Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he's playing well and he's now getting mins at Southampton then that shows that his time being developed with the first team at Hotspur Way is actually paying dividends.

That assumes he couldn't have done a similar job for them a year or two ago....

Not saying you're wrong, but that's a pretty immeasurable claim from our limited perspective.

Last edited:
That assumes he couldn't have done a similar job for them a year or two....

Not saying you're wrong, but that's pretty immeasuable claim from our limited perspective.
The entire point is that if he's playing well then his development has been right for him. It's successful, not unsuccessful.

He was under a manager who has a track record of playing young players if he feels the time is right for them to do so.

It's still early days for him of course, this is only his 2nd start(??) but on the basis that the view of him is that he's playing well then he is a product of that development that enables him to play well. This is quantifiable, anything else is purely speculative and assumptive.

Finally someone who has a brain
And even if he was 10/10 this game , all players can have 1 good game. Weird how kneejerk our fans are saying he has 1 good game and now he should start for us :wall:

The better he plays , the less we pay for Hojberg .-.
The most obvious thing about the abnormal playing conditions, we are experiencing is that young players have actually enjoyed it. There is way less pressure on young players it will make loads of them. However some will peak and fade just as quickly when the crowd return. It's very much like summer tournament football a world cup, and a load of bad buys come out of those.

Why is added bulk being noticeable to fans important? He’s not becoming a bodybuilder, just needs to get stronger so he can be a bit more dominant on the field - we’re talking only a few kg here which is easily manageable in an off season
It's not to me, your friend who quoted you said earlier he needs to bulk up, and he would only know if it's complete by looking at him, not a conversation to have with me mate

The entire point is that if he's playing well then his development has been right for him. It's successful, not unsuccessful.

My point is could he be playing better by now with even more minutes under his belt...?

At the age of 23 having had virtually no competitive football for 3 years; I remain at odds with your assumption it was what's best for him.

Has it hurt him? I hope not...... Does he stil have a future with us? I hope so.

He was under a manager who has a track record of playing young players if he feels the time is right for them to do so.

It's still early days for him of course, this is only his 2nd start(??) but on the basis that the view of him is that he's playing well then he is a product of that development that enables him to play well. This is quantifiable, anything else is purely speculative and assumptive.

It doesn't mean that he hasn't been able to potentially play at this level for years now though. He could have been "ready" and have "developed" years ago and been merely stagnating due to lack of playing time. Strictly speaking, your inference is based on fallacious reasoning.

My point is could he be playing better by now with even more minutes under his belt...?

At the age of 23 having had virtually no competitive football for 3 years; I remain at odds with your assumption it was what's best for him.

Has it hurt him? I hope not...... Does he stil have a future with us? I hope so.
But you absolutely do not know that! It's complete guesswork to suggest that had he been loaned out he would have developed further/faster.

If he was loaned out 2 years ago they could have been complete failures, he could have ended up being developed by Warnock or Pulis. We don't know what his development plan was, each player has one and decisions are taken specifically with each player. Dependant on what's in the plan then that decides where they are best developed at Spurs or away from Spurs.

What we do know is (well we are jumping the gun as let's face it's been TWO starts) that he's playing well in those games. Therefore his development has gone well. To suggest otherwise is based on nothing other than speculation, as for every player that's loan is good, there are more that can be pointed out as one poorly.

It doesn't mean that he hasn't been able to potentially play at this level for years now though. He could have been "ready" and have "developed" years ago and been merely stagnating due to lack of playing time. Strictly speaking, your inference is based on fallacious reasoning.
You have absolutely nothing to back that up to other than speculating that he was ready 2 years ago.

We do know that he's playing well (still too early to be conclusive) during his first loan. Meaning he's ready now and that's testament to his development at Spurs not in spite of it.

But you absolutely do not know that!

Huh?

"My point is could he be playing better by now with even more minutes under his belt...?"

Which part of that is a claim of knowledge? (Answer: None.)

By the same token, I'm no more lacking knowledge than you are in your assumption that 3 years without competitive football was the best thing for him....

Him doing "well" in couple of games with S"oton doesn't co-oberate your theory; he was already doing "well" when he was scooping MOTM awards & assists in Lilywhite.

Err....that's not quite the soundest of logic. Just because a player plays well now, doesn't mean he couldn't have played well 2 years ago. That's speculation. In KWP's case he played well on his first couple of appearances, 3 years ago. But was then mothballed. Clearly had flaws but then so did Aurier.

He also wasn't under a manager with a track record of playing young players. He was playing under a manager that had a track record for not playing academy players much, whilst at the same time not allowing them to go on loan.

Hahah, this place is awesome.

Sanchez almost does not put a foot wrong in first 180 minutes = long term CB sorted!!
Sanchez has 1 poor game = fuck, him, I've always told he's not good enough. Sell right now!!

KWP sitting on Soton bench = I've told he is no good at that level
KWP has 1 stellar game against strong side = glory-glory hallelujah, RB position sorted for 10 years, bring the kid back!!

No middle ground, is there?
I am happy the lad is doing well. And it would be freakin awesome if he'd raise his levels a lot and would become successful and nailed on starter for Spurs. But let's maybe hold our horses a bit? We've seen flashes of ability from him before. But then again we have also seen him being pushed away from the ball by physically strong players like he wasn't there. There are gaps in his skill-set and build. I personally am not too optimistic about him cutting it on higher level than midtable team such as Soton (or currently - us. though our aims should be higher).

Huh?

"My point is could he be playing better by now with even more minutes under his belt...?"

Which part of that is a claim of knowledge? (Answer: None.)

By the same token, I'm no more lacking knowledge than you are in your assumption that 3 years without competitive football was the best thing for him....

Him doing "well" in couple of games with S"oton doesn't co-oberate your theory; he was already doing "well" when he was scooping MOTM awards & assists in Lilywhite.
It's total speculation. You do not know the outcome of something that didn't happen.

I'm saying what we do know is he's playing well today. And if he's playing well today you can only point to his development and training that he's been doing the last couple of years. These are facts, no speculation. Had he gone to Southampton and not get any mins or play consistently shit, yeah there's grounds to say he wasted 3yrs at Hotspur Way.

Err....that's not quite the soundest of logic. Just because a player plays well now, doesn't mean he couldn't have played well 2 years ago. That's speculation. In KWP's case he played well on his first couple of appearances, 3 years ago. But was then mothballed. Clearly had flaws but then so did Aurier.

He also wasn't under a manager with a track record of playing young players. He was playing under a manager that had a track record for not playing academy players much, whilst at the same time not allowing them to go on loan.
Poch's record across Southampton & Spurs is littered with you'd players playing. You wanted him to play more, you thought he should have played more, fine but his record speaks for itself.

The logic his based solely on what we know:
1) He's getting starts for a PL side and he's had good games in them
2) He has been receiving his development at Hotspur Way

I've no idea if a loan earlier would have been better for his development NO ONE DOES! No one can say otherwise because what's it based on?

It's total speculation. You do not know the outcome of something that didn't happen.

It's a perfectly reasonable question, FFS.

That was already clearly pointed out in the post you've just replied to. My position isn't based on a claiming a fact..... Why be so willfully ignorant of this?

I'm saying what we do know is he's playing well today. And if he's playing well today you can only point to his development and training that he's been doing the last couple of years. These are facts, no speculation. Had he gone to Southampton and not get any mins or play consistently shit, yeah there's grounds to say he wasted 3yrs at Hotspur Way.

Unless you're claiming he is better now than he was against Newcastle on opening day 3 years ago, you have no reasonable grounds to cite successful development

...And if you are then please quantify it.

It's a perfectly reasonable question, FFS.

That was already clearly pointed out in the post you've just replied to. My position isn't based on a claiming a fact..... Why be so willfully ignorant of this?

Unless you're claiming he is better now than he was against Newcastle on opening day 3 years ago, you have no reasonable grounds to cite successful development

...And if you are then please quantify it.
Of course it's a reasonable question, I haven't said it wasn't.

I'm saying it's complete speculation for anyone to claim that had he have been loaned out sooner then he would have developed faster/early/better. What we do know is he's playing well today, and that's a product to his development at Hotspur Way. Ther is no other development other than this in his career to date.

He might have played sooner...we don't know. We will never know because it didn't happen. So the point is if you read my first post is everyone is speculating on the fact that he's wasted the past 3 years of his development.

It's successful (and that's actually way to early to claim and something I'm NOT claiming at all) if he's playing well today in the minutes he's been given.

Back
Top Bottom