Lack Of Depth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far we go in Europe will impact us majorly. Should the worst happen and Fiorentina knock us out then we can play the same 11 pretty much every game and the 'lack' of squad depth won't be too much of an issue.Poch isn't an idiot and will freshen up the team as he sees fit should we qualify.

The it may come down to which competition does he prioritise? Its a tough one, but with sensible rotation between games we should still be able to compete in both competitions with some favourable league games coming up. Scum, Chelsea, Liverpool all played twice already. Man Utd away and Southampton away probably the only 'hard' away fixtures (we may be out of Europe by the time both of those come around) and we have Man City at home in May. We're gonna keep ticking along in the league games regardless just hopefully the manager is sensible and freshens it up when necessary, but radical changes between games will cause an upset to the rhythm and balance that I think we currently have in place (finally).

There was pudding?
Not for long Sandro ate it all.
54da39ec5ed2a.jpg

Proof was in the pudding last night - we had very little quality to bring from the bench

We had more quality coming off the bench than they did, yet theirs won it.

You can drive sover, get into an accident and die. You can drive completely wasted and get to your destination intact. That doesn't mean that driving wasted is the better option.

We had more quality coming off the bench than they did, yet theirs won it.

You can drive sover, get into an accident and die. You can drive completely wasted and get to your destination intact. That doesn't mean that driving wasted is the better option.
Lallana made far more impact than Paulinho for example. Are we even debating this, mate?

Lallana made far more impact than Paulinho for example. Are we even debating this, mate?

He made more impact, yesterday, yes. But Ballotelli + Lovren + Lallana has had less positive impact this season than Soldado + Chadli + Paulinho. When we're discussing squad depth we can't look at the impact a small number of players had for an average of 20 minutes each in one game, but at their contributions over a longer period of time. Obviously.

He made more impact, yesterday, yes. But Ballotelli + Lovren + Lallana has had less positive impact this season than Soldado + Chadli + Paulinho. When we're discussing squad depth we can't look at the impact a small number of players had for an average of 20 minutes each in one game, but at their contributions over a longer period of time. Obviously.
What impact has Soldado / Paulinho had from the bench for us over the season?

Harsh on Chadli & Lallana to include them on a list of poor players. Of the crap I'd rather Lovren & Balotelli than Soldado & Paulinho

As a sub Soldado offers nothing at all. He always needed the "arm around him love treatment" to come good at Spurs and to be starting. Unfortunately this hasn't happened and he isn't the sort of guy who can just turn it on during a cameo off the bench. I've said to my Liverpool supporting mate before that Rodgers was stupid not giving Balotelli little 10 minutes run outs in games because he has that ability to finally do something.

It's funny because other teams see us as having a quality squad and bench, I reckon the problem is not the depth of quality but rather the depth of complying. We don;t have enough players that fit the system Poch wants.

How far we go in Europe will impact us majorly. Should the worst happen and Fiorentina knock us out then we can play the same 11 pretty much every game and the 'lack' of squad depth won't be too much of an issue.Poch isn't an idiot and will freshen up the team as he sees fit should we qualify.

The it may come down to which competition does he prioritise? Its a tough one, but with sensible rotation between games we should still be able to compete in both competitions with some favourable league games coming up. Scum, Chelsea, Liverpool all played twice already. Man Utd away and Southampton away probably the only 'hard' away fixtures (we may be out of Europe by the time both of those come around) and we have Man City at home in May. We're gonna keep ticking along in the league games regardless just hopefully the manager is sensible and freshens it up when necessary, but radical changes between games will cause an upset to the rhythm and balance that I think we currently have in place (finally).
If we win the cup and have progressed past Fiorentia (which are HUGE ifs), it should be Europa league. We'll already have a Europa spot and if we win it all we get CL.

Facts:
Avg pr 90 min this season:
Chadli: 0.31 assists, 0.43 goals, 1.42 key passes.
Soldado: 0.13 assists, 0.13 goals, 0.93 key passes.

Balotelli: 0 assists, 0.13 goals, 0.69 key passes.
Lallana: 0.25 assists, 0.34 goals, 1.34 key passes.

Before yesterdays game these numbers were even more in favour of our players. Your negative feelings might say otherwise, but the FACT is that we had more impact coming off of our bench than they had off theirs.

Facts:

Before yesterdays game these numbers were even more in favour of our players. Your negative feelings might say otherwise, but the FACT is that we had more impact coming off of our bench than they had off theirs.

Why is Chadli there, it should be Paulinho, no one is saying Chadli is crap infact prior to his dad's untimely death he was a starter for us.

Facts:

Using Chadli in this equation is misleading. The lack of depth is not in reference to Chadli who has been a starter most of the year.

Ramires contributes something. If you can't see that and someone like Mourinho can says a lot more about your football knowledge than anything else.

City have depth in midfield. That's all that I was showing. I didn't say we needed £60k+ a week to be in the reserves just that I'd much rather the 3 into 2 spot option we currently have.

You do realise Can is a midfielder being played at CB by Rodgers? Oh no wait you think Ramires is Paulinho-level useless

Can has been pushed up in their recent games, and he wasnt playing CB he was playing fullback in a 3 man defence. You might have seen him making runs into our box last night.
And my point still stands because whatever he is, he isnt a fucking holding midfielder.

Ramirez does contribute. You seem to think Im a Paulinho defender. Nope. I have slated him every game he's featured this season. But the point you are ignoring is that while Paulinho maybe shit, and should not be involved in any matchday squad for us ever again, I dont think its realistic to expect the club to have like for like back up throughout every position.

Bentaleb, Mason and Stambouli for two positions, I dont see as weak, especially now we are playing Dembele ahead of them.

As for the Jose quip...well, Poch is picking and using Paulinho. So I guess by your own argument, you must be seriously lacking football knowledge. Well, that, or you think Poch is lacking football knowledge, as he rates Paulinho, and you do not.

I have to laugh when people revert to "Jose rates him and Jose knows more about football than you so you are wrong" nonsense.......while typing away about how to fix THFC as if they know more than Levy and Poch.

Tit.

Last edited:
Using Chadli in this equation is misleading. The lack of depth is not in reference to Chadli who has been a starter most of the year.

No it's not. We're discussing impact from the bench, and Chadli is comparable to Lallana. Both could've started for their clubs, neither did. In my opinion Liverpool should definately have started Lallana ahead of Markovic, and we possibly should've started Chadli ahead of Lamela. To me, this indicates us having better depth than them at AM, and we had more impact on our bench than they had on theirs.

No it's not. We're discussing impact from the bench, and Chadli is comparable to Lallana. Both could've started for their clubs, neither did. In my opinion Liverpool should definately have started Lallana ahead of Markovic, and we possibly should've started Chadli ahead of Lamela. To me, this indicates us having better depth than them at AM, and we had more impact on our bench than they had on theirs.
The topic of the thread is depth. Chadli has started far, far more than Lallana. It is not a fair comparison.

Back
Top Bottom