Keep the Manager, Change the players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's wrong with playing for 90 minutes as an attacking force since that plays to our strengths?
To be honest with you, I have watched the game twice now, and all I can really say is it was helter-skelter/kids-in-a-playground/throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it stuff for that last 20 or 30 mins. I couldn't tell what kind of attacking shape we were supposed to have. I genuinely couldn't tell who was playing at LB/LWB (it could have been Alli at times for all I know) for the last 15 mins or so. I couldn't tell if we were playing with a RB or not. It was like a bunch of kids dosed up on Coca Cola and too many E numbers.

2 Things dear Sammy: 1) IIRC those occured before the wolves game and 2) the play in the first have was still shit but we got points. the writing was on the wall but it was no surprise you didn't see it as you were probably railing against something going the opposite way of the thing you were railing against the week before...and a bonus 3rd one for you, go back and re-watch those games and you will see that we were very fortunate vs Everton and Bournemouth. THEN you will see it was the players back then too. but glad you finally came along and realized it seeing as you thought Mou could fix it. Perhaps now you might actually gain better perspective into Poch's dilemma. Doubt it though seeing as your desire is not understanding in all of this.

We were shit that year and you don't want to see it because it would put paid to your claims about the Sammy summer even though you've already done that a million times by saying we needed player the next January. See?
This is funny because you say we were shit the you say the squad hasn’t regressed.
Personally I think 4th is better than 12th

To be honest with you, I have watched the game twice now, and all I can really say is it was helter-skelter/kids-in-a-playground/throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it stuff for that last 20 or 30 mins. I couldn't tell what kind of attacking shape we were supposed to have. I genuinely couldn't tell who was playing at LB/LWB (it could have been Alli at times for all I know) for the last 15 mins or so. I couldn't tell if we were playing with a RB or not. It was like a bunch of kids dosed up on Coca Cola and too many E numbers.

The way we play reminds me of how we played in kids teams. Used to play for a team when I was about 11, not a very good team but we won a few games often defending for our lives then booting the ball forward and nicking a goal. Sometime we just went for it but with very little structure. The way we play now reminds me of those kids games.

We also signed Ndombele and Locelso, who are nowhere near Sanchez. So mayyyybe it wouldnt have ben so bad.

Yea, one has been fit for 2 months out of 19 months here... sounds awesome. In terms of transfer cost and current outcome Lo Celso has been monumental flop - I hope he gets healthy and starts to kick ass, but huge question marks regarding him.

Other managed to turn it around but just quite recently, took him 15 months to be able to start two games in a row.

I’m amazed because for nearly two years I heard we had a shit squad and Poch wasn’t backed he performed Miracles.

Now all those players who were called shit and Champo were suddenly all top 4
Yeah it was shit if we wanted to win CL’s and league titles which Poch got slaughtered for.

it’s not that shit that it should be fucking 9th after £90mil of investment on 9 new players during a global pandemic

Heres one reason (well - 25 reasons really)

EUROPEAN-TROPHIES
Manchester United:
Europa League Winners, (23/05/2017)
Real Madrid:
Copa del Rey Winners, (2011-04-20)
Internazionale FC:
UEFA Champions League Winners, (2010-05-22)
Coppa Italia Winners, (2010-05-05)
Italian Super Cup Winners, (2008-08-24)
FC Porto:
UEFA Champions League Winners, (2004-05-26)
SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions, (2003-08-10)
Cup of Portugal Winners, (2003-08-01)
UEFA Cup Winners, (2003-05-21)
DOMESTIC-TROPHIES
Manchester United:
League Cup Winners, (25/03/2017)
Chelsea:
League Cup Winners, (2015-03-01)
FA Cup Winners, (2007-05-19)
League Cup Winners, (2007-02-25)
Community Shield Winners, (2005-08-07)
League Cup Winners, (2005-02-25)
LEAGUE-TITLES
Chelsea:
Barclays Premier League Champions, (2015-05-24)
Barclays Premiership Champions, (28/05/2006)
Barclays Premiership Champions, (2005-05-15)
Real Madrid:
La Liga, (2012-05-13)
Internazionale FC:
Italian Serie A Champions, (2010-05-16)
Italian Serie A Champions, (2009-05-31)
FC Porto:
Portuguese Liga Champions, (2004-05-09)
Portuguese Liga Champions, (2003-05-30)

That’s not a reason to keep him at Spurs though.

That’s a reason he ranks high on all time lists, a reason Inter, Chelsea and Porto fans love him, but it means fuck all for us.

You only get what you pay for, our investment in the last few years have been average players at an average price .
Compare the spending of Liverpool, Man C, Chelsea ect, we have spent pennies.
We are now reaping what we sow.
Unfortunately our peak was a few years ago when we should have won a trophy but failed.
Its going to be a slow, long slog or ( and I am hoping, wishing) Levy will open up the cheque book and Give Jose what he needs to be successful, because that is what jose is good at...buying trophies

Spurs are a non-cheque book club?

When was the last time one of those won anything?
Leicester the league, Woolwich annoyingly several FA cups. In fact I wouldn’t call Liverpool a cheque book club
Bayern Munich in context of Champions League are not

Now I am not saying cheque book clubs are not more successful. I am not saying I wouldn’t be happy to splash the cash. But if we need to spend big, which we do, but irrespective will not spend big ,Jose is not the right fit

Leicester the league, Woolwich annoyingly several FA cups. In fact I wouldn’t call Liverpool a cheque book club
Bayern Munich in context of Champions League are not

Now I am not saying cheque book clubs are not more successful. I am not saying I wouldn’t be happy to splash the cash. But if we need to spend big, which we do, but irrespective will not spend big ,Jose is not the right fit
I appreciate I have answered your question the wrong way round

So PSG the league every year yawn

Barca and Real other than this year dominate La Liga
City/ Chelsea / Utd have dominated prem until Klopp

I appreciate I have answered your question the wrong way round

So PSG the league every year yawn

Barca and Real other than this year dominate La Liga
City/ Chelsea / Utd have dominated prem until Kloppa
Anyway to conclude non cheque book clubs, don’t win with cheque book managers, apart from us they don’t employ them
You could argue Everton have a manager who has worked for cheque book clubs I guess

If Spurs keep changing managers as your enemies in the media would want, Tottenham will never achieve anything.

Losing Jan Vertongen (for free) is coming home to some fans on here of how stupid that decison was. Unfortunately, Mourinho wasn't around long enough to overrule Levy's ageist policy and hadn't seen Vertongen in the partial season when he took over.
I would go for a stronmg centre-back like Westergaard of Southampton along with Alderveireld as Spurs' future, and José should cease subbing Ndombele as he used to do to Juan Mata when he was at United, having some private joke about not giving him 90 minutes.

I also have doubts about Lloris. There's a really good goalie in Iceland Thor Halldorssen I think. He is 36 but with keepers you don't apply ageism so maybe 4 seasons in him. Also give Joe Hart a chance.
Make Harry Kane captain seems obvious - he wears his heart on the sleeve every match with no help and refs allowing him to get beaten up.

If I was a Tottenham player I would be so depressed having 12 men against you every match, the refs (& media) hating Tottenham. Spurs cannot get the free kicks Chelsea & Woolwich get, where the slightest touch brings them down and you can get away with doing a red card foul and only get a yellow. Spurs are being bullied by every team in the PL because everyone knows you can get away with murder against Tottenham Hotspur - even the fans don't even stand up for them.

I really believe it is anti-semitism in the FA and it's about time somebody made that accusation against the governing body and see if anything changes.

But keep Mourinho and get rid of the lightweights in the squad.

If Spurs keep changing managers as your enemies in the media would want, Tottenham will never achieve anything.

I ignore the nonsense about 12 men and anti-semitism which is absolutely insane and respond to this nonsense instead.

Keep changing managers?

Poch was here for 4+ seasons before Jose. It is not like we are Chelsea going with a new manager every year. It is likely that the new guy we get will be looked at as a likely long term solution and my guess will be here at a minimum of 5 years.

Jose is a short term manager wherever he goes. The situation he came into likely was always going to be short term based on him and where the team was at.

Sacking Jose now doesn't mean we are churning through managers hurting the team with the constant change. Keeping a terrible manager after he has been here for a year and half because you don't want to have some BS notion that its too much turnover is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom