Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The price would be appropriate I'm sure.

Just like paying both Poch's (£9m) salary and Jose's (£15m) salary at the same time a combined £24m per year!!!

All depends on whether we (Conte) wants him and whether KWP would want to come back. There is a huge competition for England FB's/WB's at this moment in time, so I'm sure the price isn't in the realms of a £50m Kyle Walker who at that point in time was clear of literally everyone.

With Lamptey mooted at 50m, Livramento having a 40m buy-back clause, Aarons being mooted at 30-40m, Sessengon at 30m...... I'm not so sure S'oton wouldn't hardball on a price... They usually do.

I thought England was stacked at RB - why is KWP getting a call up?

TAA & James both pulled out.... Trippier long term injury.... Walker not in OG squad(*)....

(*Just cos Pep is being a dick to him; I don't see why Gary shouldn't still pick him.)

With Lamptey mooted at 50m, Livramento having a 40m buy-back clause, Aarons being mooted at 30-40m, Sessengon at 30m...... I'm not so sure S'oton wouldn't hardball on a price... They usually do.
Lamptey is certainly not worth that other than the obvious potential (he's 21) he has, my guess is if he is sold then there is likely to be a staged/performance-related deal. Same with Livramento, Wikipedia (I know) says his buyback is £25m(??).
Aarons is a classic example of big hype surrounding young English players, he's looked really, really average this year (I'm no expert on him but every game I saw him play I didn't get what all the fuss was about), Sess is another good example, loads of hype that hasn't been justified yet.

But I'd roll the dice with any of those players at approx £20m-£30m none of them are worth any more than that.

All of them have improved though. KWP played quite a lot for us but was defensively suspect hence why Foyth was used at RB and even Foyth had errors in his game back then. Neither where good enough at the time or at least for a team looking beyond a mid table position.

Obviously the improvement has been significant since that point but it’s like Scarlett, lots of potential but not ready. It’s why I think going forward loans would be the best option for our young players. Like Skipp who went to Norwich and came back improved.

Well of course, loans would have made sense but Poch did not believe in loaning out talent. He thought it was better for them to train with the first team and sit in the stands every single match day for an entire season. One of his biggest faults as a coach. He thought they’d learn more from his training than from playing actual games, which is completely wrong. Especially in the case of KWP who was much older than Skipp and Tanganga at the time and had already started a match away at Barcelona in the CL.

Ah OK that makes more sense then.

No offense to KWP, he's a fine player, but he hardly screams "England international" quality to me.

He's been quality this season, if it wasn't for the fact that England were stacked with absolute class RB's he'd have been called up earlier with no hesitation.

Well of course, loans would have made sense but Poch did not believe in loaning out talent. He thought it was better for them to train with the first team and sit in the stands every single match day for an entire season. One of his biggest faults as a coach. He thought they’d learn more from his training than from playing actual games, which is completely wrong. Especially in the case of KWP who was much older than Skipp and Tanganga at the time and had already started a match away at Barcelona in the CL.
But another way to look at that is he got KWP's development spot on because he's in the first team for Southampton and has just got an England call up. He's not playing for Rushden & Diamonds for example.

I'm not making a case for or against what's best for a specific player's development because it's specific for each individual player. Suspect that John McDermott was also highly influential in agreeing/disagreeing with what's best for each player, they had a very close relationship and he was/is regarded as one of the best developers in football talent.

ally mcbeal GIF

I rated the guy when he was with us. Ironic that KWP is where most of thought Japhet would be by now.

But another way to look at that is he got KWP's development spot on because he's in the first team for Southampton and has just got an England call up. He's not playing for Rushden & Diamonds for example.

I'm not making a case for or against what's best for a specific player's development because it's specific for each individual player. Suspect that John McDermott was also highly influential in agreeing/disagreeing with what's best for each player, they had a very close relationship and he was/is regarded as one of the best developers in football talent.

If Poch got KWP's development spot on he'd be starting for us now.

Mistakes were made.

Onomah, Edwards & KWP were all needlessly starved of competitive football during key development years.

It's all well and good Poch insisting that players were kept in-house, but who was his success story to back up that mantra?

.....The fact that KWP is thriving now despite his treatment now is clear testament to how much of a chance blown he was.

Mistakes were made.

Onomah, Edwards & KWP were all needlessly starved of competitive football during key development years.

It's all well and good Poch insisting that players were kept in-house, but who was his success story to back up that mantra?

.....The fact that KWP is thriving now despite his treatment now is clear testament to how much of a chance blown he was.
It's literally impossible to say.

1. It could have aided his development
or
2. He developed once he left and joined Southampton

Both Onomah & Edwards haven't developed since leaving Spurs, so is this because they weren't loaned out when they were here or is it because they wouldn't have kicked on even if they were loaned.

If Poch got KWP's development spot on he'd be starting for us now.
Not so, he didn't want him sold, the opposite in fact.

Had Poch stayed KWP could have developed into our PL RB at the same time as he did at Southampton but we'll never know the answer to this because Poch was fired and we hired a fucking dinosaur. It was the dinosaur that sold him (loaned first).

Not so, he didn't want him sold, the opposite in fact.

Had Poch stayed KWP could have developed into our PL RB at the same time as he did at Southampton but we'll never know the answer to this because Poch was fired and we hired a fucking dinosaur. It was the dinosaur that sold him (loaned first).

KWP wasn't playing when Poch was here so I'm not sure what makes you think that he would have developed further under Poch?

I don't actually blame Jose for not using him, by the time he came in his confidence was on the floor due to lack of game time.

I'm not actually surpsied he'd doing well now, he's playing matches consistently under a proper coach who prioritises nurturing players and getting the most out of them.

But Poch never played him, nor did he send him out on loan, he was responsible for stunting his growth, he did the same to Onomah
He did play several times under Pochettino. He was on the bench in a champion's league final . Tripper was 1st choice in that position at the time . Pochettino give him a new 5 year contract in December 2018 . His time at Tottenham under Pochettino has contributed massively in developing him into the player he has become . Jose loaned him out and then sold him .

KWP wasn't playing when Poch was here so I'm not sure what makes you think that he would have developed further under Poch?

I don't actually blame Jose for not using him, by the time he came in his confidence was on the floor due to lack of game time.

I'm not actually surpsied he'd doing well now, he's playing matches consistently under a proper coach who prioritises nurturing players and getting the most out of them.
It's easy to say he "could" have developed further because Poch had a plan for him, it's why he didn't want to loan him out, he wanted him in the first-team squad (every academy player had a development plan, McDermott has confirmed).

I'm NOT saying that he would have done. It's impossible to say either way.

What we know is he's now a pro-footballer in the PL, where he is a first-team player and his performances have enabled him to get his 1st Snr England Cap.

Was this because he remained training with Poch, with the 1st team? I don't know, no one does. But it absolutely can't be dismissed, because it absolutely happened whilst he was being developed.

I DO blame Mourinho because he sold him. If his confidence was low (I don't know where this has come from, has KWP said this?) then why didn't he do what managers are supposed to do and build the confidence of his players?

I agree with your last Para, but this "could" have happened at Spurs had we not got a manager with the worst record in the PL for playing young players.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom