the best Midfielder in Europe in that period.
He sold Ibra, his best and most expensive player, to be able to sign others. They were: Lúcio (31, free transfer), Eto'o (30, part of the deal), Sneijder (Madrid got rid of him for being injury-prone), Motta and Milito (28 and 30, both coming from Genoa). None of these players were on a high - that's why he could afford them. Even Eto'o, already a proven winner; Barcelona wanted to replace him with Ibra and that's why the deal was made in the first place.

It would be like selling Kane and buying some mid-table Premier League players plus others that were rejected from big clubs and squads like Madrid, Barcelona or PSG - and then winning absolutely everything with the result.

His Porto side had many players he brought from his former club, Leiria. Others, that went on to achieve great things later, like Deco and Carvalho, were nothing at the time he got there - Carvalho was almost out of the club in 2002, when they lost the local league to Benfica.

The team that beated Man Utd and won the Champions League - and the Europa League, and two portuguese leagues, and I don't know how many local cups and supercups - was:

Vitor Baía; Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho and Nuno Valente; Costinha, Pedro Mendes, Maniche and Deco; Carlos Alberto and Derlei.

He didn't spend anything in this team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom