Liverpool away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its our first to Anfield and we're driving down from sunny Glasgow. Taking the car is unavoidable, so any suggestions on where to park.

I know there's no point, as our wheels will be gone but willing to take the risk.

Leave your keys in ignition with door unlocked and petrol tank nearly empty
:angryscouser:
Less damage when it's stolen and found abandoned in Bootle

We can win anything!
Fucking hell. I thought I was an optimistic cunt.

The difficulty with this is it's the least highly regarded trophy domestically. Throw into that the European competition we are in, & it's even less of a priority. Clubs like 'pool & chavs only have 3 possibilities at silverware, whilst we are also in a competition that everyone in Europe wants to win- & it's the goose that lays the golden egg even if you don't win it. Those clubs are evidently going to treat the league cup more seriously. It may be their 3rd priority at the start of the season, but it's number 4 on our radar. It's still a respected trophy (& for that reason alone I'd love to win it) but I don't think our season's commitments will allow us to go all the way in this competition.

(I still have a feeling we will turn the dippers over tonight though)

Well done Spurs. Now you've done it.

751825.gif

It'd be even worse to lose after 120 minutes anyway!

Easiest trophy to win by far, and traditionally the one we've had most "success" in, in recent years (those two facts are probably related).

Saying that, with a favourable draw (i.e. not this one), we should be able to get to the final with squad players.

League cup should be approached by playing the kids and reserves, only if we reach the semi-final should we start taking it seriously. Which is what we did in Poch's first season, where we actually threw away the FA cup in favour of the League cup because by that time we had a real chance of winning it. We have too much going on right now, just look at how our November schedule looks like, and then people want us to worry about the League cup? Impossible.

why not go for one we have a realistic chance of winning then

Fucking hell. I thought I was an optimistic cunt.

The difficulty with this is it's the least highly regarded trophy domestically. Throw into that the European competition we are in, & it's even less of a priority. Clubs like 'pool & chavs only have 3 possibilities at silverware, whilst we are also in a competition that everyone in Europe wants to win- & it's the goose that lays the golden egg even if you don't win it. Those clubs are evidently going to treat the league cup more seriously. It may be their 3rd priority at the start of the season, but it's number 4 on our radar. It's still a respected trophy (& for that reason alone I'd love to win it) but I don't think our season's commitments will allow us to go all the way in this competition.

(I still have a feeling we will turn the dippers over tonight though)

It's not just about prioritising competitions and "resting" players. If we want to maintain the ability to generate first team / squad members from the youth ranks then we need to blood players in first team competitions.

The loan system is nowhere near as efficient at allowing players to meet their potential within our own philosophy (Pritchards loan to "6 CB" Pullis was the death of him, whoever sanctioned that loan should have been shot).

With no Europa League (hopefully indefinitely) then this is the obvious comp to do it in (albeit with a reduced number of potential games).

If we want to keep the youth machine churning out gems then we must be prepared to play them in the first team and consequently understand that in order to do that we run the extra risk of losing games.

apparently a bit of a title run last season means we're above this competition now. I want trophies not a pat on the back for getting to the quarters of the cl

Reading all of the above-both sides of the argument - I agree with everyone, how can you not.
Putting aside any long term strategy.....
The solution is ?
One game at time.
Lets see where we are tomorrow after the game, we will all have a different outlook.

For the record , I want to win every game , no matter what competition, Im competitive to the end. Anyone accepting defeat before KO has no competitiveness in their genes.

apparently a bit of a title run last season means we're above this competition now. I want trophies not a pat on the back for getting to the quarters of the cl

I don't think we're above it - but we have to be realistic in the fact that we can't play the same strong team every single game. We are going to be rotating. You can bet the players we put out are going to take it seriously, they're going to want to try and claim their place. Especially the likes of Janssen, Wimmer, Davies, Trippier etc. who are all going to want to impress.

You then put in the hungry young talent like Winks, CCV, Onomah who are all going to want to impress and show they are every bit as good as the players in front of them etc.

I personally think we'll lose because I think Liverpool will put out a strong team and have home advantage, but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed if we get knocked out tonight.

I don't think we're above it - but we have to be realistic in the fact that we can't play the same strong team every single game. We are going to be rotating. You can bet the players we put out are going to take it seriously, they're going to want to try and claim their place. Especially the likes of Janssen, Wimmer, Davies, Trippier etc. who are all going to want to impress.

You then put in the hungry young talent like Winks, CCV, Onomah who are all going to want to impress and show they are every bit as good as the players in front of them etc.

I personally think we'll lose because I think Liverpool will put out a strong team and have home advantage, but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed if we get knocked out tonight.
I don't expect us to play the same 11 every game, the 1st 4 players you mentioned I rate and have no problems with them starting. But when you throw a load of youngsters on as well it ends up being a completely new team that have never played together before. That's when I think the gaffer is just using it to see individual players rather than trying to get a result.

Back
Top Bottom