Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree. Had a poor final season but still a technically proficient footballer. He offers something different from Aurier - they both have weaknesses but I don't think we've improved on him. Perhaps he needed (or wanted) a change.
I don't know why he left, there were stories about him and Poch not having the best relationship. Since him and Walker we've had Aurier and Doherty who are both worse players than those 2.

It's no wonder our team has got worse, we've just failed to replace adequately too many of the players we relied on between 2016-2018 when we were actually quite good.

I don't know why he left, there were stories about him and Poch not having the best relationship. Since him and Walker we've had Aurier and Doherty who are both worse players than those 2.

It's no wonder our team has got worse, we've just failed to replace adequately too many of the players we relied on between 2016-2018 when we were actually quite good.

That second paragraph is so true. We’ve let good players go which in some circumstances is for the best, but we’ve replaced them with worse. Defence in particular seems to have been hardest hit. With Rose, Jan and (so far) Toby not being adequately upgraded on either.

We failed to replace Walker I completly agree with but let's not lose sight of the fact that there were loads of fans that slagged him off on a weekly basis!!!! "Stupid this, stupid that" "brain dead fuck"; "if it wasn't for his pace" this or that.

Aurier however has and always has been and currently is better than Tripps. As a FB enthusiast absolutely nothing will change my mind on that. (Doherty is absolutely dogshit and worse than both KWP and Tripps). On the plus side I've really enjoyed watching Maksim Paskotsi so far during pre-season, there's a player there alright, he's done more both with and without the ball than Doherty has during the preseason that's for sure.

We failed to replace Walker I completly agree with but let's not lose sight of the fact that there were loads of fans that slagged him off on a weekly basis!!!! "Stupid this, stupid that" "brain dead fuck"; "if it wasn't for his pace" this or that.
Yes - ignored them then and now, because to anyone sentient watching it was obvious Walker was very good, despite the odd error. Miles above what we've had since.

FWIW not much in it between Tripps and Aurier for me. Both have clear strengths and weaknesses. Aurier is obviously faster and gets up and down the wing but Tripps has very good dead ball skills and crossing. Doherty has been a disappointment.

Yes - ignored them then and now, because to anyone sentient watching it was obvious Walker was very good, despite the odd error. Miles above what we've had since.

FWIW not much in it between Tripps and Aurier for me. Both have clear strengths and weaknesses. Aurier is obviously faster and gets up and down the wing but Tripps has very good dead ball skills and crossing. Doherty has been a disappointment.
Tripps on deadball I 100% agree, but he didn't do that at Spurs, literally the odd corner, did he ever take a free kick? His crossing is a total myth, he delivered them way, way too early on account he couldn't dribble past oppo, this meant his % of completed crosses was woeful. Aurier has something like over double the number of assists as Tripps from crosses (I can't recall the exact number but almost all of Tripp's assists for Spurs weren't from crosses!! I did like his ball he played around the corner to a player coming from in to out, this was a well-orchestrated move that worked and he created a few chances via this).

Tripps on deadball I 100% agree, but he didn't do that at Spurs, literally the odd corner, did he ever take a free kick? His crossing is a total myth, he delivered them way, way too early on account he couldn't dribble past oppo, this meant his % of completed crosses was woeful. Aurier has something like over double the number of assists as Tripps from crosses (I can't recall the exact number but almost all of Tripp's assists for Spurs weren't from crosses!! I did like his ball he played around the corner to a player coming from in to out, this was a well-orchestrated move that worked and he created a few chances via this).
I think he scored against Fulham from a free kick - we should have used this ability much more.

Aurier however has and always has been and currently is better than Tripps. As a FB enthusiast absolutely nothing will change my mind on that. (Doherty is absolutely dogshit and worse than both KWP and Tripps). On the plus side I've really enjoyed watching Maksim Paskotsi so far during pre-season, there's a player there alright, he's done more both with and without the ball than Doherty has during the preseason that's for sure.
100% agree with you. And your very specific wording. A much better fullback. Doherty is Tramanzani levels of incompetent

To be fair, if Walker didn't have his pace and power he would be average at best. But such is his pace and strength, along with his endurance, that those elite level attributes lift him into the world-class category. His issue has always been concentration, or a lack of at times, which lead to some very sloppy moments. But there isn't a full-back in the world as good at recovery as he is.

I actually prefer him on the right of a back three.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was a bad day's business when we let him go. Like all the England players that returned from the World Cup, he looked tired and was carrying an injury for most of the season. It might not have mattered too much if we had a decent replacement, but we didn't and still don't.

To be fair, if Walker didn't have his pace and power he would be average at best. But such is his pace and strength, along with his endurance, that those elite level attributes lift him into the world-class category. His issue has always been concentration, or a lack of at times, which lead to some very sloppy moments. But there isn't a full-back in the world as good at recovery as he is.

I never forgot a radio interview where a fitness coach for the team GB athletics squad was asked of all the hundreds of athletes he'd worked with who was the physically best specimen...he said without any hesitation Kyle Walker. That he had never met anyone with his recovery speed endurance and explosiveness he said he'd crush any sport he attempted. I was like 😳

I never forgot a radio interview where a fitness coach for the team GB athletics squad was asked of all the hundreds of athletes he'd worked with who was the physically best specimen...he said without any hesitation Kyle Walker. That he had never met anyone with his recovery speed endurance and explosiveness he said he'd crush any sport he attempted. I was like 😳

It's very easy to imagine him as an athlete if he wasn't a footballer. Probably a hurdler. Sad times that we went from Walker and Trippier to Aurier and Doherty.

It's like bedding the Olsen twins and then French and Saunders years later.

It's very easy to imagine him as an athlete if he wasn't a footballer. Probably a hurdler. Sad times that we went from Walker and Trippier to Aurier and Doherty.

Yep 110 meter hurdles. When you think of the athletes that bloke had worked with and said not one came close to Walker. We got done by city. A brought utter junk to replace him

But that's like saying if it wasn't for Hugo's superb reaction time he would be average. Bale wouldn't have been Bale without his pace on the wing for Spurs. His pace doesn't just allow him to recover he also can use it to dominate his opposite number, literally running them into the ground until they can run no more (so Adnam Tarore is really fast but he doesn't have Walkers athletism to sustain it across 90 mins). At City he's also shown his versatility, where he's their deepest player, previously also coming into midfield as the AM's went wide. (For England too he's now our last man, I thought he was probably our best player in Euro's a couple of other contenders too).

In all his time as a pro he's never conceded a penalty until towards the end of last season, that's 17 years, nearly 500 games! Yet to listen to people talk about him as a walking liability, I genuinely don't understand it. There are few better RB's than him and he's been at this level for nearly a decade.

Have you seen the Olsen twins lately?

But that's like saying if it wasn't for Hugo's superb reaction time he would be average. Bale wouldn't have been Bale without his pace on the wing for Spurs. His pace doesn't just allow him to recover he also can use it to dominate his opposite number, literally running them into the ground until they can run no more (so Adnam Tarore is really fast but he doesn't have Walkers athletism to sustain it across 90 mins). At City he's also shown his versatility, where he's their deepest player, previously also coming into midfield as the AM's went wide. (For England too he's now our last man, I thought he was probably our best player in Euro's a couple of other contenders too).

In all his time as a pro he's never conceded a penalty until towards the end of last season, that's 17 years, nearly 500 games! Yet to listen to people talk about him as a walking liability, I genuinely don't understand it. There are few better RB's than him and he's been at this level for nearly a decade.

I've always been a big fan of Walker, but he does have brain farts too often. It's annoying because all it is, is a lack of concentration and composure, things he could and should have ironed out of his game years ago.

That's not to say he isn't top class though still, regardless.

Trippier went because when we had Poch’s system Tippier was simply too slow and constantly got caught in behind making him the weak link of the defence. Under a deeper system like Jose or perhaps let’s see with Nuno that would have been less of a problem.

All our right backs have had issues even Walker. The best full back at their peak I have seen was Rose with us. Let hope Tomiyasu gets done and does the business and Regulion is able to live upto his talent.

Back
Top Bottom