Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shortsighted bollocks. It was the start of our downfall, when Pochettino gave up on his efficient, entertaining and fun style of play to be more pragmatic.

Hardly.... He'd have burned the squad out if he'd have kept it up much longer and we were never in a position to afford 22 world-class players in order for us to rotate wholesale and yet challenge on all fronts. As it was our league form faded badly at the tail end of his first 3 seasons. We needed a plan B... We were a more mature team in 17/18 and arguably all the better for it.

Poch lost his way tactically when he tried to accommodate 2 strikers and ended up with tunnel vision over his diamond.

2 games where we have conceded possesion and a shit ton of chances to Newcastle and Leicester, playing very defensive and hitting them with counter attacks. I did not like when Pochettino started playing like that against the likes of Real Madrid. Now we are doing it against Newcastle and Leicester. Pathetic.

Even winning big almost feels like a loss under this regime. Shit football.

Oh fuck off

2 games where we have conceded possesion and a shit ton of chances to Newcastle and Leicester, playing very defensive and hitting them with counter attacks. I did not like when Pochettino started playing like that against the likes of Real Madrid. Now we are doing it against Newcastle and Leicester. Pathetic.

But it’s not really the same.

We’ve conceded possession in the wide areas but back ourselves to clear anything that comes into the box. We let them knock it around in front of us, but it reduces the opposition to speculative chances from distance. No one is really playing through us.

It’s not what we’re used to, but it is disciplined.

It's all very well picking up these excellent wins now - but what worries me is that they came after we fluffed the big games we needed to win for Champions League football, against Man Utd, Sheff Utd and Bournemouth in particular.

Games to secure Europa League football don't have the same significance as games to secure Champions League football.

For me, the season is done. Europa happens if it happens, and we want to win every game we play regardless of timing. You could say the pressure is off, we already messed it up.
For Leicester this was a big big game for their Champions League hopes, and they made a dogs dinner of it. The pressure was on them and they bottled it. Just like we have a reputation for doing when playing in far more important games than it was for us today.

Looking at our recent results it's hard to contain my optimism for having turned a corner we ought to have turned many months ago. But it's when the games 'really' matter I want to see us winning like this.
Not that I want to take anything away from today's win - it was an excellent first half to watch.

It's all very well picking up these excellent wins now - but what worries me is that they came after we fluffed the big games we needed to win for Champions League football, against Man Utd, Sheff Utd and Bournemouth in particular.

Games to secure Europa League football don't have the same significance as games to secure Champions League football.

For me, the season is done. Europa happens if it happens, and we want to win every game we play regardless of timing. You could say the pressure is off, we already messed it up.
For Leicester this was a big big game for their Champions League hopes, and they made a dogs dinner of it. The pressure was on them and they bottled it. Just like we have a reputation for doing when playing in far more important games than it was for us today.

Looking at our recent results it's hard to contain my optimism for having turned a corner we ought to have turned many months ago. But it's when the games 'really' matter I want to see us winning like this.
Not that I want to take anything away from today's win - it was an excellent first half to watch.

We will hopefully see this same mentality in the big games going forward, promising signs though, hopefully it's an indication that the players are starting to learn from Jose what it takes to win.

It’s funny that the United 26% possession game was referenced today because I remember some of our supporters moaning about it back then.

Spurs beat a Ferguson managed Manchester United at Old Trafford - a ground we hadn’t won in 2 decades and regularly got destroyed at and this was the focus because it wasn’t the Spurs way.

Jesus wept

All the bickering aside, I tell you what I have just watched and that is a side that knew exactly what they were doing. Not just this game but the last 3 games we have seen an unchanged side and each and everyone of them players knew what was expected of them and worked as a well oiled team.
Who gives a fuck about possession, we used to have 70% possession and fail to break teams down. In the past week we have scored 8 goals and that’s because the players knew what to do, it was a plan that worked.

After watching Everton and Bournemouth, i though that’s it I can’t watch this, but the past 3 games have made me realise that Jose could well be the answer.
In The past, I’ve watched teams attack us and sat there thinking here comes a goal, but lately I’ve willed teams on to attack us so we can break away and score.. that’s exactly what’s happened and it’s been a pleasure to watch.
We had a settled back 4 and side that clicked, with an addition or two who knows.? I take my hat of to Jose and I am starting to think that we may have a way forward, a chance to win things, a winner, a manager with a vision.
I didn’t think I’d be saying this a couple of weeks ago but I actually think we should stick with Jose and watch what happens..
This is it billy, I have watched us have all the possession yet fail that score , yet today once the first went in I was confident of the win, back this guy in the summer and I think we end the drought!

Last edited:
But it’s not really the same.

We’ve conceded possession in the wide areas but back ourselves to clear anything that comes into the box. We let them knock it around in front of us, but it reduces the opposition to speculative chances from distance. No one is really playing through us.

It’s not what we’re used to, but it is disciplined.

Maybe it's just me, but I found home games against Watford, Villa & Newcastle with them directly by-passing our entire MF with an easy dink and then running at our back-peddling CBs anything but "entertaining" to watch.

No complains today, but a simple question: why not give Skipp 20/25 minutes today instead of 2?
Has to be because it’s professional to not change something that’s working. A pre season game sure agree give him minutes, but some of us have seen a Spurs team blow up @ 3-0 and it’s not nice. you can’t tell a team to be a “bunch of cunts” and then be all nice with your subs.

Keep in mind that Skipp would get more bonus for coming on to the pitch today, regardless of how many minutes he does.

That’s his reward for training hard and being part of the squad. He earned more today than any of us did, so don’t feel too sorry for him. We know what he can do otherwise he would be exactly where Ryan Sessengon is.

not digging you mate. Just how I see it

With a bit of luck, you won’t be turning up to the Lane or any away games when we get back in the grounds. Zzzzzz

Not even I’m this anti-Jose 😂

I don’t mind the counter attacking approach if the CF isn’t isolated and we support Kane quickly. This is the difference between parking the bus and what Simeone/Conte have been successful at.

Also Jose needs to accept Dier isn’t it and run with Sanchez & Toby

The one thing I will say about Jose, he's certainly piling pressure on himself. He clearly thrives on it.

He's gone out of his way to say this season is preparation for the next and that it reminds him of his time at Porto, when he went on to win everything.

He obviously has his faults and he will always have his detractors (I've struggled at points), but the *only* things he cares about is winning, and if he has an eye for players that share that drive, we might get somewhere with him.

I think the counter attacking system works now with our weak roster and to get us to a 4-7 range in the table.

i think long term it is a bad strategy to use, is unlikely to get us consistently in the top 4, presents issues against the top teams that will score against us and not give up the wide open chances and have issues against the bottom teams that are fine giving up possession and sitting back themselves.

I would hope that we have more ambitious goals than to grind our way to results and hope it can get us 4th. I hope that we have more ambitious goals to bring in players that have skill and creativity so we don't have to rely on other teams mistakes to create chance rather than our own abilities.

This style was perfect today against a Brenton coached team in which he is too stupid and tactically naive to change his approach when injuries occur. There aren't going to be enough managers that run out a back 3 of Evans-Morgan-Bennett and ask them to play a high line and defend out wide.

I applaud Jose for coming in and getting the results that he has, I think if we have him here next season we have a good chance at Europa League qualification again and I doubt we will spend much time 8th or below like we did this year but I doubt that we will challenge for the title and not just because our players are not good enough.

Shortsighted bollocks. It was the start of our downfall, when Pochettino gave up on his efficient, entertaining and fun style of play to be more pragmatic.

If the 442 diamond was Poch being pragmatic then he must have been huffing glue before every training session. If he’d been pragmatic he wouldn’t have played that deranged formation with Harry Winks as the defensive lynchpin.

Poch definitely tried to alter his tactics once our midfield fell apart, he gambled on the 442 being the best way to get Son and Kane scoring but it left us horribly exposed against even the most mediocre opponents. A true pragmatist would have seen how shambolic it was and dropped it quickly. We never looked secure playing that system.

The amount of whinging in here after a 3-0 win, a 3-1 win and a 2-1 win over the scum is ridiculous. Just look at where we are in the form table...

The Mourinho detractors keep moving the goal posts and pulling out every odd excuse they can think of. Some will just never appreciate defensive, counter attacking football. Fine, I get it. But he's our manager and we're winning matches, at least enjoy the good times.

I can't wait until we win a trophy, have a genuine feeling we will under Mourinho.

The cloud that still very much hangs over us since that CL final, the pain we all felt on that night (it still hurts even now) will soon be forgotten when we lift a trophy under Jose.

Back
Top Bottom