Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What comment is that?

Subject to context I'd agree.... He's largely been wasting away, doing nothing for 3 years,
He's been training with the first team all this time mate. Training with an elite manager and team that was playing at the top of the table. That's not wasted time, that's clearly time well spent if he's playing well.

Lol a few months ago everyone was saying he's a championship level player.

Now he puts in a couple decent performances for Southampton, who have literally nothing to play for, and all of a sudden he's good enough?

I think he needs at least another year of development before he's anywhere near the level we need.

Agree. A lot of the matches now are little more than glorified pre season friendlies. There's nothing left in the league for City to play for, nor Southampton really. If he puts in some good performances, hopefully that will increase the fee we'll get for him. He's not up to the level we need though.

He's been training with the first team all this time mate. Training with an elite manager and team that was playing at the top of the table. That's not wasted time, that's clearly time well spent if he's playing well.

You don't think he'd be a better player by now with 3 years senior gametime under his belt?

Love Poch to bits but he really dropped the ball on KWP. Start of 17/18 season when Walker had been sold and KWP put in that motm performance against Newcastle we either shouldnt have signed Aurier or once Aurier was here Walker-Peters should have had a season loan at a good championship side. They'd have been queing up after that Newcastle game. That decision has cost him 3 years of his career. Now the sensible thing to do would be to flog Aurier and bring in another right back. If thats Aarons so bit it. We did similar with Routledge and Lennon. Have them fight it out to be first choice.

You don't think he'd be a better player by now with 3 years senior gametime under his belt?
I tipped KWP to be a player whilst he was still in the academy, one of about 5 players who stood out. But I've no idea how to answer that question, the only people that can are KWP and those at Hotspur Way who work with him every day.

I don't know his character, but from afar he strikes me as quite timid or shy (total and utter guesswork), if this is the case sending him out in front of 60k people might have proved difficult. Maybe in the games he played in he felt too nervous??? In the mins he was given he certainly wasn't the player that was at the academy, I don't think he had a single poor game, even when he had bad moments like against Barca he played himself back into the game, but he wasn't playing with the attacking confidence he did in the academy. He rarely looked to dribble past players for instance, a feature of his game and what made him stand out.

If you have a kid who's struggling with a subject at school, do you send them out into the workplace or do you have them spend time with extra lessons until they are confident and ready to go out into the workplace?

I tipped KWP to be a player whilst he was still in the academy, one of about 5 players who stood out. But I've no idea how to answer that question, the only people that can are KWP and those at Hotspur Way who work with him every day.

I don't know his character, but from afar he strikes me as quite timid or shy (total and utter guesswork), if this is the case sending him out in front of 60k people might have proved difficult. Maybe in the games he played in he felt too nervous??? In the mins he was given he certainly wasn't the player that was at the academy, I don't think he had a single poor game, even when he had bad moments like against Barca he played himself back into the game, but he wasn't playing with the attacking confidence he did in the academy. He rarely looked to dribble past players for instance, a feature of his game and what made him stand out.

If you have a kid who's struggling with a subject at school, do you send them out into the workplace or do you have them spend time with extra lessons until they are confident and ready to go out into the workplace?

I'd agree more if he wasn't 23 already.

Even when he played well (which like you say, was most of the time) he wasn't rewarded with more gametime..... Hardly a way to fill him with self belief is it.

I haven't checked but I'm assuming he's lost his England place by now....

Agree. A lot of the matches now are little more than glorified pre season friendlies. There's nothing left in the league for City to play for, nor Southampton really. If he puts in some good performances, hopefully that will increase the fee we'll get for him. He's not up to the level we need though.
Finally someone who has a brain
And even if he was 10/10 this game , all players can have 1 good game. Weird how kneejerk our fans are saying he has 1 good game and now he should start for us :wall:

The better he plays , the less we pay for Hojberg .-.

He's also a player putting himself in the shop window / playing for a contract

His motivation is much higher than most

I'd agree more if he wasn't 23 already.

Even when he played well (which like you say, was most of the time) he wasn't rewarded with more gametime..... Hardly a way to fill him with self belief is it.

I haven't checked but I'm assuming he's lost his England place by now....
23yrs old is Young mate, he's only just turned 23 as well! This is the normal age that players break into sides. I think maybe fans have become accustomed to VERY young players breaking into the side (Bentaleb, Kane and Dele)??

I've lost track with what's going on with England.

If he plays well then it's a win-win for us, either he stays or we get a nice fee.

It was so dumb the way Poch kept him trapped here all those years, young players need to play. Refusing to loan our youngsters out was one of his biggest mistakes.

Had Aurier been playing in his place City would have had 5 or 6 top quality opportunities. He kept Sterling and Foden under wraps and city weren't coasting
City had 3 quarters of the ball and from the little I saw, Southampton were fortunate enough to get 3 points out of that game, his passing wasn't great and his defending (poor clearances, bit of ball watching) and decision making still look suspect to me (especially with people at the back post). Tbf He put a better ball in for Danny Ings than Serge has over a good while.

We've seen him have alright games before and maybe that was a decent one, but it's still a bit of a training game atmosphere IMO and I just don't see him having a future at Tottenham tbh...will maybe put his price up a bit.

I fucking hate Aurier, but have big doubts that KWP is the answer to our problems at full back even after a decent performance against Man City tbh. Would need to really see the full game, but even from the highlights I'm still not convinced.

I thought he played well yesterday, spending however much we did on Aurier instead of letting Walker-Peters develop and get more game time has not been a good decision in hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom