Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mean, this seems like the smartest option.

HG, Spurs fan and has a bit more experience under his belt.

I'd agree.

At Spurs :
PL - 9 starts, 3 off the bench
FA Cup - 4 starts, 2 off bench
League Cup - 3 starts
CL - 2 starts, 1 off bench
Total Spurs - 18 starts plus 9 off bench (but over 3 seasons)

Think he's had 3 MOTM awards in there.

Add Southampton in PL - 2 starts, 2 off the bench.

Never really understood why Poch seemed to avoid using him - other than Poch seemed to like bigger players.

Provided Mourhino doesn't dislike KWP, he's got enough experience to be a rotation RB.

Just need to buy a RB and sell the mock right winger we seem to have as nobody trusted his defending.

He is technically sound but seems to lack the aggression needed to make it at the top level.

I think he needs a proper year long loan to prove himself. Tonight could just be the start. Danny Rose was unfancied and went out on loan at 22 and came back a decent left back. Having followed Walker-Peters through the youth teams I actually think his ceiling is higher, just have reservations as to whether he will ever get there.

He's been brilliant.

Would like those who want us to drop £20,000,000+ on Aarons to tell me why they think he's any better than Walker-Peters?
Match experience, but that's no one's fault but Spurs. I think we still need a RB, but a DM for a 4-3-3 is more important.

He is technically sound but seems to lack the aggression needed to make it at the top level.

I think he needs a proper year long loan to prove himself. Tonight could just be the start. Danny Rose was unfancied and went out on loan at 22 and came back a decent left back. Having followed Walker-Peters through the youth teams I actually think his ceiling is higher, just have reservations as to whether he will ever get there.
That's it in a nutshell. He needs to watch a Danny Rose compilation.
He's not ready to play for Spurs but after a year's loan..who knows?

That's it in a nutshell. He needs to watch a Danny Rose compilation.
He's not ready to play for Spurs but after a year's loan..who knows?
What does this mean?

He just put in a MOTM performance in a PL game against Man City. Arguably the best attacking team in the league.

I'll give you he needs to do it more consistently. But frankly he is good enough to be a Spurs player now. Always was IMO.

Absolutely daft if we flog him. Especially as he is HG, supports Spurs (people may think what does that matter, but it makes him less inclined to pull an Aurier and decide he just won't bother putting effort in and watch the oppo just score), and actually a better all round RB than Tripps, Aurier and Aarons.

By keeping him, it allows us to address the DM issue properly if we want to get a higher calibre player for the DM role. Otherwise we may end up spreading the kitty too thin and spending money on 2 average players for 2 positions. Instead of 1 quality player for 1 position.

Last edited:
Sterling was in his back pocket, going forward he isn't adventurous but we know this from time with us except Vs Newcastle, if he's not what we want them straight swap with Hojbjerg would be fair

Really?

Can't remember if it was Bournemouth or Southampton. But he had a hattrick of assists in that game at Wembley. If TAA did this, the media would be wanking themselves silly over it.

Trust me he is plenty good enough going forward. He has more quality in his final delivery than Aurier. I've seen him through the youth teams and he always had that quality.

One thing that he lacks is a turn of pace and upper body strength. He got barged off the ball by De Bruyne today. Also by Ousmane Dembele against Barca last season in the CL at the Nou Camp which led to a goal. He got crucified for it. But actually his performance as someone making their debut in a huge match like that where we needed a result was actually very good overall. It takes character as a kid to bounce back from a mistake like that in that kind of environment.

That can be easily fixed by more gym sessions and bulking up a bit.

I remember watching Harry Kane in the youth teams. He was like a twig, get bullied off the ball all the time. Even when he went on loan to Millwall, Orient, Norwich it happened. But he realised he needed to become stronger. When he got that long injury at Norwich, he hit the gym. Harry's rise came about because of this. If you listen to the youth team coaches and players he played with like Andros Townsend, they all say he has developed much more than what they thought his ceiling was. Myself included.
I remember watching him play in an FA youth cup game against Man Utd at OT. Just got bullied all game but he scored because he always had a natural finishing ability.

That layoff after Norwich was a blessing for him. He came back with more upper body strength and developed as an all round striker. Holding up the ball, bringing others into play, added to that finishing ability. This coincided with Sherwood giving him a chance in the first team and the rest is history for him.

I genuinely believe a few more gym sessions and bulking up will make KWP a brilliant all round player and much better defender for it.

Last edited:
Lol a few months ago everyone was saying he's a championship level player.

Now he puts in a couple decent performances for Southampton, who have literally nothing to play for, and all of a sudden he's good enough?

I think he needs at least another year of development before he's anywhere near the level we need.

Really?

Can't remember if it was Bournemouth or Southampton. But he had a hattrick of assists in that game at Wembley. If TAA did this, the media would be wanking themselves silly over it.

Trust me he is plenty good enough going forward. He has more quality in his final delivery than Aurier. I've seen him through the youth teams and he always had that quality.

One thing that he lacks is a turn of pace and upper body strength. He got barged off the ball by De Bruyne today. Also by Ousmane Dembele against Barca last season in the CL at the Nou Camp which led to a goal. He got crucified for it. But actually his performance as someone making their debut in a huge match like that where we needed a result was actually very good overall. It takes character as a kid to bounce back from a mistake like that in that kind of environment.

That can be easily fixed by more gym sessions and bulking up a bit.

I remember watching Harry Kane in the youth teams. He was like a twig, get bullied off the ball all the time. Even when he went on loan to Millwall, Orient, Norwich it happened. But he realised he needed to become stronger. When he got that long injury at Norwich, he hit the gym. Harry's rise came about because of this. If you listen to the youth team coaches and players he played with like Andros Townsend, they all say he has developed much more than what they thought his ceiling was. Myself included.
I remember watching him play in an FA youth cup game against Man Utd at OT. Just got bullied all game but he scored because he always had a natural finishing ability.

That layoff after Norwich was a blessing for him. He came back with more upper body strength and developed as an all round striker. Holding up the ball, bringing others into play, added to that finishing ability. This coincided with Sherwood giving him a chance in the first team and the rest is history for him.

I genuinely believe a few more gym sessions and bulking up will make KWP a brilliant all round player and much better defender for it.
I thought is was against Newcastle as mentioned, also bulking up isn't as easy as people think, because being an athlete you have to stay within a certain percentage of bodyfat & putting on a couple kilos of muscle can take yeas with how strict there diets are

I thought is was against Newcastle as mentioned, also bulking up isn't as easy as people think, because being an athlete you have to stay within a certain percentage of bodyfat & putting on a couple kilos of muscle can take yeas with how strict there diets are
You are correct that he got a MOTM against Newcastle. But that was the first game of the season 2018/19.

In that same season he also got a hattrick of assists against Bournemouth I think.

The point is, he is good enough going forward. He has more quality than Aurier. You just don't see him in advanced positions as much because he plays traditional RB.
Not the WB position that Aurier has.

You are correct that he got a MOTM against Newcastle. But that was the first game of the season 2018/19.

In that same season he also got a hattrick of assists against Bournemouth I think.

The point is, he is good enough going forward. He has more quality than Aurier. You just don't see him in advanced positions as much because he plays traditional RB.
Not the WB position that Aurier has.

Today he was clearly instructed to sit back for the most part. They were playing Man City so makes sense. Will be fun to watch the rest of the year to see if he gets further up. I have seen Valery get higher up and Cedric was adventurous.

Yeah we need more attacking fullbacks I think we can both agree on, and with the bulking up, he would need to put on 10-15kg muscle to make a serious difference, trust me building lean muscle takes a along time

10-15 kg is way over the top for a kid that weighs ~65 kg. He'd end up a slug. The dietitians aren't going to throw him on some dirty eating diet to beef up, so I don't think concerns about some athletic body fat % will be an issue.

I don't really understand the "wasted his time" comments. If he's playing well now then sure it means his time wasn't wasted and he's developed well!! He's only just turned 23 for fuck sake.

What comment is that?

Subject to context I'd agree.... He's largely been wasting away, doing nothing for 3 years,

Back
Top Bottom