Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
Some context is crucial.

Look at Barcelona. They are in a worse place than us and will take a long time to rise again.

We never reached such heights but neither should our dip be as deep.

The right manager was Potter for us for now and he may still be the preferred choice going forward, but for now Santo needs but won't get more time.

Next week is a bigger match than it should be for both clubs. We will lose.

Mate we just lost to an oil-money fuelled Chelsea who are arguably the league's best and Europe's best team right now, and all of a sudden we're barely a top 10 team? Fuck me the reactionary posting on here is embarrassing.

Have a couple pints lads and try not to crumble, christ.

Last season we were 3 points off 10th place. And we had Bale getting double figures in the league, and Jose's solid run at the start of the season where everything was golden for a bit. We also had a committed Kane who got golden boot and top assister, and anyone who thinks he's producing that this season for us is kidding themselves.

So hardly melting down or unreasonable to suggest we might be worse off this season. And it's not based entirely on this result. The Palace performance was beyond abysmal, and yeah we won vs Watford and Wolves, but anyone who thinks those were even slightly good performances are kidding themselves.

Our only genuinely half-decent performance of the season was against City, where we basically played Mourinhoball. If a few mid table teams improve, we could absolutely find ourselves struggling to get top 10. I don't know why people think we're above this or why you have your heads in the sands when we've declined for multiple seasons now.

The last few seasons we have edged closer and closer towards not being a top half side. This isn't 'crumbling', it's just reality. The point tallies are showing this. If teams like Everton/Villa improve even marginally, they will be above us.

It's time for some of our fans to wake the hell up.

Some context is crucial.

Look at Barcelona. They are in a worse place than us and will take a long time to rise again.

The right manager was Potter for us for now and he may still be the preferred choice going forward, but for now Santo needs but won't get more time.

Barcelona are playing European football, will probably still get it again this season, and have talents like Ansu Fati, Pedri, Araujo and De Jong at the club.

Yes they have huge financial difficulties, but due to their insane income, they will get through it with a painful 5/6 years of cutting down the wage bill and sell to buy.

No sane Barca fan would swap their current position for ours.

I love Poch and his time here but fucking hell the team he left was completely shattered. Just what kind of training was he doing? It's like he sucked every last bit of football out of them over a short period to great effect and now we're left with dried up husks like Dele and Winks.

Of course it wouldn't have mattered if ENIC hadn't been tight bastards and completely overhauled the team like Poch advised. Looks like they're happy to slowly refresh the team over a long period and we suffer the consequences. They love their slow build (it makes them more money to spread it out over time). And they're charging some of the highest ticket prices. Evil bastards.

Barcelona are playing European football, will probably still get it again this season, and have talents like Ansu Fati, Pedri, Araujo and De Jong at the club.

Yes they have huge financial difficulties, but due to their insane income, they will get through it with a painful 5/6 years of cutting down the wage bill and sell to buy.

Barcelona wouldn’t finish top four in the Prem though.

Right now, I’d say we’re around being an Everton. 6-8 region. But I do think we’ll get much better. Can’t help feeling we should have moved on from the whole Kane saga properly and injected more new talent into the squad. But we are where we are. Getting H focused is key to whether we can get any higher. Much more to come from Royal, Romero and Gil.
I really don’t know what we can do to get Kane focused

He just wants to leave and has probably got the hump that we wouldn’t let him

Correct but the height of their last decade is incomparable to where we got to.

And they have less chance of getting back to that position than we have of returning to where we were 3 or 4 years ago.

Where were all the calls for hiring Potter? I can't remember a single person mentioning his name on here
I called for Potter or even Scotty very early on

Simon Jordan on Talkshite advocated Nuno around the same time

Correct but the height of their last decade is incomparable to where we got to.

And they have less chance of getting back to that position than we have of returning to where we were 3 or 4 years ago.

I disagree. They have a few players who have genuinely world class potential, and still an academy which regularly churns out great players. They're also still a huge pull due to their name, players will happily take wage cuts to join them.

All they need to do is stay in the top 3/4 for the next few seasons, which shouldn't be too hard. Allow those players to develop, hope some more come through. Fati, De Jong and Pedri have legitimate best in the world in their position potential.

We have next to zero chance of getting back to being regular top 4 contenders, let alone CL finalists.

I really don’t know what we can do to get Kane focused

He just wants to leave and has probably got the hump that we wouldn’t let him
The complexity, dynamics and politics in our squad are so many and so varied. It needs a really strong, astute and experienced manager to deal with it all. From keeping top talent motivated to dealing with the old guard, Poch loyalists, Mou loyalists, new international players… then the dynamic with Paratici and Levy etc. You really need someone super strong (like Conte?) to give some clear direction. I like Nuno, but it’s looking more like a Mason+ situation i.e. poor guy is way out of his depth.

Where were all the calls for hiring Potter? I can't remember a single person mentioning his name on here
I don't see Spurs crowding into the top four right away so if you had to bring in someone to manage the transition while new players were acquired I would have preferred Potter to Nuno simply because even if we won the same number of games either way they would have been more entertaining to watch. Watching a Nuno team is too much like watching a Mourinho team.

Some context is crucial.

Apparently we approached Potter but he preferred to stay where he is.
No doubt he will get a top job eventually. Hope it’s us

Attacking DNA folks.
Our 1 goal from open play came in the first match of the season.
4 since with NO goals from open play.
NONE.

Attacking DNA......

Mate we just lost to an oil-money fuelled Chelsea who are arguably the league's best and Europe's best team right now, and all of a sudden we're barely a top 10 team? Fuck me the reactionary posting on here is embarrassing.

Have a couple pints lads and try not to crumble, christ.
Last time out we got thumped 3-0 by Crysral Palace. At what point does it stop becoming reactionary, then?

Back
Top Bottom