Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In Mason's case he spent that season under AVB/Sherwood on loan in League One. I don't know if Sherwood put a word in for him but it was Poch who made him a first team player and when you hear Mason speaks he's very grateful for him because at that point in time he was already 23 years old and expected to be sold.

I'm confused... Who played him for those other 4 appearances then?

(I am however aware of the Poch/Mason relationship, but like I've explained to Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 - my interpretation of "promoting" to the seniors is entirely logical.....)

I'm confused... Who played him for those other 4 appearances then?

(I am however aware of the Poch/Mason relationship, but like I've explained to Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 - my interpretation of "promoting" to the seniors is entirely logical.....)

Debuted as a last minute substitute in the Europa League under Redknapp in 2008. Next game didn't come until four years later in the 2012/13 season. He played three games under AVB that season. Went to Swindon on loan in 2013/14 and came back when Poch was appointed.

Debuted as a last minute substitute in the Europa League under Redknapp in 2008. Next game didn't come until four years later in the 2012/13 season. He played three games under AVB that season. Went to Swindon on loan in 2013/14 and came back when Poch was appointed.

Knew I'd seen him debut before Poch rocked up...

(Nice one! 👍 )

Perhaps, I was mistaken, but my interpretation of your list was perfectly logical, fella....
The list was posted to show that he was a manager who played young players and those I think are the significant ones he put faith in and reflected in the number of apps/mins they played under him. These aren't stat padded substitution apps made in the Kangaroo Cup in the 85th min.

His record, therefore, shows that if he thought a player was "ready" he would play them regularly. Of course, there's a view that he could have or should have played others, including KWP but the fact is he didn't. It may or may not have been a mistake on his part, time would tell on that. But a manager with a significant track record of playing very young footballers deemed KWP not ready for selection. Hence he wasn't selected.

He's now showing signs that he might be ready. Let's see.

Missed a penalty on his debut didn’t he?

Poch gave Onomah his debut and subsequently a further 30 odd appearances. No one will say Onomah was promoted to a first team player however unlike Mason who might have debuted under a previous manager but was a regular starter for a while only under Poch.

Poch's record across Southampton & Spurs is littered with you'd players playing. You wanted him to play more, you thought he should have played more, fine but his record speaks for itself.

The logic his based solely on what we know:
1) He's getting starts for a PL side and he's had good games in them
2) He has been receiving his development at Hotspur Way

I've no idea if a loan earlier would have been better for his development NO ONE DOES! No one can say otherwise because what's it based on?

There are young players playing for most clubs in the PL and Europe, that hardly makes Pochettino unique. His record at Spurs is nothing exceptional. When he left we were the oldest average age team (or in the top 3 depending on who played) in the PL. That's not a coach showing a preference for young players, if he he did initially.

The notion that any player will develop better "match skills" by not playing matches, or playing very few of any kind, even reserve games, for 3 years is pretty spurious, bordering on nonsensical.

There are young players playing for most clubs in the PL and Europe, that hardly makes Pochettino unique. His record at Spurs is nothing exceptional. When he left we were the oldest average age team (or in the top 3 depending on who played) in the PL. That's not a coach showing a preference for young players, if he he did initially.

The notion that any player will develop better "match skills" by not playing matches, or playing very few of any kind, even reserve games, for 3 years is pretty spurious, bordering on nonsensical.
And yet they were also the youngest earlier on.

tumblr_ma3tk7L9Zy1ruav3u.gif

Who is making the claim that a player will develop better by not playing matches?

He's on loan, so he's now playing matches. Matches mean he will continue his development. This is all rather good ain't it!! Well done Spurs (and KWP) for developing to a point where his level is deemed suitable to gain some mins in the PL whilst out on loan.

And yet they were also the youngest earlier on.

tumblr_ma3tk7L9Zy1ruav3u.gif

Who is making the claim that a player will develop better by not playing matches?

He's on loan, so he's now playing matches. Matches mean he will continue his development. This is all rather good ain't it!! Well done Spurs (and KWP) for developing to a point where his level is deemed suitable to gain some mins in the PL whilst out on loan.

Well no, not well done Spurs for making him wait this long to get regular matches. His level was deemed suitable to get minutes 3 years ago, because he did. That was the time when "matches would have meant he continued his development", instead spurs/Pochettino made sure he didn't get them, for Spurs, Spurs U23's, or on loan.

Yes, Poch had a young side early on, but the majority of those players were not introduced or recruited by Pochettino. The longer his tenure went on, the more influence Pochettino had on recruitment and integration, our team got older and older until it was one of the oldest in the PL.

You categorically said he was a manager with a record of playing young players. His record for playing young players is absolutely nothing special at all.

Well no, not well done Spurs for making him wait this long to get regular matches. His level was deemed suitable to get minutes 3 years ago, because he did. That was the time when "matches would have meant he continued his development", instead spurs/Pochettino made sure he didn't get them, for Spurs, Spurs U23's, or on loan.

Yes, Poch had a young side early on, but the majority of those players were not introduced or recruited by Pochettino. The longer his tenure went on, the more influence Pochettino had on recruitment and integration, our team got older and older until it was one of the oldest in the PL.

You categorically said he was a manager with a record of playing young players. His record for playing young players is absolutely nothing special at all.
As I've posted numerous times already, if he was deem suitable he would have got more mins.

I've listed the players that played significant mins under him, list the extensive list of other managers that have played as many with as many minutes to back up what you say. I assume that's quite a simple thing to do on account of his record being "absolutely nothing special".

I don't fucking care if they were introduced by him or not, I've not even presented that as an argument.

Lol a few months ago everyone was saying he's a championship level player.

Now he puts in a couple decent performances for Southampton, who have literally nothing to play for, and all of a sudden he's good enough?

I think he needs at least another year of development before he's anywhere near the level we need.
Everyone was saying that? That's not true.

City had 3 quarters of the ball and from the little I saw, Southampton were fortunate enough to get 3 points out of that game, his passing wasn't great and his defending (poor clearances, bit of ball watching) and decision making still look suspect to me (especially with people at the back post). Tbf He put a better ball in for Danny Ings than Serge has over a good while.

We've seen him have alright games before and maybe that was a decent one, but it's still a bit of a training game atmosphere IMO and I just don't see him having a future at Tottenham tbh...will maybe put his price up a bit.

I fucking hate Aurier, but have big doubts that KWP is the answer to our problems at full back even after a decent performance against Man City tbh. Would need to really see the full game, but even from the highlights I'm still not convinced.
Not necessarily what we would like, but on that display better than what we have.
City were all over soton like a rash, getting quality passes in was a nightmare for all of the team, not just KWP, he put in some solid blocks and tackles and had one poor clearance out of the box, that IIRC followed a good clean stop.

It's not to me, your friend who quoted you said earlier he needs to bulk up, and he would only know if it's complete by looking at him, not a conversation to have with me mate
You’re right, he suggested a bit more bulk and strength work which would be noticeable in his play and physicality. You’re the one that suggested turning him into Adama Traore by adding 10-15 kg of muscle...

Back
Top Bottom