Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that last season was a wasted one for him. He'll never get the game time here he needs behind so many midfielders.

Pity that Mark Warburton isn't in charge of a London club anymore. Pritchard had a really good season with him at Brentford.

It's not hindsight to say that he should have gone on loan last season. He was never likely to get the game time. And when he did, he never showed what he's clearly capable of.

Bruce is a good manager. Really hope next season works out well for Josh there.

Personally don't think the rough and tumble of the championship will do him any harm. Loaning him out to a prem team runs the risk that if he doesn't hit the ground running he might immediately be benched and rely on small cameo's to make an impact.

When teams in the premier league begin to struggle, they revert to the tried and tested and assuming Onamah would only be loaned to a bottom 6-7 club I could easily see him being pushed out by players with experience or players who have experienced relegation dogfights.

Villa however are a very big club and still have a lot of pressure to succeed from the fans this season. I would also expect him to get a lot more game time. A promotion with Villa, if he was to play a big part would do wonders for his confidence as well (If of course Villa actually perform well this season.)

I guess Villa need him because of the injury to Grealish.
It is happening too late for him to play against Hull tomorrow I should think.
3 of their next 4 games are Cardiff, Reading and Norwich though, so it is a good standard.

I've heard from someone at the academy that Poch has changed his mind about sending players out on loan. He believes Onomah is at a stage where he can only improve by getting consistent game time.

I think Poch is right that some players benefit most from training with the first team. But I'm glad to hear he might be being more flexible where needed because some players just need game time and in Josh's case I think he needs to toughen up a bit and gain some aggression. Villa seems a good idea to me so long as he will get played.

I agree that last season was a wasted one for him. He'll never get the game time here he needs behind so many midfielders.

Pity that Mark Warburton isn't in charge of a London club anymore. Pritchard had a really good season with him at Brentford.

It's not hindsight to say that he should have gone on loan last season. He was never likely to get the game time. And when he did, he never showed what he's clearly capable of.

I get what you are saying but Winks came though last year, Winks has always been behind Onomah. It wasn't a waste for Winks not going out on loan.

It's a mine field as to the reasons why players breakthrough or not. Bottomline for me is the manager has one of the best track records in bringing young players through and then developing & nurturing them when they do, he's done it all of his managerial career. He also has a standard in which players need to meet to get selected or push for a place, if that is not met then their is no selection. If it is met then they are given the opportunity to play, not just against Wycombe but are trusted against Woolwich, Man U etc...

For me the single most important thing is to provide the environment that a young player can see opportunity is there and under Poch it is. If your good enough then the selection is guaranteed, if you are a notch down the opportunity to show is there (Carroll, Bentaleb, Mason) to become a pro but probably not at Spurs. If you are a rung below this your loaned and gone, there is a growing list in this category.

Final element and this is what I like most of all, is that there appears to be a very strong relationship formed with McDermott and Poch, this means that McDermott knows what Poch wants, so both are on the same page in. It should mean that McDermott is also on the same page as Poch when/if a player stays in the squad or goes out on loan.

Bright side ... would they have done this if they weren't confident about Lamela being available?
Or if we are signing someone else.
Maybe we'll see him playing in midfield for Villa.
Doesn't bode well for him though. Pochettino doesn't really loan players he wants to keep does he.
What young kid has gone out on loan and come back under Pochettino. I can't think of one of top of my head - I suppose someone will tell me :pochbye:but can think of these who didn't.
Ward, McGee, Yedlin, Pritchard, Milos, fredericks and Archer -but those two been out before. I think Walkes will get sold too.
Maybe the new contract is to get the best price.

Or if we are signing someone else.
Maybe we'll see him playing in midfield for Villa.
Doesn't bode well for him though. Pochettino doesn't really loan players he wants to keep does he.
What young kid has gone out on loan and come back under Pochettino. I can't think of one of top of my head - I suppose someone will tell me :pochbye:but can think of these who didn't.
Ward, McGee, Yedlin, Pritchard, Milos, fredericks and Archer -but those two been out before. I think Walkes will get sold too.
Maybe the new contract is to get the best price.
Lesniak I think is the only player to get a game having previously been loaned???? At a pinch you could say Pritchard but that was in a behind closed doors friendly at Hotspur Way.

It's the best move for him, another season playing 10 minutes now and then is not helping his development, he needs to be playing week in, week out. He is also going to a club where there is expectation and a large support, that should also develop his mental toughness.

Loans out didn't do rose or that other full back we sold to city any harm

I've heard from someone at the academy that Poch has changed his mind about sending players out on loan. He believes Onomah is at a stage where he can only improve by getting consistent game time.

I hope that is true, because I firmly believe that a player gets worse rather than better when he's reached a certain stage of his development and doesn't get game time. And I hope it's true because I hope this loan isn't a bye bye to our Onomah.

Based on the look on his face in the photo it's an optimistic kid going out on loan, not a defeated one.

I think this is just what he needs. Regular gametime in a physically demanding league. Good on you, Onomah!

Wanted to agree. But then I saw the sentence regarding Bruce.

can't understand why Poch has taken so long to let players go out on loan
they need to play in championship if he can't give them game time
this season it will be very hard to give young lads good game time
EPL & CL we need best players, that only leaves 1league cup game where a youngster can get game time (if we win then there is another game) but we need to win something this year
Maybe but we all know how stubborn poch is regarding doing things his way, I don't see how this changes just because this time it's a semi promising player

Just had a thought, isn't Jack Grealish out for a few months? It could be the reason why Poch has relented his stance on loans, as up to Christmas it probably means Onomah will play through the middle in place of Grealish. If they want to play Grealish when he's fit then a) It would be good for Josh to experience competition for the spot or b) We call him back with him played hopefully 15-20 games.

He likes playing CM. All summer we have been linked with an England international whose favoured position is through the middle. So that wasn't a positive for him.

Definitely the best move for him and the club in regards to his development. That league will get him competing every week.

Although I hate Villa with an irrational passion so I hope he doesn't inspire them to promotion.

Back
Top Bottom