Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
Too many are missing the point I am obviously failing to articulate.

Yes maybe or undoubtedly but the height they attained to where they are now, compared to one final somewhat against the odds and top 4, to where we are currently?

I am not so sure the fall is greater for us, however badly it feels at present.

We were a consistent top 4 team, and IMO this season will be lucky to finish top half. We've been teetering on the edge of mid-table mediocrity for multiple seasons now, have almost no reasons to be optimistic for the future, and are told we also have no money.

Barcelona were consistent title winners and regularly did very well in Europe. Their fall is to being the 3rd best team in Spain, probably getting to round of 16 or quarters in the CL and being knocked out. Is that a bigger drop off than ours? When you consider they do have a light on the horizon with the talent at the club?

I don't know. I think it's certainly up for debate. The biggest fall for me is that I find us so hard to watch these days, the worst thing as a football fan is to not even be able to enjoy watching matches. It's meant to be entertainment. Barca might have been humbled lately, but their games aren't a form of torture.

And regardless, if the optimistic viewpoint is 'hey at least our collapse isn't as bad as that club who had arguably the worst president in football history' then jesus, we are clutching at straws.

Going bold here and voted bottom 10…..After the first 3 games I thought our defence looked solid and up for it, two games later they look the same mess they did last season, not all their fault of course because of what’s playing in front of them does them no favours…Bad defence equals bad season, always has always will no matter what style of football you play….
Midfield has as much creativity as a dead artist….
Up front on it’s day can be lethal, but Kane really does look like a guy who has given up, Son and Kane may not click the way they did last season, that is a big ask for them to repeat that standard, and Dele who I thought after the first few games looked like the old Dele has shown he’s finished as a match winning player….

All in all, defence is tragic (after the first 3 games of a false dawn), midfield makes me want to puke at the thought of it trying to dominate a game of football, and Kane may be an issue long term, tho I hope not….

Manager doesn’t stand a chance at this club…..

Just give us an FA Cup and mid table safety….

And regardless, if the optimistic viewpoint is 'hey at least our collapse isn't as bad as that club who had arguably the worst president in football history' then jesus, we are clutching at straws.
I am baffled as to why anyone is comparing us to Barcelona in the first instance. Seems like an exercise in futility if ever there was one.

You really can’t claim “ years of under investment “ if you include Romero and Gollini as buys which they pretty much are it’s £350m over 3 seasons. That’s decent by anyone standards. Is it City Chelsea levels no, but it’s more than Liverpool. We’ve just spent on the whole terribly. Ndombele and Lo celso were key signings they basically were the replacements for Eriksen and Dembele and they’ve flopped. £30m on Sessegnon looking a waste of money. Bergwijn hardly a success, Reguilon gone backwards. We’ve just made an utter pigs ear of things off the back of a CL final and a fantastic position. But it’s nowhere near as simplistic as just money spent.

U
You really can’t claim “ years of under investment “ if you include Romero and Gollini as buys which they pretty much are it’s £350m over 3 seasons. That’s decent by anyone standards. Is it City Chelsea levels no, but it’s more than Liverpool. We’ve just spent on the whole terribly. Ndombele and Lo celso were key signings they basically were the replacements for Eriksen and Dembele and they’ve flopped. £30m on Sessegnon looking a waste of money. Bergwijn hardly a success, Reguilon gone backwards. We’ve just made an utter pigs ear of things off the back of a CL final and a fantastic position. But it’s nowhere near as simplistic as just money spent.

Understand and agree with what you're saying. But devil's advocate would say that if they didn't treat every transfer like a financial investment, and paid top dollar for proven talent they wouldn't have amassed such a selection of flops.

I’m going to take a somewhat more positive outlook on the current situation. We’ve been whipped two games in a row but both were a little unfortunate. What I can’t excuse is how we imploded after the first goal. My opinion is we actually have some good players on paper but it’s not translating into performances. Hopefully that will get better with time. We do need to start playing with more attacking intent and the first half against Chelsea was very good. I don’t think Skip and Delli should be in the starting lineup. They don’t seem to provide anything other than a set of legs that will run the whole game. Moura, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Gil - these are the guys that need to be in the starting 11. None of this holding back and waiting for counters. We have arguably two of the best attackers in world football in Kane and Son and we need to get them the ball more in attacking positions. Our defence should be able to hold their own against the other 14 teams in the league.

In summary, I think Nuno needs to take a more risky approach to matches and that means more attackers on the field. We’ll concede more goals but we’ll definitely score more. I think the top 4 is nailed on and it would be a miracle to break into it. Think we need to set our sights on Europa place and a cup.

I think the signs are ominous. We scraped 7th last year with kane performing. Carry on like this with kane clearly disinterested and not wanting to be here and it's not looking good as it's only him or son that get us results.
Yeah I mean it's not all fun and games right now, but let's just be objective about the fact we have a new manager, a bunch of new and unfit players and things may not look so bad after a bit of settling in.

The players we have are pretty good, and I'd still take our best 11 over the best 11 of Everton, Villa, Woolwich, even Leicester probably. I know it's easy to be doom and gloom but we can realistically put together a better season than the aforementioned teams. Just need Nuno and the boys to figure out a bit of direction and pull together, I refuse to believe these last few games will be the best of what we give this year.

I’m going to take a somewhat more positive outlook on the current situation. We’ve been whipped two games in a row but both were a little unfortunate. What I can’t excuse is how we imploded after the first goal. My opinion is we actually have some good players on paper but it’s not translating into performances. Hopefully that will get better with time. We do need to start playing with more attacking intent and the first half against Chelsea was very good. I don’t think Skip and Delli should be in the starting lineup. They don’t seem to provide anything other than a set of legs that will run the whole game. Moura, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Gil - these are the guys that need to be in the starting 11. None of this holding back and waiting for counters. We have arguably two of the best attackers in world football in Kane and Son and we need to get them the ball more in attacking positions. Our defence should be able to hold their own against the other 14 teams in the league.

In summary, I think Nuno needs to take a more risky approach to matches and that means more attackers on the field. We’ll concede more goals but we’ll definitely score more. I think the top 4 is nailed on and it would be a miracle to break into it. Think we need to set our sights on Europa place and a cup.
Getting whipped two games in a row isn't unfortunate or unlucky it suggests we are not good enough no way near it.

Arguably the best stadium in world football and a team hoping for top 8 sounds odd but it will all make sense when the Jets and Falcons roll into town.

This is what happens when people think that a swanky stadium and some modern facilities make you a big club. As opposed to you know ... memorable players and trophies. Now we have self serving pints but a not long promoted Aston Villa breathing down our neck.

Bunch of charlatans.

Getting whipped two games in a row isn't unfortunate or unlucky it suggests we are not good enough no way near it.

It's only two games also ignores the fact we have been terrible in every game we've played all season aside from City at home. Unless you count the game against Portuguese binmen.

I nearly nodded off four of five times against Watford.

Too many are missing the point I am obviously failing to articulate.

Yes maybe or undoubtedly but the height they attained to where they are now, compared to one final somewhat against the odds and top 4, to where we are currently?

I am not so sure the fall is greater for us, however badly it feels at present.
Spain is a two and a half team league. A little bit ahead of Celtic and Rangers in Scotland in terms of the depth of teams and competitiveness. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

U

Understand and agree with what you're saying. But devil's advocate would say that if they didn't treat every transfer like a financial investment, and paid top dollar for proven talent they wouldn't have amassed such a selection of flops.

I mean yeah most obviously that cost us Grealish probably Bruno and I’m sure numerous others in the past. It’s interesting I’ve seen Paratici quoted as saying that if it’s really the player you want sometimes you just have to pay that extra £5m. It’s just life really, on the whole if you want nice things you have to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom