Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have a feeling he'll end up staying in Spain and the new contract is only to protect his value if he goes well over there.

Barring one of the best La Liga debut seasons in history, I can't honestly see Jose giving him a chance here...which is the right decision IMO.

Have a feeling he'll end up staying in Spain and the new contract is only to protect his value if he goes well over there.

Barring one of the best La Liga debut seasons in history, I can't honestly see Jose giving him a chance here...which is the right decision IMO.
Bit of a paradox that he gets games for Argentina, but not Spurs.
I'll be sad if he goes, hes a skilful player.

I think he's in the same situation as Sessegnon, we need to see him play every week and develop before we can make a final decision. For a CB he is still really young and if he does well then there is no barrier to him playing for us in the future. I never had an issue with his play in the defensive third, he's aggressive and likes to play out. Even that famous match where he conceded two penalties, both were soft and he played well overall.

The issue with him is that he is prone to abandoning his post and trying to dribble through people, often losing the ball and conceding fouls. The game where Poch put him on at HT and he got sent off immediately after over-elaborating and then two-footing someone is a perfect example. When he got a big chance under Mou away at Norwich last season, he did the same thing, tried to walk into the opponent's half and gave a terrible ball away from which they scored and we drew the game. At our level we cannot accept mistakes like that. Of course we want our defenders to be aggressive and comfortable on the ball, but Foyth too often makes mistakes from simply being daft. This loan is a chance for him to develop his game without the pressure of playing for Tottenham.

Hope this helps his career. At times he seemed like a really skilful player but he had a period of several mistakes in games which seem to have killed his confidence. Good luck to the lad.

I think he's in the same situation as Sessegnon, we need to see him play every week and develop before we can make a final decision. For a CB he is still really young and if he does well then there is no barrier to him playing for us in the future. I never had an issue with his play in the defensive third, he's aggressive and likes to play out. Even that famous match where he conceded two penalties, both were soft and he played well overall.

The issue with him is that he is prone to abandoning his post and trying to dribble through people, often losing the ball and conceding fouls. The game where Poch put him on at HT and he got sent off immediately after over-elaborating and then two-footing someone is a perfect example. When he got a big chance under Mou away at Norwich last season, he did the same thing, tried to walk into the opponent's half and gave a terrible ball away from which they scored and we drew the game. At our level we cannot accept mistakes like that. Of course we want our defenders to be aggressive and comfortable on the ball, but Foyth too often makes mistakes from simply being daft. This loan is a chance for him to develop his game without the pressure of playing for Tottenham.
This is what the problem is, it’s not that he makes mistakes in the final third, it’s that he takes unnecessary risks sometimes like the Bournemouth game you mentioned.

He’ll only iron out those mental mistakes if he plays. There’s defo a good football player in there somewhere, he’s a good passer which is a big asset.

Needs t bulk up too.

I get this.

The club are clearly not sure so best to see if a run of games and confidence are the answer, and at a good club in Villareal.

Far better to allow him to try that elsewhere. If he does well his price goes up or we being him back.

Alderweireld has one more season, Dier is still hit and miss and the sane can be said of Sanchez. We need a ball playing centre back so this will hopefully enable him to find the balance between defending and carriage of the ball.

No risk policy as the 2 years is too long to sit out a contract with a World Cup only 2 years away.........hopefully!!
If he does well then they just exercise their option to buy for 15m euro. If he doesn't do well we'll never flog him off without taking a major loss and we have another year of contractual obligation.

I think Foyth may have demanded it as a condition to going.

All the best Juan..rather he got game time and made mistakes in la liga than with us (even a cup game). I think Jose will be monitoring him and it might not the the end of his time at Spurs.

The club have seen him playing for 3+ years, this is about shop window IMO, less so for Sessegnon IMO who I think has slightly more of a chance of a future at Tottenham if only because he is HG.

The issue I see with Foyth is that he's a jack of all trades and master of none. He's serviceable in all areas but also a liability at the same time.

Foyth, Sess and Clarke. Our policy of buying young players not ready for the first team has to be called into question. If it is to continue we need a better plan. Keeping them here without playing time or sending on loan and they do not get enough playing time is not good enough.

Hope he does well.... Little sad about the option to buy.... We may still be in the market for a new CB next summer... Would sting a bit to have to let him go if his game starts to click.

I know peeps will remember the brain-farts, but he's young, clearly has some ability and lacked game-time; suffered some untimely injuries.

Good luck, kid.

Foyth, Sess and Clarke. Our policy of buying young players not ready for the first team has to be called into question. If it is to continue we need a better plan. Keeping them here without playing time or sending on loan and they do not get enough playing time is not good enough.

.....Poch-factor.

This is what the problem is, it’s not that he makes mistakes in the final third, it’s that he takes unnecessary risks sometimes like the Bournemouth game you mentioned.

He’ll only iron out those mental mistakes if he plays. There’s defo a good football player in there somewhere, he’s a good passer which is a big asset.

Needs t bulk up too.
I think the bulking up part is key. Who at the top level (in any position) is built like him? Stack on some timber, add a good dose of discipline to his positional game, retain the ball playing skills and he could be a Ferdinand type CB, I think.

I never understood the use of squire...am I tending a knight? Owner of rural land? Just a very British way of saying pal? Little toss? Something else?

you can know a lot about Britain yet this little idioms always remain beyond your (mine in this case) understanding:mourshock:
Squire is a British term for a country landowner or gentleman. You can also use squire to describe a refined and powerful man.

Back
Top Bottom